User Tag List

Page 25 of 146 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On waffles... my mom uses the waring pro and belts out belgian waffles like only a true Scot can.

My dad gets ignorant on her waffles. I do too. Simple, easy to use, and around $80.

http://www.cookware.com/asp/show_det...fid=GANk232270

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is more for breakfast than dinner - i wrote it down for a friend and i thought i'd share it here as well

Dave’s Amazing Hot Cereal Recipe

1/3 cup of Bob’s Red Mill high fiber oat bran hot cereal*
    1 tablespoon of Bob’s Red Mill whole ground flaxseed meal*
    1 cup of Rice Dream original (not vanilla) enriched rice drink*

step 1: combine 3 ingredients in bowl large enough to accommodate expansion during cooking
    step 2: microwave on high for 1 minute 30 seconds**
    step 3: stir for approximately one minute while hot cereal thickens
    step 4: wonder why anybody eats rolled oats or endures the time and mess with steel cut oats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shrimp and pea risotto with mint, basil, and lemon.
    Figured if this damn snow is gonna keep me off the bike, I might as well spend my time doing something productive.

We need to get some Super Bowl food talk going- who's doing what?
    We're keeping it small this year. 6 or 8 guests works best in our house as far as really paying attention to the game (and I'm hoping for a close one.) Going low key so I haven't really thought about much past homemade (but stereotypical) bread, chili, and guac. I'll drop a quick secret to my chili- dark chocolate and real maple syrup- just enough to change the tone.

Also got the Six Nations tourney starting Saturday so that will entail a proper English breakfast for the wife, and proper Jersey breakfast (eggs, peppers, Taylor Ham, bagel) for yours truly.

(Did I mention I need to get back on the bike? Oof...)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is going to be some sort of grilled fish. Either marlin, opah (moonfish), or mahi mahi. Depends on what I see that looks good. I just made two different fruit salsas. The first is cherimoya with sweet onion, lemon juice, a bit of cilantro, salt and 3 or 4 super hot tiny thai peppers. I kept it mildish to not overwhelm the fruit flavor too much. The second is a papaya/avocado - 3 papayas to one avocado, also with cilantro, sweet onion, salt, lemon juice, a dash of cumin and some of those thai peppers. So far, they are pretty mellow, the peppers have not infiltrated the rest of the stuff too much. They are definitely there, though, so I'm encouraged that the balance will be ok.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I LOVE THE DAYTONA 500

Why you ask...'Cause it is a sign of spring. Next will be Baseball Spring Training.

We here in New England, in Mid-Winter, are looking for signs of warmer temps, leaves on trees, flowers in the yard.

Because there is NASCAR on the tube tonight...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is why RiHans is director of Food Sports here in VSalon. Thaaaaaaas niiiiiiiiiiice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Villaware Uno waffle iron is here and it works like a charm....thanks so much for the tip!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Making hotdish here on a cold winter night.

First, get a winter sampler pack of beer. Enjoy one of each as you prep.

IMG_0207.jpg

Then, stick short grain rice and water in a pan...

IMG_0200.jpg

cover in hamburger...

IMG_0201.jpg

add bacon and onions...

IMG_0203.jpg

add tomatoes and a leftover green pepper.

IMG_0205.jpg

Stick it in the oven for 45 minutes. Cover it in cheese and cook for another 10 minutes.

This is what you end up with:

IMG_0209.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What are you cooking for dinner this weekend?

Per many requests, waffle recipes from Darren's cougar....

http://www.marthastewart.com/portal/...tonomy_pgnum=1

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Secret recipe Bison burgers with goat's cheddar on fresh bread.
    Asparagus cooked in balsamic.
    Homemade french fries- baked with duck fat to get 'em nice a crispy.
    No pictured- a tallboy of Red Stripe to wash it down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had the outlaws over for Easter brunch. Mrs. RW went overboard as usual...kielbasa, fresh fruit compote, scones, scrambled eggs with goat cheese and homemade desserts, but she let me include waffles on the menu in honor of the Ronde van Vlaanderen. PS....homemade Blood Mary mix too, Darren.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RW that is some kind of a wonderful spread you put out :) Great stuff.
    Robin OK spill the beans where in this area can I get duck fat? Too cool, great looking plates.

Here is what we had last night. We had one of StevePs former assasins and wife + one of my disciples and his wife over for din din. Since Lucien is Jamacian I went scrounging for a worthy fish to toss on the BBQ grill and found a 10 lbs Red Snapper...not bad :) We also had yams and I put together a salad of pea shoots, stemmed spinach, mushrooms and some clever heirloom radishes...magenta with white splotches. Dressed the salad lightly with a classic honey mustard vinegrette substituted some of my really 'spensive basalmic for vinegar....yum.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Robin OK spill the beans where in this area can I get duck fat? Too cool, great looking plates.

