User Tag List

Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324

Thread: The world is officially upside down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The world is officially upside down.

As a PhD candidate in Science Education (who also teaches math)...spopepro has it right on this one. To expand the "why" answer a little bit, students with parents who have successfully navigated post-secondary education know how to advocate for a more advanced placement. The higher level math classes are thought to look better to admissions officers and "being ahead" is something that aggressive parenting can accomplish. Parents who never attended college, who don't know what is involved with getting into more prestigious universities...they don't push as hard for the higher level math. Therefore the grade level math becomes disproportionately students of color with under-educated parents.
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by spopepro View Post
    I'll do my best. One of the things that's hard about knowing facts of education is that the gold standard, double-blind, clinical, replicable studies can't really be done with real kids and real classrooms. So often the best we can do is conduct loads of observational studies, and later gather them all up in a metaanalysis and identify consistent trends. Therefore we as practitioners largely depend on our professional orginizations (like the National Council of Teachers of Mathematics) to provide us with advisory and position papers based on quality metaanalysis of loads of observational studies. Why am I saying this? Because there isn't any solid proof of what I'm about to say. It's our best understanding, and our understanding is always being advanced and amended.

Mathematics, when done correctly, is a challenging topic because it's about making meaning out of abstract ideas. When I was in my PhD program we would say "all of mathematics is either impossible or trivial" and that's true at all levels. There is little "ramp" as you build knowledge like in other areas. Math doesn't make any sense, you don't know what to do, you don't know how to get started, and then all of a sudden it clicks and you don't know how anyone couldn't understand. Note: this is about math, not arithmetic or computation. Computation is easy and fastest to teach by rote practice, but is largely unimportant because of calculators and computer solvers. Yes, know how to do it, and why it works, but the important parts are defining the problem, using the correct informations, setting up the problem, knowing your answer is accurate, and justifying your method to someone else. Second note: this is really what the common core standards in math attempt to do.

So... since this is about making meaning and problem solving the best way to do so is through exploring problems, writing and taking about the problems, and then applying ideas to a variety of situations. The most effective problems and activities have multiple methods and multiple solutions. This makes small groups of students working collaboratively (not cooperatively, there's a difference) a really effective way for students to learn. These collaborative work times are most valuable when there's a large diversity of ideas to stimulate rich discussion. This is why a wide range of abilities and experiences lifts the quality of learning for all students in a math classroom.

The studies that have been conducted generally support this. High performing students in heterogeneous classrooms perform the same to very slightly worse. The rest of the students perform better to significantly better. There's also the issue of isolating groups of students. In our district, which is 35% Hispanic or Latino, the grade level math classes were 41% Hispanic or Latino and with the new process these classes are now 60% Hispanic or Latino. It's generally not good to have official policies that help concentrate racial isolation, whether intended or not.

Now all that said (and holy crap am I rambling) this is all kind of predicated on teachers being able to correctly teach. If they are reverting to algorithmic, computational methods, then tracking and separating will probably end up being better. But industry and universities (and the general public) have said over and over again that our students need to learn to think, solve problems, collaborate, and communicate. If I'm being honest... we don't yet have the talent in our teaching ranks to consistently do this well. And as such all these "best practices" might all be for naught. What I'm trying to do is to provide training and support to improve the professional capacity of teachers, provide the right classroom structures and schedules to give all students the best learning environment collectively, and not stomp on anyone's civil rights.
    Thank you for making that understandable, and thanks for giving a peak into your world. Fascinating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vandenberg View Post
    A lot of Trump's shenanigans are straight out of the Hitler playbook.
    [snip]
    Much more on point would be Silvio Berlusconi, billionaire media magnate turned politico.
    He made Italy great again, a great reformer of the law concerning the statue of limitations
    and conflicts of interest. Rabbi to the Clinton Foundation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    Much more on point would be Silvio Berlusconi, billionaire media magnate turned politico.
    He made Italy great again, a great reformer of the law concerning the statue of limitations
    and conflicts of interest. Rabbi to the Clinton Foundation.
    Oh yeah.. Berlusconi. Perfect.
    slow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you imagine the magnitude, time, litigation etc. Which will ensue were there a popular vote count?. Also, the framers never intended for this to be a pure democracy.
    Understanding the consequences of either method is complex. There are many good reads on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read that six electors claim that they won't vote for Trump. We may end up living in interesting times...more interesting than we bargained for!
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Can you imagine the magnitude, time, litigation etc. Which will ensue were there a popular vote count?. Also, the framers never intended for this to be a pure democracy.
    Understanding the consequences of either method is complex. There are many good reads on it.
    I'm not convinced the framers intended for two political parties, completely bought and sold, and so beholden to special interests to completely control the process either.

Modern times are so different from 1787 that it's almost incomprehensible.

Food for though and nothing more.

I hope he drains the swamp and I hope he can allow some new ideas to prosper. I don't hope it backfills with new, or old, diseases. Nature abhors a vacuum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I'm not convinced the framers intended for two political parties, completely bought and sold, and so beholden to special interests to completely control the process either.
    As I see it the framers abhorred excessive concentration of power. Their concern for the abuse of power and power imbalances permeates everything I've ever read on their thinking and their works. That makes it difficult for me to think that they would be anything but outraged by Citizens United and the degree to which special interests affect our politics.

I see now that its six Democratic Electors that are trying to persuade Republican Electors to become Faithless Electors. That's a long row to hoe....sound and fury, probably signifying nothing.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. We are superior. Great thread. Excellent participation and it's served, we are served.

I'm sure there will be more quasi-political topics.

Now GTFOH and ride your bikes.