User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 29 of 112 FirstFirst ... 192021222324252627282930313233343536373839 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    Her stateside university should be making these decisions.
    I think Bill in consultation with his daughter get the final say here. I think she can petition to erase the semester and worse case you are just out one semester of college tuition. I price worth paying in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by holliscx View Post
    I don’t see the harm in going for a bike ride.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I agree within reason. One of the best ways to avoid illness is to stay healthy. Exercise promotes health. I’m not a young kid and I’m doing my best to exercise hoping it might give me an edge should I catch something. I’ve been solo commuting and riding/ hiking with my kids. We occasionally pass another person at a distance on a trail. No worse than if I had to go to the market for food. 6 feet distance.

I think that’s different than attending a group ride where people tend to be closer, and tend to socialize afterwards, or share a car ride to the event. I’m about to head off into the woods to promote cardiovascular health!
    Do not go on a group ride. Do not go eat and drink at a restaurant or coffee shop.

Right now we've got a chance to keep ourselves, our neighbors, and fellow citizens healthy by staying away from each other.

I'm not preaching or scolding - this message is really just sinking in for me (I sat in a local coffee shop for 30 minutes yesterday, feeling vaguely uneasy...) This astoundingly clear Washington Post story (that chik already linked!) really drove home the magnitude of what we're facing and the impact that our individual behavior has on our communities. And that our communities have on each individual!

Each of us is one of the dots in the WoPo graphics. If we can keep our distance from each other for a while, we can truly mitigate the impact of this pandemic. If we think - because we're young or athletic or whatever - that we'll be fine, we are wrong. I'm going to keep away from you, please keep your distance from me.

This doesn't mean (at least not yet, at least not here) staying inside. I'm just back from a long walk in the park. But every time someone approached me, I gave them 6-10' of berth. I got a few clueless looks, but more nods & smiles.

Quote Originally Posted by King Of Dirk View Post
    Were it not for service jobs like bartending, waiting tables and sales, I would never have been able to survive life from ages 14-25. I love those who provide services; they are my people.

Now fortunate enough to have disposable income, I want to go buy a coffee, or sit in a bar, or something to try to mitigate the economic shitshow this whole thing will effect. On the other hand, I have deep compassion and fear for those who must deal with the public as part of their jobs - if their jobs still exist. Is getting evicted and declaring bankruptcy better than contracting COVID-19?
    I really feel this, and it's heartbreaking to think that these people are going to suffer. I wish the social distancing worked with exceptions. I'm understanding that we've all got to stay away from people and places we care about. It sucks, but not as bad as hundreds of thousands of dead.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Can anyone speak to the validity of Business Insider as a legit news source?

If this is true, fuck DJT.

Trump administration tried to pay Germans for coronavirus cure - Business Insider

Apologies to those for whom fuck is a buzzword.
    Although I dislike DJT, this is the type of thing which is probably a plant via our good friends in Russia to sow anxiety and fear here.

It is originally from Welt am Sonntag a german paper. I'd be very skeptical. If I want to split Europe from America, then its the perfect story. If DJT really tried to do this, the best I can say is he is a 'useful idiot' . Gerhard Schroder is the former chancellor of Germany and a sellout now working for Gazprom and Rosneft.

I don't know if BI is a Russian front, but zeroHedge is.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    Although I dislike DJT, this is the type of thing which is probably a plant via our good friends in Russia to sow anxiety and fear here.

I'll refrain judgment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BI was started by Henry Blodget...one of the most prominent analysts leading to the dot com bust...he is banned permanently banned from the securities industry...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    BI was started by Henry Blodget...one of the most prominent analysts leading to the dot com bust...he is banned permanently banned from the securities industry...
    Yes, but BI was sold to Axel Springer a german publisher who is also the parent to Welt am Sonntag. See the connection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Can anyone speak to the validity of Business Insider as a legit news source?

If this is true, fuck DJT.

Trump administration tried to pay Germans for coronavirus cure - Business Insider

Apologies to those for whom fuck is a buzzword.
    No apologies needed.
    Political comments go here >> https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...one-54276.html

How to keep small business going during this is a pickle, I've got no answers. For the record, I'm not suspending my Yoga Studio monthly subscription and will not attend 'cause social distancing. Arrrg.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 03-15-2020 at 03:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Bill in consultation with his daughter get the final say here. I think she can petition to erase the semester and worse case you are just out one semester of college tuition. I price worth paying in my opinion.
    I am aware of many universities that have called their study abroad students back to the states, and have provided an avenue for them to finish their coursework online. If a student (and parent) are asked to navigate these challenges and decisions themselves, then I would hold that institution's feet to the fire.

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    No apologies needed.
    Political comments go here >> https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...one-54276.html
    Okay.

Move em over if nec.

Out for a ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, but BI was sold to Axel Springer a german publisher who is also the parent to Welt am Sonntag. See the connection.
    Got it...well at least zerohedge makes me laugh

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by funcrusher View Post
    Got it...well at least zerohedge makes me laugh
    zeroHedge is gateway drug to Alt-right for finance professionals. Its dangerous.
    Is Zero Hedge a Russian Trojan Horse? | The New Republic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Do not go on a group ride. Do not go eat and drink at a restaurant or coffee shop.

Right now we've got a chance to keep ourselves, our neighbors, and fellow citizens healthy by staying away from each other.

