Thread: Honda Ridgeline

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Honda Ridgeline

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    I find myself wishing that I had bought (well, leased) a Ridgeline instead of the Tacoma. I made that decision based on my experience with my 2004 Taco, which, besides the widespread (and ultimately murderous) frame rust issues, was the best vehicle I've ever owned. This one feels tinny, has a bizarre fuel management system that has it switching gears at odd times (or necessitating what feels like overdrive going over the smallest hills) and... get this... has rear drum brakes. Yes, I know that this isn't that big of a deal (especially in the rear) but.... really? It's 2018, and this was a transparent ploy for them to lower the price point of the truck. Toyota's statement has to do with "drums are better for off-road, can't get rocks stuck in the caliper, totally sealed, yada yada." Please.

It's not a terrible vehicle but it's a shade of its former self. Ridgeline seems to be where it's at for this class of pickup.
    I researched both the Tacoma and Ridgeline. After test driving the Honda, I didn't even both to test drive the Tacoma. It rides just like our Accord, only a bit higher and just tenny tiny bit stiffer. It's quiet and smooth and comfy. Heck, it might be quieter than the Accord actually.

The Taco is the better choice if you're doing serious off-roading, without a doubt. But otherwise, I think the Honda has it beat everywhere else (except for towing). I read about how the Tacomas seem to always be 'searching' for the right gear on the highway, and read about some leak issues, and drum brakes are dumb as well, I agree.

Also, I'll add, with this being my first pickup, I did not previous realize how freakin' expensive trucks are. Looking around at all of them on the road, and knowing now what they cost, I don't know how most folks afford them. They're obviously a high profit vehicle too, my wife's Accord cost about the same as my Ridgeline and it's got way more bells and whistles (leather interior, keyless/smart entry, moon roof, power seats with two memory positions, blind spot camera). I understand why Ford is ditching cars in the US...
    Last edited by dgaddis; 05-14-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around here (and most everywhere else, I assume), it's not uncommon at all to see guys (and gals) driving around in huge trucks that must cost at least $50-60 grand. People who aren't making anywhere near the kind of money to afford it (as in, that's more than they make in a year) and who don't need that kind of equipment for their job as the checkout dude at the local Sunoco station.

It's truly amazing.

In terms of the Tacoma's searching for the right gear, I was convinced that something was broken, or I had it in some type of mode where two of the cylinders were shut down for fuel efficiency, or something. Nope, it's just plain annoying, and well-known to all post-2016 Taco owners. Quite a thing when you have to peg it at 6,000 rpm, with the pedal to the floor, to get up that small rise in the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Around here (and most everywhere else, I assume), it's not uncommon at all to see guys (and gals) driving around in huge trucks that must cost at least $50-60 grand. People who aren't making anywhere near the kind of money to afford it (as in, that's more than they make in a year) and who don't need that kind of equipment for their job as the checkout dude at the local Sunoco station.

It's truly amazing.
    Exactly. And so many 4x4s that are lifted with big off-road tires - AND THEY'LL NEVER GET OFF PAVEMENT! Other than maybe parking in grass somewhere. I've done more 'off-roading' in my old Camry (which even did a few creek crossings!) and Civics than most trucks do.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Exactly. And so many 4x4s that are lifted with big off-road tires - AND THEY'LL NEVER GET OFF PAVEMENT! Other than maybe parking in grass somewhere. I've done more 'off-roading' in my old Camry (which even did a few creek crossings!) and Civics than most trucks do.
    The unspeakable things I did with a 1996 Civic... and nary a complaint from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amie has expressed interest in having a small pickup to drive once we move. I want to find a 2wd, short bed, regular cab Tacoma for her that isn't super old. See point above about $50-60K trucks with giant tires. Or 40K Tacomas. People are buying the wrong things new, and what we want basically doesn't exist as a decent, 4-5 year old used car.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

edit

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Also, I'll add, with this being my first pickup, I did not previous realize how freakin' expensive trucks are. Looking around at all of them on the road, and knowing now what they cost, I don't know how most folks afford them. They're obviously a high profit vehicle too, my wife's Accord cost about the same as my Ridgeline and it's got way more bells and whistles (leather interior, keyless/smart entry, moon roof, power seats with two memory positions, blind spot camera). I understand why Ford is ditching cars in the US...
    I recently saw an ad for some pickup truck and laughed. US$65K.