Here is what we had last night. We had one of StevePs former assasins and wife + one of my disciples and his wife over for din din. Since Lucien is Jamacian I went scrounging for a worthy fish to toss on the BBQ grill and found a 10 lbs Red Snapper...not bad :) We also had yams and I put together a salad of pea shoots, stemmed spinach, mushrooms and some clever heirloom radishes...magenta with white splotches. Dressed the salad lightly with a classic honey mustard vinegrette substituted some of my really 'spensive basalmic for vinegar....yum.
    Josh, that snapper is legit- my double secret source for duck fat in the DC area is...the bottom of a roasting pan after you've cooked a duck!

We roast one every few weeks, in a pan with an elevated rack, so all the fat pools nicely at the bottom. Scoop that up and just leave it in a glass bowl in the fridge- it keeps forever, and one duck provides enough fat for many more dishes. Don't forget to boil the bones down with onion, carrot, celery and herbs to get a nice stock. We freeze it (along with chicken and beef stock) to use in risotto, etc. Been meaning to try and take some of it down further and make demi-glace but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Last night we had mini lamb burgers seasoned with cumin, coriander, and fennel. Topped with tzatziki, cuke & tomato slices, with a salad of tomato, cukes, avocado, honeydew, celery, and watermelon. No pics, cuz we ate them too fast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's all you need to know about ducks:
    http://ahungerartist.bobdelgrosso.co...n-of-duck.html

I cut off as much fat as I can and render it - the skin makes great crackling for salads. from the last duck, I had a Ball jar worth of fat and I'm still using it. for say, oven fried potatoes, 50-50 mix of olive oil and duck fat makes a huge difference. I was surprised.

Frozen ducks (work fine) run about $10-$15 around here and are great. If you want to order duck fat, hudson valley foie gras will ship you some.

Lastly, Robin: I made a stock-->demiglace and froze in ice cube trays. it's amazing. really nice and dark compared to chix stock. The way I do it is to add peppercorn/onion/carrot/celery/... to the carcass, top off with water, then pop in the oven overnight at 190*F. Will give you a) beautiful clear stock (works with chicken as well) and b) a great smelling house. then I filter through a cloth and boil it down (you can filter or just let stuff settle out).

Mmmm duck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

had a great ride today to clear my head of the work day blues
    not thrilling enough (as are all my rides) to share in the weekend ride report thread
    not epic enough (as are most of my rides) to feel as if i deserve the bike that takes me
    but good enough to share a special afternoon treat with my 14 year old daughter who loves sushi

sushi hand rolls

half sheets of toasted nori
    brown sushi rice (add rice vinegar, toasted sesame seeds, fresh chopped ginger)
    slices of avocado
    slices of daikon radish
    chopped scallions
    fresh mackerel (or any combination of fish you like)

roll your own cones to your liking
    super healthy and fun for kids
    they sure were tasty with our chrysanthemum tea

we're all sated and ready to party! TGIF!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Robin and Joe hats off for the great tips. I'm on it. mmmmmmm duck fat.

Memorial Day 2010 I was determined to break the mold!!! I found a stack of fresh talapia fillets and made tacos :), also served cuban black beans / rice.

- same day marinade fish: on a flat sheet pan season with salt/pepper a little chili powder, toasted and crushed cumin seed, dash of cayenne, squeeze of lime.

- very thin sliced red and green cabbage + rough chopped cilantro (LOTS of IT) and lightly dress with a neutral oil (cold pressed haines safflower) salt/pepper and chill.

- very ripe avacodos sliced in strips for tacos

Assemblage' - all the above + a generous squeeze of lime + a fillet fresh off the grill = heaven

*We used corn and traditional tortillas tossed direct on the grill and flipped.

Veggies on the side were split brussel sprouts camelized in a cast iron skillet over the grill. Yummm

DESSERT - Freshmade Vanilla Bean Gelato with Frangelica over the top + fresh berries, mango, kiwi than lightly mulled to mix the frangelica. *I also like to mix espresso with the frangelica but opted out this time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yesterday I filled out a survey from the MN Department of Natural Resources on why I used to hunt ducks but no longer do.

There was nothing about duck fat.

The DNR is missing it.

I might need to start hunting ducks again.

Mmm... duck fat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

...I found a stack of fresh talapia fillets and made tacos :)...
    mmm, fish tacos - the best! but why would you need a fire hydrant so close to the dining table?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too Tall...I think that Mrs. RW is reading posts on the VSalon. We had a great ride with the kids this afternoon on the bike path and she said that she had some goodies for me to grille tonight. Fish tacos, yukon potatoes, portabella mushrooms fresh fruit and some decent beer to wash it down. I can't top that sea monster that you have pictured, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dave, the fire hydrant is not connected....yet. We "liberated" it many yrs. ago when the county dumped a bunch near my house. You have no idea how heavy a cast iron Fire Hydrant is! Our std. poodle can't seem to understand why I have it either. Effin' snob dog.
    RW - Fish tacos are becoming a go to house fav. this summer. I want to learn how to handmake tacos. These store purchased jobs are just ok.