I'm not preaching or scolding - this message is really just sinking in for me (I sat in a local coffee shop for 30 minutes yesterday, feeling vaguely uneasy...) This astoundingly clear Washington Post story (that chik already linked!) really drove home the magnitude of what we're facing and the impact that our individual behavior has on our communities. And that our communities have on each individual!

Each of us is one of the dots in the WoPo graphics. If we can keep our distance from each other for a while, we can truly mitigate the impact of this pandemic. If we think - because we're young or athletic or whatever - that we'll be fine, we are wrong. I'm going to keep away from you, please keep your distance from me.

This doesn't mean (at least not yet, at least not here) staying inside. I'm just back from a long walk in the park. But every time someone approached me, I gave them 6-10' of berth. I got a few clueless looks, but more nods & smiles.

I really feel this, and it's heartbreaking to think that these people are going to suffer. I wish the social distancing worked with exceptions. I'm understanding that we've all got to stay away from people and places we care about. It sucks, but not as bad as hundreds of thousands of dead.
    Everyone read this five times, and then grab your Fiskars and spend an hour splitting next winter's firewood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zeroHedge is gateway drug to Alt-right for finance professionals. Its dangerous.
    Is Zero Hedge a Russian Trojan Horse? | The New Republic
    I am in finance and it is my guilty pleasure...pure comedy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Never mind. Missed the page fold.
    Last edited by j44ke; 03-15-2020 at 03:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is originally from Welt am Sonntag a german paper. I'd be very skeptical. If I want to split Europe from America, then its the perfect story. If DJT really tried to do this, the best I can say is he is a 'useful idiot' . Gerhard Schroder is the former chancellor of Germany and a sellout now working for Gazprom and Rosneft.

Just read in the NYT and elsewhere that Germany’s Health Ministry confirmed a report in Welt am Sonntag saying that the Trump administration had tried to lure CureVac to the United States (or to get exclusive rights to a vaccine that CureVac is developing), and the German government was making counter-offers to get CureVac to stay....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    I retired in January so the biggest thing for me is my all ready too small 401K. I was talking to my old PM on Friday and was told the hospital where we have been for 20 years has said all construction is on hold until further notice. Construction( at least hands on) is one of many jobs that can’t be done at home. Any other construction folks seeing the same thing? The companies other jobs are still underway but for how long? What a ripple effect when thinking about suppliers, subcontractors, etc.

Mike
    That's understandable at a hospital but not the case with other projects my form is working on. Yet. Face-to-face job meetings are being kept to a minimum, with conference calls and teleconferencing being ramped up.

Since many of our higher ed clients have essentially closed campus, we may in fact get earlier access for "summer slammer" projects but that has yet to be determined. This is changing daily.

Some big clients responded to previous challenges by investing in projects during a slowdown because they knew materials would be cheap and bids would be competitive. This could go either way, but I'm guessing contraction for the near term. Certainly because a lot of decisions won't get made over the next few weeks.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 03-15-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    I was told that the fine in Spain for cycling is €3k. That's a hefty sum that says they're serious. Can someone confirm?
    It’s €100 I believe. There are various offenses that creep up to astronomical figures but I’m sure the cycling fine is 100 and they were out today ticketing cyclists.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    I retired in January so the biggest thing for me is my all ready too small 401K. I was talking to my old PM on Friday and was told the hospital where we have been for 20 years has said all construction is on hold until further notice. Construction( at least hands on) is one of many jobs that can’t be done at home. Any other construction folks seeing the same thing? The companies other jobs are still underway but for how long? What a ripple effect when thinking about suppliers, subcontractors, etc.

Mike
    There are two gut-rehab SFH’s on my block and a massive mixed use development in my neighborhood- both were full steam ahead on Fri/Sat this week.

Hospitals, I completely understand pausing work unless it’s to build more COVID related capacity.
    I’m in a similar business and we put a pause on all renovation work while this shakes out, due to the high risk nature of our population.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by happycampyer View Post
    Just read in the NYT and elsewhere that Germany’s Health Ministry confirmed a report in Welt am Sonntag saying that the Trump administration had tried to lure CureVac to the United States (or to get exclusive rights to a vaccine that CureVac is developing), and the German government was making counter-offers to get CureVac to stay....
    Then DJT is Putin's useful idiot.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=mnoble485;994935]I retired in January so the biggest thing for me is my all ready too small 401K. I was talking to my old PM on Friday and was told the hospital where we have been for 20 years has said all construction is on hold until further notice. Construction( at least hands on) is one of many jobs that can’t be done at home. Any other construction folks seeing the same thing? The companies other jobs are still underway but for how long? What a ripple effect when thinking about suppliers, subcontractors, etc.

I’m a contractor-although I am in a very small rural area-it hasn’t changed much.. but really I live in a rural area where people do not want to be told what to do and brag about how uneducated they are like it’s a badge of honor.. luckily the 3 guys that work for me are smart caring guys that can see the bigger picture-sadly we might be the acception here

We had a massive tornado last week and construction at full stroke-I don’t see that slowing down

Blue collar work is hard to pin down.. usually these guys are check to check and more macho than they need to be..
    The project I’m finishing now is 4 loft apartments and we only have 4 guys on site.. not sure what I can do here. They work for me-but I get paid based on the work I do and bill out.

I have plenty of shop work to keep me busy but I’m not sure I can keep these guys rolling for too long-

Construction will not stop here-we can’t do this from home
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips