Thread: Espresso machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Espresso machines

Quote Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
    I've never tried that brand, but I ordered some Gran Crema beans. Lavazza has a few different ones, any particular reason you go with Gran Crema?
    It's a little more robust than the Gran Aroma but they're all good imho. My local store carries the Gran Aroma and Gran Crema so I mix it up from time to time. I also pick up a pound of beans when I'm in Seattle every month from Cafe Darte as I really like their Parioli when I'm pulling some shots at home.

Whole Beans - Arabica and Robusta Coffee Beans | Lavazza

Parioli(R) Espresso

– Caffe D'arte Coffee Roasters
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you, I'm a sucker for trying different ones, I'll have to try those as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kytyree View Post
    I enjoyed reading that. I'm curious what those Cimbali machines he mentioned are selling for elsewhere. My cursory internet search showed them to far from cheap.
    Way back when I started a shop, I bought a la Cimbali M29 Basic 2 group machine for $4k, but only because another shop backed out of purchase and the distributor didn't think he could sell such a manual beast easily. It didn't have any bells or whistles, but was built like a tank -- 165lb dry, 30A 220V, 11 liter boiler, etc. It was tough as nails. The only adjustment was by using a long screwdriver and adjusting the boiler pressure. Once that is dialed in, they have so much power and thermal mass that they can pull shots 24x7. Other shops using the same beans never got as sweet a shot minus bitterness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Eustachio is a definite stop if in Rome. The full name is Sant Eustacchio il Caffe. I ordered coffee, paid, and then it was in my hand. There are a couple of public Caravaggios nearby (check open hours) so go have a coffee, see a Caravaggio, ponder why you don't live in Rome.

When I was in Prague, I met the Illy rep for the CR. He was Italian of course. He said Illy doesn't export the beans it sells in Italy. Might be hooey, but I've had Illy in Italy and it tasted great. Of course, it was also in Italy. Everything tastes better when you are in Italy. Except Lavazza. Lavazza doesn't taste good anywhere in the world. My humble opinion.

I think the most accurate reason in that essay about why espresso is better in Italy is that the machines are on all day long every day and pull thousands of shots and (according to the Illy rep) they never get cleaned inside. Wiped down outside, sure, but the insides are fully coated with coffee oil. And the guy making your coffee has made thousands of shots before you arrived. Because in Italy, you don't get to make thousands of shots if they aren't any good.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    It didn't have any bells or whistles, but was built like a tank -- 165lb dry, 30A 220V, 11 liter boiler, etc.
    That sounds awesome, but I'd probably need to reinforce my kitchen counter just to hold it, if I even have room for it. It could definitely keep up with own personal use though!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have a few one-group machines that are also built as well as anything anywhere -- still 70lb or more but this is VS, so why not. The funny thing for me is that while my machine was very manual, Professional espresso coffee machines | La Cimbali has the most automatic of all systems, including a setup where the brewer talks to the grinder over bluetooth and adjusts its grind and dose. Their milk foaming system is almost scary, and for a super-auto setup, even their first attempts a decade ago were pretty good in the results department. The Easter Egg in the design is that if you try to make a Frappuccino, it gets afraid and says it can't do that, Dave. ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had been getting some sub-optimal pulls lately, and couldn't figure it out. everything was checking out, but i noticed some odd moisture on the lip of my portafilter. i took the easy route and ordered a new grouphead gasket (Cafelat 8.5mm silicone) and shower screen ($4 job from espressoparts.com)...

eureka. blew my mind the difference. i got a year out of the group gasket and screen. total for parts was $9 with shipping. bargain for a as-good-as-new machine.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    i had been getting some sub-optimal pulls lately, and couldn't figure it out. everything was checking out, but i noticed some odd moisture on the lip of my portafilter. i took the easy route and ordered a new grouphead gasket (Cafelat 8.5mm silicone) and shower screen ($4 job from espressoparts.com)...eureka. blew my mind the difference. i got a year out of the group gasket and screen. total for parts was $9 with shipping. bargain for a as-good-as-new machine.
    Had the same issue about 3-4 months ago and a new little rubber gasket saved the day.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Newport Rhode Island ---> Tijuana Mexico 2021
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just received a used Rancillio Miss Silvia as a Christmas present. Like I would do with a used bike, I did a full deep cleaning and replaced the gasket. It has a PID installed. I am just starting to learn how to use it, and also received a cool book titled The Handbook of Latte art to get me on my way. It is written in both japanese and english so I can refresh my japanese.

