User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 25 of 112 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829303132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Can't edit on my phone. Wording above was meant to say I want to do something real and help people help the kids that'll miss meals because school is closed.
    Good on you. One of our friends here supports this organization: Find Your Community - End 68 Hours of Hunger
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have firsthand experience dealing with our daughter who contracted an unknown, life threatening virus near the end of her junior year of college. Life went very rapidly from “I have a terrible cold”, to bringing her back home, to admittance into intensive care, to intubation, to a helicopter ride, to 10 days in an infectious disease ward. This was a healthy young woman who as the doctors put it, “happened to be in the way of a rouge virus”.

All ended well, as she recovered, graduated from college and grad school and she’s doing well in her job...no health issues at all, other than the initial PTSD that came from the prolonged periods of anesthesia. The doctors told her that she would most likely never experience such an event again and that had she not been young and heathy, her outcome would have been very different.

I was in her hospital room one evening at 3am during her stay and one passing doc told me to look at her heart rate monitor, which was at 120 bpm. She told me “your daughter has essentially been running a marathon on a ventilator for 2 days...an older person wouldn’t be so lucky”. I can only imagine what has been happening to the elderly in many situations where ventilators are in short supply...tough decisions for the medical professionals.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is happening is so surreal. Our beaches are closed. Litterally. With barriers. While people are gathering, drinking and eating on the sidewalk café 100m away. In the fifth most affected and second growing country in the world.

And the world is ignoring Iran.
    Last edited by sk_tle; 03-14-2020 at 10:28 AM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is surreal, Thomas. Everything is so goddamn surreal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WFSTEKL View Post
    It is surreal, Thomas. Everything is so goddamn surreal.
    Don't use up all your superlatives yet! It's pretty much guaranteed that you'll need a bunch in a week or two.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Austria the skiing season is about to shut on Sunday. Many restaurants and bars will also shut. I think the supermarket will stay open. But many people will be without work and money. For many years there has been a system here, a bit like Meals on Wheels used to be in the UK, where volunteers would prepare food, and deliver it to the needy. I like cooking and it is easy to prepare a lot of rice, or pasta, or potato, veg
    bit of meat, sauce etc. So along with a friend, I plan to rustle up these basic meals, put in tupperware containers, and deliver to those who have decided to isolate. My friend will drive, I will run in with the food, leave it by the door, collect the previous clean container, and repeat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Don't use up all your superlatives yet! It's pretty much guaranteed that you'll need a bunch in a week or two.
    Not to worry. I have a drawer or two yet to open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slwrnu View Post
    In Austria the skiing season is about to shut on Sunday. Many restaurants and bars will also shut. I think the supermarket will stay open. But many people will be without work and money. For many years there has been a system here, a bit like Meals on Wheels used to be in the UK, where volunteers would prepare food, and deliver it to the needy. I like cooking and it is easy to prepare a lot of rice, or pasta, or potato, veg
    bit of meat, sauce etc. So along with a friend, I plan to rustle up these basic meals, put in tupperware containers, and deliver to those who have decided to isolate. My friend will drive, I will run in with the food, leave it by the door, collect the previous clean container, and repeat.
    Well done. What is the system for identifying and reporting out who needs this and scheduling? Curious for my own local reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same thrust as my previous links and posts but a broader discussion. The coefficients matter to the outcome, obviously, but unless we're awfully lucky the actual number of infections is large enough that even relatively optimistic coefficients yield a catastrophy. The time to isolate yourselves as much as possible is yesterday, not tomorrow.

This Is How America And Britain Are Maximising Coronavirus Deaths – OrientalReview.org

It will make me quite happy to be wrong.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by slwrnu View Post
    My brother lives in Austria. It sounds like the border is closing, and even cities are closing borders. All stores closed with the exception of food and fuel. You are doing a wonderful thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

good question TT. I am lucky enough to know quite a few of the young ski instructors and bar staff, just because I have been coming so long. I mainly know their parents .. So I hope the word will grow organically. Since the internet began it has quickly been abused. The virus thing and the way we can help each other in the delay phase is perfect for the internet. And/or you could set up a whatsapp group. I am semi retired but still do work stuff on my laptop in different timezones. So it is quite easy for me to prepare food in the late afternoon and then drive around. I have thought about food shortages and other essentials and we could easily take some of that around. The lady who runs the local supermarket said she will do her best to support. regards

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My nephew in London was paired up with a classmate on a maths project. The classmate's father had recently tested positive. However, he and his wife didn't think to keep the child at home or inform the school.

The school found out through the media that this child's father had tested positive, put two and two together, and told students not to come to school yesterday.

My nephew is staying at home.

What idiots.

