User Tag List

Page 27 of 146 FirstFirst ... 171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Homecoming Weekend, Jesi asks, "Hey Dad could you cook for some of my friends". Brie with caramelized onions and thyme, Caesar Salad, Baked Ziti you've seen here before, and ZabaLiogne with strawberries. They eat to fast for pictures but there haven't been any leftovers yet. :>) Good group of young people make me hopeful for the future. Time to go cook some more. Have a great weekend all.

Frank

Oh yeah the good china, sanP in the flutes and lot's of laughs and giggles.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Braised Beef Short Ribs with Pomegranite BBQ

This recipe is out of Primal Cuts, by Marissa Guggiana. The recipe belongs to Tia Harrison of Avedano's in California.

Braise:
    4 beef short ribs, cut thick and at least 2.5 in long (approximately 3.5 lbs.)
    salt and pepper
    2tbsp olive oil (I used rendered beef fat but not everyone's crazy enough like me to have that around)
    1 large carrot, diced
    1/2 medium white onion
    3 celery stalks (I used leeks from my garden)
    1 bay leaf
    4 cups beef stock

Season short ribs with salt and pepper to taste. Heat olive oil (or beef fat, duck fat, lard etc.) in a saute pan. sear ribs on both sides and place in a braising pan with vegetables bay leaf and stock. Bring to boil and reduce to simmer cover and simmer for 3 hours. I'll update with more pictures and the next steps in the process!

braised beef short ribs 001.jpg
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Braised Beef Short Ribs with Pomegranite BBQ pt 2

Oh yeah. Part 2
    Sauce:
    1/2 white onion
    4 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup red wine vinegar
    2 cups pomegranate juice
    4 cups ketchup
    1 tablespoon mustard powder
    1/2 cup cola (I don't like to cook with HFCS so I upped the brown sugar instead)
    1/4 cup brown sugar (I used like third or half a cup)
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke (wtf is liquified wood smoke?? I used smoked chili's instead)
    1 tablespoon chili flakes (smoked chili flakes more than make up for no liquid smoke)
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 teaspoons cracked black pepper

braised beef short ribs 005.jpg

While the beef is braising puree onion garlic and red wine vinegar in a food processor
    add with all other ingredients in a sauce pan and simmer for an hour or until reduced by half

braised beef short ribs 009.jpg

Take the braised beef (this is 3 hours after the pic from the first post)

braised beef short ribs 003.jpg

put it into a shallow baking dish discarding the bones and some of the fat (if you wish). I put the bones back in with the braising liquid and cooked it further. That'll be some fabulous concentrated stock i'll freeze and use for something else.(that pic is last)

braised beef short ribs 008.jpg

pour over the beef and Broil for 4 to 5 minutes per side (can't really flip beef that's falling apart like this. I just did it for 10ish minutes total and stirred it around halfway through.

braised beef short ribs 010.jpg

This is the finished dish and holy shite it was good. Definitely will make this again and also would definitely recommend a similar situation with a big hunk of pork. Tons of sauce leftover (like 2cups) and probably more than that of concentrated beef broth with a beautiful golden layer of fat that can be saved and used for things like browning the ribs in this recipe the next time you make it!!!!!

braised beef short ribs 012.jpg

This below is the veggies and bones cooking more while I ate and cleaned up. Strain it and put it into your fridge before bed.

braised beef short ribs 011.jpg

I'll throw up a picture of the leftover stock/bbq sauce tomorrow because in my opinion those are some of the best parts of doing a meal like this! Start with this stock next time and get twice the flavor. Use the fat for cooking. BBQ on anything that likes bbq I had my doubts about pomegranate bbq at first but it's not overly fruity or sweet. balanced with the smoky hotness of the smoekd chili flakes it was really really good.

until next time...
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks killer. I want some.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Braised Beef Short Ribs with Pomegranite BBQ pt 2

This was just passed along to me by the better half. Her college is serving this as a fundraiser. Rumor has it that some of the shrimp is fresh from the farm on da north shore. Caution: these recipes are for large crowds. Invite friends over to share.

http://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/vincent/...lf_Recipes.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good friend of ours made pumpkin pancakes on Saturday morning. Originally from another friend's food blog.

On a cool fall morning I can't imagine a better breakfast.

3/4 cup whole wheat flour*
    1/2 cup all purpose flour
    2 tbsp brown sugar
    2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    3/4 tsp cinnamon
    1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
    dash of ground ginger*
    dash of ground cloves*
    1 cup milk
    1/2 cup pumpkin puree
    1 large egg
    1 tbsp vegetable oil or melted butter

Directions:

In large bowl, whisk together flours, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, and spices. Set aside.

In medium bowl, whisk together milk, pumpkin, egg, and oil/butter. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until just combined (it may be still lumpy).

Cook pancakes as usual on a preheated skillet. Keep pancakes warm in microwave or preheated oven until ready to serve. Serve with cinnamon sugar, whipped cream, or maple syrup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saturday night was pecan crusted ruffed grouse, seared kale with garlic and lemon, and whole wheat bread. More fall goodness.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is from Anne Burrell. This is an unlikely dish becuase it seems more complicated that it is. In reality a no-brainer recipe that should work perfect with any poultry. Use the larg(er) beade couscous and homemade stock. Goes great with a good old fashion romain leafs (whole) tossed in an cesar dressing.

==================
    Roasted Garlic Chicken with couscous

Garlic Roasted Chicken with couscous

2 whole garlic bulbs
    1 lemon, zested and juiced
    1 large bunch thyme, leaves only
    1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted and ground
    Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    Kosher salt
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    1 (4 to 5-pound) chicken, cut into 8 to 10 parts

Couscous:
    Kosher salt
    2 cups medium-size Israeli couscous
    Extra-virgin olive oil
    1 large onion, sliced
    3 ribs celery, sliced thin on the bias
    Pinch crushed red pepper flakes
    1 1/2 cups dry white wine
    3 tablespoons tomato paste
    Large pinch saffron
    2 zucchini, green part only, cut into 1/2-inch dice
    2 to 3 cups chicken stock
    1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
    3 scallions, white and green, sliced thinly on the bias

Directions
    Chicken:
    Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Put the garlic bulbs in a small tin and roast them until they are soft when squeezed, about 30 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let cool.
    When the garlic bulbs are cool, slice the tops off and squeeze out the roasted garlic. Add the garlic to a food processor or a bowl, along with the lemon zest, lemon juice, thyme, cumin, crushed red pepper and salt, to taste. Add a little olive oil and puree or mash into a loose paste. Massage the mixture all over the chicken pieces and let sit for at least 1 hour.
    Couscous:
    Bring a pot of well salted water to a boil, over medium heat. Add the couscous and cook it until it's about 2/3 of the way cooked, about 5 to 6 minutes. Drain and reserve.
    Coat a large saute pan with olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken to the pan and brown it on all sides. Remove it to a plate, drain the fat and add the onions and celery. Season with salt, to taste, and the crushed red pepper. Deglaze with white wine, scraping up all the crud on the bottom of the pan and cook the onions and celery for 7 to 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for another 2 minutes. Add in the saffron, zucchini, cooked couscous, and chicken stock. Stir to combine, then taste and adjust seasoning, if needed. Transfer the mix to an ovenproof dish. Nestle the chicken, skin side up, in the couscous and cover with foil. Add some more chicken stock to keep everything nice and moist. Sprinkle with pine nuts and cover with foil. Place the baking dish on a sheet pan.
    Roast the chicken for 20 minutes, covered, then remove the foil and roast for another 10 to 15 minutes.
    Remove the chicken from the oven and top with scallions before serving.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Short ribs cooked for 7 hours in homemade stock.
    Blue cheez mashed potaters
    Sauteed kale
    Red Sancerre, which according to my wife (ATMW?) is a rare and delightful think to get ahold of around these parts.

Perfect autumn meal.

Chasing it all with Ommegang Rare Vos and watching football.

PS- had a donut on the way back from cx race this morning, then an egg, hash browns, and Taylor Ham for lunch. It's been a good day for my belly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OFFICIAL NOTICE to charge camera batteries for a Tday throwdown.
    Let's see some Tday goodness and stretched bellies.
    My plan is a grilled turkey (butchered) marinated in the usual suspects: olive oil, pepper, citrus rinds, a ton of fresh rosemary, salt. Cooked low and slow on the weber charcoal grill.
    No clue yet what sides I'm making, talk to me. A pecan pie was requested "or else" .
    BONUS points for pics. of turkeys carved on vintage tday platters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are doing a non traditional Tday this year.

