User Tag List

Page 26 of 354 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    i think VW has pulled it together electrically speaking. I do agree though. it's ultra rare to drive past a 90's VW with all of the head/tail lights working properly. so much so it became a stigma of the VW brand, and i think they've put some real effort into getting better in that department. the newer generation cars seem much better.
    I had a 2000 Golf and got so proficient at changing the head and tail lights that I'd change them on my friends' Jettas in exchange for beer. The Golf had some issues but less so than the Mexican made Jettas of the same vintage, and I understand they got much better from 2002 onwards. Our 2010 has been good so far, and my 97 Jetta was problem free. I think they just got a little sloppy when the Mk4's exploded in popularity around the turn of the century.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't laugh - wife has decided she wants a Toyota Matrix... It has decent room for it's diminutive size, good mileage, 'yota reliability, etc. Asethetic train-wreck, but I think I_might_be ok with it - as long as it's an '03-'05 XRS with the 2ZZ powerplant (think Lotus).
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We rented a base model one a few years back. Not a bad car. Drives nice, plenty of room for tall folks. The XRS should rev up nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 2001 VW Golf GLS Turbo that I owned for 11 years (almost to the day) had four problems (that I recall).

1) The plastic window clips broke causing the windows to fall into the doors. They replaced them w/ metal.
    2) The sunroof would pop-open on its own.
    4) The rear windows would not go up the first try.
    3) My aftermarket 8 disc CD changer (with aftermarket adapter cable) worked randomly from years 4-8 and then would drain the car battery years 8 and 9 until I figured it out, then just removed it.

I don't remember any other electrical items/issues that caused problems. The interior scuffed and wore horribly but I loved that turbo whistle.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my beloved beater pick-up died last year, and i always like to have a truckie typed thing in the driveway to haul my jet-ski, lumber, bikes, etc. My car and my wife's car are just not built for that purpose, so a 3rd car that is cheap, easy to maintain, and inexpensive to insure is usually in the family.

I just recently picked up this grand cherokee for a song. its a 2000 model year, and looks to have been ridden pretty hard, but only has 115k on the clock. the inline-6 motors they put in these things are just fantastic. it is the perfect "spare" car in our house. pretty bad on gas, but roomy, good in the snow, great for home depot trips, and bike excursions. i think i did well ...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my beloved beater pick-up died last year, and i always like to have a truckie typed thing in the driveway to haul my jet-ski, lumber, bikes, etc. My car and my wife's car are just not built for that purpose, so a 3rd car that is cheap, easy to maintain, and inexpensive to insure is usually in the family.

I just recently picked up this grand cherokee for a song. its a 2000 model year, and looks to have been ridden pretty hard, but only has 115k on the clock. the inline-6 motors they put in these things are just fantastic. it is the perfect "spare" car in our house. pretty bad on gas, but roomy, good in the snow, great for home depot trips, and bike excursions. i think i did well ...

That 4.0 liter inline-6 is a Jeep-designed masterpiece. Great motor...one of the all-time greats, actually. The Land Rover aluminum block V-8 used for so many years, (and actually a Chevrolet design!) is a POS compared to the Jeep 4.0 liter. It won't be the motor that gives ya trouble..in my experience it'll be the little sensor gizmos that control everything that seem to check out on the older Jeeps; Throttle Position Sensor, Neutral Position Sensor, Transmission Speed Sensor, MAP Sensor, etc..... These little buggers will fark you up, and some of 'em are stupid expensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still going strong after 32 years, 20 with me. With its summer top on. Bikes use a trunk mounted rack.

It's needed only tires, fluid changes and an occasional rubber part replacement, which I have done myself.

cars 001.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
    Still going strong after 32 years,
    how many miles on the clock?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

only 90,000. Its not unusual that these engines and transmissions will go 300,000 to 400,000 before needing an overhaul. I have some miles left.

If I were to do it over again, when I was in my mid 20's, I would have bit the bullet and bought a new diesel Mercedes, the 240 D or 300 D, and maintained it. Barring being run into, I would still have it. I can do most mechanical work myself, these older Mercedes are extraordinarily well constructed for durability, and parts are available. Instead I went through a succession of BMW's , none of which approached the reliability and durability of the Mercedes tucked away in the garage. I think for a young man today who can avoid the temptation for a go fast, throw into corners, need for speed machine, an older diesel Mercedes would be an excellent and economical lifetime choice. They are available with moderate mileage and at under $10,000, and have very respectable fuel consumption.

One of these years, I'll likely buy a new diesel Mercedes , which will be my last car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dad had a 450sl for a while when I was a kid. Neat little car with solid style. I don't care for newer Mercedes at all.

It became one car too many when Mom chose the bright yellow 280Z. She sold that before I turned 16. Probably did me a favor.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Day View Post
    Still going strong after 32 years, 20 with me. With its summer top on. Bikes use a trunk mounted rack.

It's needed only tires, fluid changes and an occasional rubber part replacement, which I have done myself.

cars 001.jpg
    Mrs. Haole and I have a plan to be hatched sometime in the future to get a 560SL for our fun tooling around town car. All depends on if something else comes along to spend that chunk of money for us before we pull the trigger on the roadster. Neither of us drive the cars all that often, so we can get away with something a little impractical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    That 4.0 liter inline-6 is a Jeep-designed masterpiece. Great motor...one of the all-time greats, actually. The Land Rover aluminum block V-8 used for so many years, (and actually a Chevrolet design!) is a POS compared to the Jeep 4.0 liter. It won't be the motor that gives ya trouble..in my experience it'll be the little sensor gizmos that control everything that seem to check out on the older Jeeps; Throttle Position Sensor, Neutral Position Sensor, Transmission Speed Sensor, MAP Sensor, etc..... These little buggers will fark you up, and some of 'em are stupid expensive.
    I had a Wrangler with that 4.0 liter I-6 for many years. That engine was incredibly reliable. But you nailed it. We had a bad flood a few years ago and even though the engine was solid, those sensors and other little things started going haywire. I sold it before the thing became too much of a hassle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a Sport 4.0 ('98 I think?) that I could squeal tires in 1st/2nd/3rd gear. The turning radius was amazing and it could fit in tight spots. It was great for around town. I loved that Jeep. I also slept like a baby when I had it after driving 30 miles each way to see my G/F (now wife) with the top down - I was always wore out. It caught fire (probably purposeful) and I had to say goodbye to it.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I had a Sport 4.0 ('98 I think?) that I could squeal tires in 1st/2nd/3rd gear.
    Maybe the easiest manual around. I could get rolling in 1st - 3rd and the clutch was really forgiving. I taught a handful of people to drive stick in that jeep. Trying to teach someone in my WRX or mini cooper s was an entirely different experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I had a Sport 4.0 ('98 I think?) that I could squeal tires in 1st/2nd/3rd gear. The turning radius was amazing and it could fit in tight spots. It was great for around town. I loved that Jeep. I also slept like a baby when I had it after driving 30 miles each way to see my G/F (now wife) with the top down - I was always wore out. It caught fire (probably purposeful) and I had to say goodbye to it.
    IMHO, anyone who drafts a "Top Ten Best American Cars Ever"-style list and leaves the Cherokee off of it has constructed a flawed list. Other Jeeps? Eh..not so much..although short of a heavily worked Toyota Land Cruiser I don't think there's a better pure offroad platform in production right now then the Wranglers.

But the Cherokee really had/has it all;

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chancerider View Post
    IMHO, anyone who drafts a "Top Ten Best American Cars Ever"-style list and leaves the Cherokee off of it has constructed a flawed list.
    OK.

Jeep Cherokee
    Jeep Wrangler CJ5/7
    late 60s/C6 Corvette
    original Mustang
    Model T
    20s Packards
    50s Cadillacs
    60s Suburbans
    66 Oldsmobile Toronado
    original Ford Bronco

Yeah, I'll stand by that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    OK.

Jeep Cherokee
    Jeep Wrangler CJ5/7
    late 60s/C6 Corvette
    original Mustang
    Model T
    20s Packards
    50s Cadillacs
    60s Suburbans
    66 Oldsmobile Toronado
    original Ford Bronco

c'mon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

c'mon
    I considered that for sure. On my list though, would probably be a straight swap for the Mustang. Neither does that much for me. One or the other would be enough.

Unless of course I didn't need to have the Cherokee.

Oh, would also need to find room for a early 60s Lincoln Continental. Probably boot the Bronco for that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I considered that for sure. On my list though, would probably be a straight swap for the Mustang. Neither does that much for me. One or the other would be enough.

Unless of course I didn't need to have the Cherokee.

Oh, would also need to find room for a early 60s Lincoln Continental. Probably boot the Bronco for that.
    The Mustang should stay. I'd get rid of the Bronco. The Camaro belongs on a Top-10 Muscle Cars list, but not on a overall Top-10.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty good, but I would replace the toronado with the GTO and
    the Packard with a Duesenburg. Nothing out did the Duesenburg J cars, though a Packard Darrin was the closest comparison in the battle for the greatest luxury cars of all time, though not the most comfortable.

I would say regarding the mustang that 67 and 68 were the best years, and the vette coule be replaced by an AC Cobra, Cheroekee and Wrangler? Pick one, but not both and for all around simplicity a slant 6 Dart cannot be beat.

OK.

Jeep Cherokee
    Jeep Wrangler CJ5/7
    late 60s/C6 Corvette
    original Mustang
    Model T
    20s Packards
    50s Cadillacs
    60s Suburbans
    66 Oldsmobile Toronado
    original Ford Bronco

[email protected]

Fundamentally the marksmen aims at himself.
    -Zen in the Art of Archery