Just a quick study in contrast: In Japan, many are now wearing masks to avoid infection. If you have been to Japan, you may have noticed that there are always a few people going about their business wearing a mask. The usual reason why people wear masks is not to prevent catching an illness but to prevent spreading an illness. There's a fundamental difference in the premise which these parents will never understand.

That said, there was a fifty-something loser in rural Japan that recently caught the bug from his elderly parents and went on a pub crawl with the express purpose of spreading the virus. The health authorities caught up with him after he left the second pub and put him in isolation.

What's wrong with these people?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you'd care to look at the confirmed case dashboard now, and full-screen the graph, lower right, you'll see that the "Other" curve looks like a rocket launch. I can't explain the flirtingly similar discontinuities in the "China" and "Other" graphs but the fundamentals don't suggest a flattening of the "Other" curve.

This is Saturday; from memory I think it was Wednesday that Italy had 13k or maybe it was 11k confirmed cases? Something like that. Yesterday it was 17k. Today it's reporting 21k.

A couple of days ago Florida had 26 confirmed cases. Today Florida is reporting 74, which means (since testing is sparse and focused on those with symptoms) that the number of undetected cases is far larger.

I haven't found an archive of past data so I'm going to start saving one screen-shot per day.

If it's feasible to configure for your personal sequestration I suggest you not delay.

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upstate. Most places are open . Reduced staff/hours and a few business closures upcoming though. Mon - Wed are typical off-days so some places sound like they are deciding then. Local restaurants are abiding by 50% capacity rules and arranging take-out. With the elderly up here, some go for the blue-plate special at the local diners daily.

I was out mucking around in the yard and started feeling a little shaky. Then I went in and had a sandwich.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife & I went for a walk with another couple, then stopped for 30 minutes in a coffee shop, followed with 10 minutes buying groceries. This still seems like reasonable behavior but less & less so.

BTW, one friend is a MD/PhD at a local world-renowned hospital. They're shutting down research labs and the labs are donating supplies so the hospital can make its own testkits. "It's easy!" But I heard there's a shortage of a necessary chemical? I got an eyeroll...
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now is as good a time as any to undertake some necessary home projects. Not going out much except to do my shopping and other things that don't involve much contact with others.

Bought a 29-year old townhouse last fall and knew there were some things that needed cleaning but didn't know how badly. Now I know. The original ceiling fan in my master bath is now clean but this is what I encountered when I climbed up the ladder. Almost as terrifying as the virus.

But these projects are undertaken alone and are badly needed, as with the case of this ceiling fan. All the hardware has been reattached using NFS grease.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Now is as good a time as any to undertake some necessary home projects. Not going out much except to do my shopping and other things that don't involve much contact with others.

Bought a 29-year old townhouse last fall and knew there were some things that needed cleaning but didn't know how badly. Now I know. The original ceiling fan in my master bath is now clean but this is what I encountered when I climbed up the ladder. Almost as terrifying as the virus.

But these projects are undertaken alone and are badly needed, as with the case of this ceiling fan. All the hardware has been reattached using NFS grease.
    Good God, that alone looks like it might give you COVID-20.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    If you'd care to look at the confirmed case dashboard now, and full-screen the graph, lower right, you'll see that the "Other" curve looks like a rocket launch. I can't explain the flirtingly similar discontinuities in the "China" and "Other" graphs but the fundamentals don't suggest a flattening of the "Other" curve.

This is Saturday; from memory I think it was Wednesday that Italy had 13k or maybe it was 11k confirmed cases? Something like that. Yesterday it was 17k. Today it's reporting 21k.

A couple of days ago Florida had 26 confirmed cases. Today Florida is reporting 74, which means (since testing is sparse and focused on those with symptoms) that the number of undetected cases is far larger.

I haven't found an archive of past data so I'm going to start saving one screen-shot per day.

If it's feasible to configure for your personal sequestration I suggest you not delay.

Operations Dashboard for ArcGIS
    22 coronavirus pandemic in Italy - Wikipedia

There is a wiki page set up for every country.
    But if were you, I'd make a great big pot of homemade chicken noodle soup. It won't cure coronavirus, but its a comfort food and will make you feel better. That's what I did last night.

GOV will continue to make restrictions until eventually you just go to martial law. I guess everyone nowadays is Mary Mallon.

Paul Krugman was out for a walk last night on Amsterdam Ave in NYC. He said the bars were packed. The same is true here in London.

France just closed cinemas, cafes and restaurants.

Apple closed stored globally until March 27. Hard containment is coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All restaurants, cafe, shops closed in France, only pharmacy, grocery shopping and fuel remain open.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post

martial law.
    Geezus, let's hope not. The ramifications are not inconsequential. But that discussion is for the other thread.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books