Curried Butthernut Squash Soup, paired wirh a spicy New Zealand Gewurztraminer

Rib Roast, Mushroom Risotto, grilled marinated asparagus, brocolli casserole paired with a 1997 Amarone

Fresh Fruit plate paired with a Vidal Ice Wine
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what’re everyone’s thoughts on keeping Thanksgiving dinner “traditional” versus pushing the envelope a bit? Znfdl knows good food and grapes, and is incorporating that thusly into his meal.

Me, I come from a family where if there are less than 20 people at the table on Turkey Day, that’s an off year. 4 generations. Things change a little more slowly. We tend not to mess with the dishes themselves, but rather the quality and preparation. Our meals for the past 30+ years have gone as follows:

Fruit salad- has morphed from canned Dole fruit cup to fresh fruit
    Anitpasti- largely the same (salami, provolone, olives, artichokes), though fresh mozz came into the equation at some point, as did roasted red peppers.
    Stuffed mushrooms- tough to improve on these babies
    Main course- 1 or 2 turkeys. My uncle started grilling one turkey about 10 years ago. There was a foray into Jack Daniels glazed salmon for a few years but that has been relegated to Xmas nowadays. Potatoes always mashed, gravy always homemade. Veg have gotten a little more foodie (hazelnuts in the green beans, etc.)
    Dessert- don’t mess with it. 4 pies: apple, punkin, lemon meringue, mince

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't mess with traditional family meals. For gosh sakes what would be joke about were it not for failed attempts and glorious renditions?????
    Stu gets a pass becuase he cooked the best salmon ever for NYE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    We are doing a non traditional Tday this year.

Curried Butthernut Squash Soup, paired wirh a spicy New Zealand Gewurztraminer

Rib Roast, Mushroom Risotto, grilled marinated asparagus, brocolli casserole paired with a 1997 Amarone

Fresh Fruit plate paired with a Vidal Ice Wine
    If that wasn't going to be such a great meal I'd call it unAmerican. As is, you get a pass.

I've always wanted to do a lamb rib roast like this:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the pass. In the past, I always did a Cajun Version of Tday, right down to the spicy oyster dressing with Gingersnap gravy and a sweet potato pecan pie.

Caleb, when you do the lamb, give me a call......
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some catching up to do... Last week we did a t-day preview/test run dinner. We are hosting a number of folks this year so we needed to get a headcount and divvy up who is bringing what. We also wanted to try out a couple of things to see if they were worthy of serving. I know my picture quality sucks here, my event pics will be better.

A local store had small turkeys on sale for $4. This is the second one through the fry pot.

Since we can't do stuffing in the fry bird, my wife did this oven stuffing from a recipe she found in the November Sunset mag. Potato bread/feta cheese/spinach. We may add some diced up artichoke hearts on the next go around with this. It is really easy to do and really good, even better as leftovers. If you don't have access to Sunset, let me know and I'll post up the recipe for you.

My other buddy made this cream potato dish.

Since we are going to have about 20 people, the menu will have two turkeys and a rotisserie leg of lamb. I'm hoping that my friend's dad brings me some dry rub from Gates in KC for the turkeys. There will be some other desserts, sides and a green salad on the menu too. Oh, and lots of beer and wine. Nothing goes together better than 350 degree oil and alcohol abuse.

Hope that everyone has a safe and enjoyable holiday.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New secret sauce recipe this weekend:

Equal parts plain yogurt and this:

With a bit of this:

Plus some sweet relish and

That Mae Ploy stuff is an unbelievable flavor explosion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mrs. RW's homemade baked oatmeal....a Winter specialty. Add brown sugar, heat in microwave for 1.5 minutes and add milk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boom goes the waistline:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by swt View Post
    New secret sauce recipe this weekend:

Equal parts plain yogurt and this:

With a bit of this:

Plus some sweet relish and

That Mae Ploy stuff is an unbelievable flavor explosion.
    WOW. I make EXACTLY the same sauce with regular frequency, only minus the sweet relish. Lemme guess, the Mae Ploy, while amazing, could in your opinion use just a little more heat? Didn't come from any sort of recipe, I just dreampt up the combo as well. I eat it on everything, including, believe it or not, tamales and taquitos. Prefer Trader Joe's Goat Milk Yogurt.

Great minds, great minds...