I know little about the pu/suv market other than the knowledge that margins for the manufacturers are huge...........and that Mercedes is entering the pu market.

As too affording these vehicles.........sizeable debt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's also remarkable to see high school (student) parking lots full of these $40-65K + trucks.
    (my high school ride was the 1983 Mazda GLC... I miss that car. Stolen from the Fenway area of Boston in 1992 and wrapped around a tree by the thief fleeing the police.)

083016-Barn-Finds-1985-Mazda-GLC-2.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obligatory 'get off my lawn' post but to chime in on the big pickups that the only thing they ever carry are the empties to the redemption center - I would just love to see the expression on the owner's face when we borrowed it to go up the wood road in the spring to gather the sap from the tank up at the end of the pipeline and come back down with a 275 gallon tank full to the brim. That's some four wheeling, especially before the snow melts. A '75 Chevy 3/4 ton 4WD with no extras at all... that's a pickup truck. These things now, they're a luxury car no two ways about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Amie has expressed interest in having a small pickup to drive once we move. I want to find a 2wd, short bed, regular cab Tacoma for her that isn't super old. See point above about $50-60K trucks with giant tires. Or 40K Tacomas. People are buying the wrong things new, and what we want basically doesn't exist as a decent, 4-5 year old used car.
    With what people want for a used Tacoma, unless you get a ton of miles, might as well buy new.

Toyota does have some cheap 'basic' Tacomas. Not sure how easily they are to find tho.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many of those pickups are leases? Leases make the profits on actually selling anything look small.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Before we bought our CX-9 I was trying to convince my wife to test drive a Ridgeline. Saw several reviews that said it drives better than the Pilot. The Ridgeline seems a rack option away from being family road trip ready.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ford Raptors a plenty in Portland/Vancouver area.

That is one serious monthly payment.

But I say the same thing about all these 5-10K pedal bikes people ride around too!
    Not Riding!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like sub-prime loans instead of leasing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...?noredirect=on

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sine View Post
    and that Mercedes is entering the pu market.

As too affording these vehicles.........sizeable debt.
    Mercedes short bed pickup mit Camper, take that puny F-350.

Unimog-flatbed-Four-Wheel-Camper-Daniel.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Sounds like sub-prime loans instead of leasing.

The surprising return of the repo man - The Washington Post
    I found this surprising. Well, not when I look at the cars on the street, but knowing how much folks make, it's surprising.

The average new car price has soared 20 percent over a decade, to $35,500, while wages have been sluggish.
    I read the article recently about Ford focusing exclusively on trucks and SUVS in the US (with the Mustang being the only 'car' they will offer), and they said their average vehicle sold was over $36k.

I'm an engineer and the wife is a nurse practitioner, so while we certainly aren't rich we do have above average income, but we've never spent more than $31k on a new vehicle including the taxes and fees and whatnot, so that's only about ~$27.5k for the vehicle itself.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The average new car price has soared 20 percent over a decade, to $35,500, while wages have been sluggish.
    The U.S. Census Bureau reported in September 2017 that real median household income was $59,039 in 2016.
    Let that sink in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let that sink in.
    There's a bridge I ride under sometimes that has a small parking lot full of cars that people live in. Today I noticed a Dodge Challenger and a newish F150 pickup as recent additions to the neighborhood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let that sink in.
    People "choose" to spend that much on a car knowing they cannot afford it so who is really to blame?
    (said in my best non-judgmental voice)

There are so many quality cars out there for less than $20,000 (golf, civic, fit, impreza, hyundai, etc.) so nobody must spend the average.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interestingly with a little digging you can find out how many of each model each brand sells every month.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The repo man’s comments about driving a Town Car versus driving a tow truck are pretty telling as well.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast