User Tag List

Page 28 of 103 FirstFirst ... 181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast

Thread: Richard Sachs Cycles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Richard Sachs Cycles

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    Back then these were crack & peel stickers. Maybe they were removed.
    makes sense, thanks again for the info

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

atmo karaoke -

i will be chatting with chris kelly at 4pm EST tomorrow...
    Bike Talk | KVMR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nick will be at my NAHBS booth (508 & 510) and we'll have copies of these to sell atmo -

Richard Sachs :: Bicycle Maker | RICHARD SACHS CYCLES

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Third line down. Sold to Toga Bike Shop in 1979. The 412th or so branded RS frame.

Crazy! That was over 30 years ago.... How many RS branded frames do you estimate you've made? How many do you make annually nowadays?

That's a lot of bikes if you had already done 400+ before 1980 and you've been producing steadily since then. Wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Crazy! That was over 30 years ago.... How many RS branded frames do you estimate you've made? How many do you make annually nowadays?

That's a lot of bikes if you had already done 400+ before 1980 and you've been producing steadily since then. Wow!
    I make fewer frames now, know full well that they're exponentially better than ever (to say nothing about comparisons with a long ago past), charge a lot more, and sleep very well at night. It's all been written about somewhere in the Smoked Out pages I keep so do a search. A point in time came when I decided I was done with workaholism and doing the 24/7 thing, and wanted more in life than a just view of my bench.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I make fewer frames now, know full well that they're exponentially better than ever (to say nothing about comparisons with a long ago past), charge a lot more, and sleep very well at night. It's all been written about somewhere in the Smoked Out pages I keep so do a search. A point in time came when I decided I was done with workaholism and doing the 24/7 thing, and wanted more in life than a just view of my bench.
    You've got a darn nice view from your current bench - just need to look out the window once in a while.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a cool book. Can you describe the columns, seems to be a mix of cm and inches ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    It's a cool book. Can you describe the columns, seems to be a mix of cm and inches ?
    That page was in the 1970s and the imperial thing didn't continue much further. I think there are about six books in all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post

Mr Sachs

What made you keep a running/history book??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default my SAC weekend atmo -

I actually had a very nice time atmo.
    Wrote this on the train to San Francisco -

Toto, I’ve A Feeling We’re Not In Houston Any More | RICHARD SACHS CYCLES

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: my SAC weekend atmo -

"fashion being fleeting but style being forever"- no truer words.

Powerful piece ATMO- made me cheer a little harder for guys/gals behind the torch and at the same time raise a glass to fiscal "health" of the those who may not make it.

On a seperate note- what bike at the show made you want to ride the most? (not your own- I am not sure why this question always comes to the front of my mind when thinking of builders).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good read Richard. I felt the same looking thru the tubes. Too much, too many, and with some of the mtb's I would need a slow motion video to understand how some of the mechanisms function. I made the Portland show a few years back, and was overwhelmed there also. This year looks like I would have been looking for a beer even sooner.

I'm glad it was a successful investment. Now you can have some quiet time with your torch.

Byron

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From Self-Knowledge and Self-Discipline, 1916
    By Basil William Maturin

"We do not endure [self-discipline] merely for its own sake, but for what lies beyond it. And we bear those acts of self-denial and self-restraint because we feel and know full well that through such acts alone can we regain the mastery over all our misused powers and learn to use them with a vigour and a joy such as we have never known before…

It is as though one who had a great talent for music but had no technical training, and consequently could never produce the best results of his art, were to put himself under a great master. The first lessons he will have to learn will be, for the most part, to correct his mistakes, not to do this and not to do that; it will seem to him that he has lost all his former freedom of expression, that he is held back by all sorts of technical rules, that whenever he seeks to let himself go he is checked and hampered. And it is no doubt true. But he will soon begin to realise that as he learns more and suffers in the learning, possibilities of utterance reveal themselves which he has never dreamed of. He knows, he feels, that he is on the right path, and as the channels are prepared and the barriers against the old bad methods more firmly fixed, he feels the mighty tide of his genius rise and swell, he hears the shout of the gathering waters as they sweep before them every obstacle and pour forth in a mad torrent of glorious sound...."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen Richard.

Before, I eagerly looked forward to seeing the NAHBS photo posts. After about 100 pictures this time, I was struck with:
    - I hate artisanal "porteurs"
    - I hate artisanal "cargo bikes"
    - I am starting to nearly even hate "randonneuses"

A lot of the stuff is starting to look very "I put a bird on it!" It's all a bit precious. More bikes that look like bikes that go fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was there early Friday. I had a little chat with Mark Majaco.

He had a low-key booth. One bike. No gee-whiz stuff, no gawkers, no giveaways or fancy business cards. Just a guy and a bike, and a very self-effacing guy at that.

No doubt it cost Majaco thousands just to be there. Yet there he was amidst everything else. In my mind, a stark contrast to everything else going on. I enjoyed the whiz-bang bikes too, but I think I'll remember Majaco the most.

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I actually thought that there was less crazy rococo shit this year than the impression I got from years past. Which leads me to think, maybe it's about the focus, and what the (social) media pushes.

In the "best of" thread here, I was going to nominate Paul Sadoff for "best booth". He didn't have a bike newer than 5 years old, I think, and the only adornments were medals from racing, a PBP race plate and the type of wear that only happens when you ride the piss out of a bike. However, I didn't put it on the thread because I couldn't find a picture of it in anyone's photostream (might have been my fault for missing it). So while my eye was drawn to the proper race bikes that were all over, maybe that's not what gets the airtime outside of the halls? Or maybe this is more about a specific lack of new/newer builders with straight-up bikes and my reading comprehension is lacking.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Amen Richard.

Before, I eagerly looked forward to seeing the NAHBS photo posts. After about 100 pictures this time, I was struck with:
    - I hate artisanal "porteurs"
    - I hate artisanal "cargo bikes"
    - I am starting to nearly even hate "randonneuses"

A lot of the stuff is starting to look very "I put a bird on it!" It's all a bit precious. More bikes that look like bikes that go fast.
    Any bike that gets ridden is a good bike.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been to 5 NAHBS now and have to agree w/ Richard's reaction. When I go there I find myself extremely uninterested in the transport, next wave of painted fender rando bikes, brew keg, coffee customs, or wooden bikes. There is a lot of experimentation which borders on the Little Rascals build a go-cart school of design and engineering. I'm not trying to be cynical or mean spirited but as a hobby I get it, as a bicycle to ride and a business I just don't get why some of these things came to be.

Quote Originally Posted by the bottle ride View Post
    On a seperate note[/B]- what bike at the show made you want to ride the most? (not your own- I am not sure why this question always comes to the front of my mind when thinking of builders).
    Naked Adventure Sport - their bikes usually don't interest me that much, the jewelry aspect of them is not for me, but this thing rocks
    Della Santa - road bikes for people that ride
    Gaulzetti - Porsche 911SC of bicycles
    Zullo - highly unpublicisized sleeper bikes, mine was the one with cherries - can't wait to build it up

Andy Sohn
    SF CA