C1887C9A-FD21-4A0F-8F2E-5AAACAF9E6A9.jpg
    729E70EE-139A-4CED-8D2A-DA63A146836D.jpg
    9519B97B-BFF5-41EA-AD72-C3419A0EFB4B.jpg
    Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a PID'd Silvia for years, a good little unit. I gave it to my sister when I came across a VBM for almost no money because it had a blown control unit*.

IMO if you drink espresso the Silvia is 80% of the performance of the bigger units, there is more benefit to be had upgrading your grinder than the Silvia. Its only real drawback is the time it takes to make a milkydrinks due to the change in PID setting.

* The Gicar control units in many espresso machines are crazy expensive so I made my own unit which cost 1/4 the amount and works better anyway.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yashkatsumi View Post
    I just received a used Rancillio Miss Silvia as a Christmas present. Like I would do with a used bike, I did a full deep cleaning and replaced the gasket. It has a PID installed. I am just starting to learn how to use it, and also received a cool book titled The Handbook of Latte art to get me on my way. It is written in both japanese and english so I can refresh my japanese.

C1887C9A-FD21-4A0F-8F2E-5AAACAF9E6A9.jpg
    729E70EE-139A-4CED-8D2A-DA63A146836D.jpg
    9519B97B-BFF5-41EA-AD72-C3419A0EFB4B.jpg
    Ogawa is a cool place, I've enjoyed plenty good coffee there, its generally my "things are going really shitty at work and I need to reset" and does the job. They also have a good cookie, which, if I'm going to get an expensive coffee is a necessity to me.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yashkatsumi View Post
    Congrats. I've heard a lot of good things about those machines.
    As for my advice - have fun with the art but concentrate on the grind. Dial that grinder in and everything else falls into place.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    Congrats. I've heard a lot of good things about those machines.
    As for my advice - have fun with the art but concentrate on the grind. Dial that grinder in and everything else falls into place.
    We hosted about ten people for a post run breakfast and I had a chance to really use the machine. For training, I tested out different grain sizes. The last couple of shots came out almost perfect!
    Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent way to get the practice!
    Much better than my method of pulling a shot, taking a sip, tossing it, pulling another, and repeat. By the time I was finished I ran thru 1lb of beans and consumed the equivalent of 5 double shots at 11:00pm. Shaking hands and tunnel vision. Not the most brilliant of plans.
    Rick

If the process is more important than the result, you play. If the result is more important than the process, you work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ras72 View Post
    Excellent way to get the practice!
    Much better than my method of pulling a shot, taking a sip, tossing it, pulling another, and repeat. By the time I was finished I ran thru 1lb of beans and consumed the equivalent of 5 double shots at 11:00pm. Shaking hands and tunnel vision. Not the most brilliant of plans.
    I was bored and I did the same exact thing a week ago. I was up until 4 am, in and out of sleep, having nightmares about choosing file tread tires for a muddy course. No more espresso after sundown.
    Yash Katsumi

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Espresso machines

My friends are fans of the cool Francis Francis! espresso machines.
    The drinks they serve are consistently tasty, so certainly considering one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have not been able to break through my wife's resistance to a double boiler machine with separate grinder and porta-filter and etc., so I think we are going to buy one of these for what I think is an embarrassing amount of money but my wife will actually use it.

Last edited by j44ke; 01-16-2020 at 07:12 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We just got back from a week of holidays. We used one of these...

NANOPRESSO– Wacaco

It was really, really good. Really.

Won't be travelling without it.
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My beloved Bezzera Giulia has been neglected for too long. For over a year I was trying to arrange a deep maintenance servicing with a shop and things kept getting in between...
    In the end, as I was looking at some exploded views of the machine and found an excellent informative and friendly online parts shop in the Netherlands, I decided to give it a try myself...

Started with a good descaling session last weekend, then took the E61 group apart. Cleaned everything and replaced gaskets, O-rings, valves... Checked pump pressure and volume...
    Very satisfying work; learning something new and become more independent!

So after some test runs this morning to check for leaks and after getting some super fresh beans delivered this afternoon I dialed in on the grinding for that perfect doppio...
    I hit the sweet spot with 20g of ground coffee and a 25 seconds pull for a 2 oz doppio. Thick and tiger skin coloured crema - solid and round taste - very nice !

But - I don't know if I should care about this or not - preinfusion was over 10 seconds... Probably closer to 15 seconds... I'd think the proof of the doppio is in the tasting (which was great).
    Given that I've set the pump pressure at 10 bar and get an ounce of overflow (if that is the correct term) while back flushing in 10 seconds I don't know what other variable could be adjusted, if it should be adjusted to start with ?
    . K R I S T O F . D H .

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by preinfusion, are you referring to the time from lever flip to first drop?
    -Dustin