User Tag List

Page 28 of 146 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

We've been making "kale chips" lately. Spread kale on a cookie tray, dash of sea salt, bake in the oven until crispy. Could not be simpler, and a delicious snack or appetizer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Braised Country-style Pork Ribs for me and my Lady friend tonight. Winding Brook Farm is where the Pigs who supplied the Ribs came from. They're kind of like bone in Loin Chops. Big and juicy and delectable. Especially when they're falling apart after braising for hours. Pics and full recipe to follow.
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Asked the butcher at publix if there is any veal in the back. He comes out with two beautiful shanks that he cut into 3 nice portions each. I braised them in a home made vindaloo with tons of tamarind and a little extra mustard seed. It was amazing. I’ll take pics next time.

Is anyone else cooking Indian at home? What are you making?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Double Header Weekend...
    'cross on the 'puter, Pats on the tube, hummm

It's an encha-lotta par-tay.

Leftovers for ranch eggs in the morning. Yum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gt6267a View Post
    Asked the butcher at publix if there is any veal in the back. He comes out with two beautiful shanks that he cut into 3 nice portions each. I braised them in a home made vindaloo with tons of tamarind and a little extra mustard seed. It was amazing. I’ll take pics next time.

Is anyone else cooking Indian at home? What are you making?
    I make a quick dal every couple weeks for myself. Queen does not love it :(
    Very simple and super satisfying, I could live on it.
    Use an small Hawkins brand pressure pot, lentils and put the tumeric in with the lentils during cooking and add the pan prepp'd goodies after.

•1 cup yellow split peas, uncooked
    •2 cups water or vegetable broth
    •1 tsp turmeric
    •1/4 tsp cayenne
    •1/2 tsp salt
    •1 tbsp butter
    •1 onion, diced
    •1 1/2 tsp cumin, whole seeds or ground and toasted ( spin them in a spice grinder after toasting)
    •2 whole cloves (very optional I like it)
    •hot pepper, go nuts. I like it very hot.
    Preparation:In pressure pot add lentils and broth follow directions and cook for 8 mins. Once finished, cool open and add cayenne and salt let sit.

In a large skillet or frying pan, heat the onion, cumin and clove in the butter Cook for 4 to 6 minutes, until onion is soft. Add the onion and spices to the split peas directly to the pan and allow to simmer for at least 5 more minutes.
    Add more pepper and more salt, if desired, and serve hot with super long grained basmati rice

*** I personally like to add some crushed tomatoe and or finely chopped spinach some don't like it.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-12-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A little help.
    For NYE one of the main dishes will be a large poached salmon fillet. This comes out silky.
    RiHans or others with good ideas. The poaching liquid is always fun to mess with. Below is what I've come up with.
    · sliced onion
    · coriander seed
    · turmeric
    · bay leaf
    · peppercorns
    · habaneros
    · orange juice
    · white wine
    · garlic
    · salt

Goes with choices of red potatoes, dark pumpernickle bread or wild rice and Lemon Mint Tzatziki ontheside.

How am I doing?

I tend to cook this to an scarely low temp and leave it on warm until served. Nobody's died so far.

Second main course is prob. is classic Jewish soul food an beef brisket straight up, sliced and served with carrots and the above sides. Winner?
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-12-2010 at 08:40 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found some ginger syrup here. That stuff is pretty magic.

In any event, shame on you for fishing for compliments on your cooking chops. You rock the stove and what you are thinking is probably correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tall Guy...

That sounds like a court boullion to me, kicked up. Perfect for fish. If I had it on hand, toss in fresh parsley and halved lemons...

A classic garnish for poached fish is Remoulade Sauce. If you got time, I really like Cumberland Sauce.

I used this book all the time as a new cook to keep it all straight. The CIA books are the best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10-4. Yah it is a court bullion as you say I just don't have that kind of (cough) class to pull off saying it ;) Good call on the parsley and a of lemon for that freshness.

If I can get away with one sauce on the side I'd do it. ok ok I'll make an Remoulade for the fish AND grind some horseradish this week to sit and mellow for the brisket....always pays to do it right.

Dewd, I've been thinking about hawking my NYC style dill pickles for chit's n' grins. It would be fun to setup a table at a few markets odd weekends. Vinegar prep'd horseradish would be my other "go to" items to sell...it is so easy, safe and unusual. Nuts eh? No $$ in it but I like shooting the breeze and making food.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are the pork Ribs. Sorry it took so long for pics. Boy were they good. Braised with carrot, onion, leek, garlic, thyme, parsley, bay leaf. Used leftover braising liquid from last time I did this recipe and some chicken stock. Seared the ribs in pork fat of course. Really Freakin Good!

Winding Brook Farm Morrisville Vt. Country style Pork Ribs.

Sweat the veggies

Ready to braise!

p.s. i'm doing a rack of lamb tonight. I"ll post those pics later!
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did some pork loin sirloin chops on the grill, finished with a pineapple salsa. I made the salsa with a low acid/super sweet maui pineapple, little hawaiian chili peppers and cilantro from the garden, sweet onion, sea salt, and lime juice. The wife made this sweet onion bread from a recipe that I found in a magazine that she brought home. Really easy and good, although next time it will be all white flour instead of 50/50 mix with wheat. The salsa needs more cilantro and some time to come together. Hit me up for the bread recipe if you want to give it a try. Leftover was really good toasted with some breakfast sausage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mauna, pm me that onion bread recipe. We are BIG fans of cebolla. Peace.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is lifted directly from the fall 2010 edition of Edible Hawaiian Islands magazine. There are other recipes in there that also look really good. Putting it here so I don't have to type it again if someone else wants it. Enjoy!

Rustic Maui Onion Bread

2 cups lukewarm water (80-90 deg F)
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1 tablespoon active dry yeast OR 15g fresh active yeast
    5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    2 teaspoons salt
    3 1/2 to 4 cups all purpose flour (can be made w/ half wheat and half white - see my notes above)
    reserve 1/2 cup flour

Topping: caramelized maui (sweet) onions

1 large maui onion, thinly sliced
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    3 tablespoons brown sugar

Put 2 cups lukewarm water in large bowl. Stir in sugar. Sprinkle yeast over top of water and allow to soften for 20 minutes in a warm area.

Add to the yeast mixture the olive oil, salt and one cup of flour. Stir with a large whisk until all lumps disappear. Add flour, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring vigorously after each addition. Dough should be soft, sticky and not complely smooth looking. Whisk in the reserved 1/2 cup of flour if the dough is still soft.

Oil a large bowl and scrape the dough into it. Drizzle with oil to make sure the surface of the dough is oiled enough so as not to form a crust. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm draft free area until doubled in volume, about 45 min to 1 hr. Do not punch down (If you are making ahead for baking the next day, place in reftig. before allowing to rise)

While bread is proofing, heat a large saute pan over a medium flame, add the oil and onions, stirring until the onions brown. Add the brown sugar to further caramelize the onions. Let cool. Can be made a day ahead and stored in refrig until needed.

For same day bread, when dough has doubled, do not punch down. Oil a 15" x 10" x 1" baking sheet. Slide dough out into prepared pan. Dough will be soft and will slide easily

Gently pull, stretch, and push dough so that it covers sheet and fills corners. Brush the dough with another 1 tablespoon olive oil, cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm draft free area until puffed, about 1.5 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 deg F and place rack in center of oven. Bake until golden brown about 35-40 min. Bread will be done when edges have a hollow sound when tapped with your fingers. Allow to cool for a couple of minutes and then transfer to rack to continue cooling.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks brah. peace and smooth pave/big waves.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey! I made a trial run of the poached salmon this eve. with little modification. I like to chew my herbs and people should know better than to eat a bay leaf ;)
    The cook came out very silky, nice texture and did not lose it's firmness. This is a subtle dish and I'd kick up the zing factor if you are reading and want to make this. A sly dash of cayenne pepper or an small infusion of chipolte....yup. Needs zip. This will kill.

Also made an str. up Italian Calamari warm salad. This is very simple and great. Saute minced garlic, add minced canned tomatoes, pepper flakes, add seasoned calamari until they ring up, strain lightly and add dressing consisting of EVO/Lemon zest/salt,pepper/lemon juice/capers and toss. < Killer first course.

Y'all are on notice to take NYE pics of people and food.

He who eats the most desserts wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    A little help.
    For NYE one of the main dishes will be a large poached salmon fillet. This comes out silky.
    RiHans or others with good ideas. The poaching liquid is always fun to mess with. Below is what I've come up with.
    · sliced onion
    · coriander seed
    · turmeric
    · bay leaf
    · peppercorns
    · habaneros
    · orange juice
    · white wine
    · garlic
    · salt

Goes with choices of red potatoes, dark pumpernickle bread or wild rice and Lemon Mint Tzatziki ontheside.

How am I doing?

I tend to cook this to an scarely low temp and leave it on warm until served. Nobody's died so far.

Second main course is prob. is classic Jewish soul food an beef brisket straight up, sliced and served with carrots and the above sides. Winner?
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-19-2010 at 06:54 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

xmas eve:
    pork belly
    sprouts
    homemade bread

xmas day:
    smoked salmon on bread w/ rocket and lemon
    whole goose
    sausage stuffing
    lardon sprouts
    roast potatoes & parsnips
    pinot noir champagne
    some spanish red

boxing day party:
    beef and cheddar sliders
    lamd and tzatzikit sliders
    roasted veg
    orzo salad

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christmas dinner. We kept it low key.

Rotisserie leg of lamb with the normal marinade, and a mix of chopped garlic, parsley and feta tied into the cavity where the bone went. Note to self - cut up garlic a lot smaller.....
    Baked okinawan sweet potato
    Shredded brussels sprouts sauteed with bacon and onion
    Onion bread from the recipe posted earlier in the thread.
    Yum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

breakfast yesterday

hearty bread pudding with fresh cranberries. served it with a fresh apple compote on the side.

breakfast today

oatcake pastries filled with fresh apple-ginger compote. one of these fed my wife and I. these are the two leftovers!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 10lb rack of pork spareribs that will find their way to the grill later this afternoon. Cuban black beans as a side. Beer. More beer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I have a 10lb rack of pork spareribs that will find their way to the grill later this afternoon. Cuban black beans as a side. Beer. More beer.
    Interested in how you will prepare the Cuban-style black beans. They are a staple in this house.

Troegs Pale Ale at the moment.