Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Concerts you are going to

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Concerts you are going to

Anyone else headed to Solid Sound? Bringing bikes? My Greylock is a good ride.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clunk View Post
    The whole show was good but I especially liked the part after the radio show ended and Thile let his hair down. We left our lawn seats to get closer to the stage for that. Delightful.
    And as if by magic, I just got the Live from Here email with the announcement for this weeks show...

"Warmups & Encores Compilation
    June 29, 2019

This weekend the show isn't live, but it is brand new! We're broadcasting a special compilation of never-before-aired performances from warmups, encores, and other moments that didn't make it into regular shows. You'll hear Radiohead covers, a ravishing Rachael Price rendition of Stevie Wonder, a nightmare before Christmas favorite, Nickel Creek originals, a Vulfpeck+Maggie Rogers encore, and so much more. Be sure to tune in on your local public radio station starting Saturday at 6 pm ET!

Plus, over the coming weeks, we'll be releasing new videos of all the performances. Keep an eye on our YouTube channel for your favorites!"
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is fun too...

Too bad I couldn't get to the NYC show...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    This is fun too...

Too bad I couldn't get to the NYC show...
    And this as well, at about 16 years old. Why did she veer away from sax and concentrate on trumpet? Shrug.

Evan Marks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

She plays in a lovely Johnny Hodges informed style on sax. A rare thing...

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Social Distortion and Flogging Molly are on tour together right now, I think I'm gonna snag a ticket for the Dallas show.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by djg21 View Post
    Anyone else headed to Solid Sound? Bringing bikes? My Greylock is a good ride.
    Yep. Nope.

This was my first time (based on all the friendly folks I talked to there, I think we might have been the only first-timers!)

Friday night was pretty wonderful.
    Courtney Barnett's opening set was killer.
    Wilco followed with their "Karaoke Evening", which I thought was just going to be a gentle invitation for us all to sing along.
    But no.
    They'd solicited audition videos from interested fans, and brought the winners out on stage for song after song. Most of them were pretty damn good.
    My favorite, though, was the last winner. "Courtney from Melbourne". She even brought a guitar:

Maybe a top ten all-time concert moment for me. The song. Nels and Courtney face to face. It was perfect.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Excellent. I bought Wilco tickets this morning.

Built to Spill in an ~800 capacity club tomorrow night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I though the karaoke night was really good. I wasn’t psyched for it and though it might be hokey, but it really was fun. The only part that wasn’t inspiring was the duo with Nels Kline’s wife doing We Aren’t the World. But they obviously were having a lot of fun and could care less. Courtney Barnett was phenomenal, and I really like her singing on Handshake Drugs. The Minus 5 and The Feelies also put in great shows. Wilco’s Saturday Evening set was just awesome. The only better Wilco show I’ve seen was at the last Solid Sound, when they performed Being There from start to finish, and then as an encore came out and played Yankee Hotel Foxtrot from start to finish. They really dug deep this past Saturday so as not to repeat the more “popular” songs that were done on Friday. I missed Sunday — I didn’t want to drive over with all the storms, but I heard that Tweedy was really good.

I think I need to get tickets for Radio City Music Hall now. Wilco really is a great band to see live.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I though the karaoke night was really good. I wasn’t psyched for it and though it might be hokey, but it really was fun.
    Completely agree.

The only part that wasn’t inspiring was the duo with Nels Kline’s wife doing We Aren’t the World. But they obviously were having a lot of fun and could care less.
    Completely agree!

Courtney Barnett was phenomenal, and I really like her singing on Handshake Drugs.
    Completely agree!!

The Minus 5 and The Feelies also put in great shows.
    Completely agree!!!

Wilco’s Saturday Evening set was just awesome. The only better Wilco show I’ve seen was at the last Solid Sound, when they performed Being There from start to finish, and then as an encore came out and played Yankee Hotel Foxtrot from start to finish. They really dug deep this past Saturday so as not to repeat the more “popular” songs that were done on Friday.
    Completely agree!!!!

Were we following each other around? Or is just that your taste is as superlative as mine?

I missed Sunday — I didn’t want to drive over with all the storms, but I heard that Tweedy was really good.
    I spent more time in the galleries than I'd planned. Lakou Mizik was really fun, playing in that amazing space in Building 5. I later ended up wandering around the Sol LeWitt building (my favorite art exhibition ever!), listening to Wand waft through the hallways. That was quite nice.

Jonathan Richman started about 45 minutes late, once the crews were able to get the field and equipment dry enough to use. I'd never seen him live - he was alternatingly charming as hell and precious as hell. So wonderful and heartwarming. And annoying and fey. I get why some people love him.

Tweedy was quite good. His music trends a lot more folky than Wilco's. The show was quite enjoyable, but I like him best nestled into Wilco!

My wife & I made a break for our car (about a mile away) as we saw dark clouds cresting the mountain to the west, about 15-20 minutes before the scheduled end. We made it into town before the brief downpour, and then let Tweedy sing us to our car and onto the road.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another comment on Wilco's Saturday show: There was a one-two combo deep in their set, started with "Bull Black Nova" and continued with a song I'd never heard. The last few minutes Glenn Kotche took the band somewhere off the map... I was transfixed.

So I tracked down the setlist and found the song was "Laminated Cat" by a band called Loose Fur. Loose Fur? Turns out that was Tweedy, Kotche and Jim O'Rourke... OK then, barely a cover!

Here's a full concert from two weeks ago. "Laminated Cat" is at 1:07. Or just play the show from the beginning:

Damn.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Another comment on Wilco's Saturday show: There was a one-two combo deep in their set, started with "Bull Black Nova" and continued with a song I'd never heard. The last few minutes Glenn Kotche took the band somewhere off the map... I was transfixed.

So I tracked down the setlist and found the song was "Laminated Cat" by a band called Loose Fur. Loose Fur? Turns out that was Tweedy, Kotche and Jim O'Rourke... OK then, barely a cover!

Here's a full concert from two weeks ago. "Laminated Cat" is at 1:07. Or just play the show from the beginning:

Damn.
    Tweedy and Wilco do Laminated Cat pretty frequently. It’s on a bunch of the RoadCase concert recordings that can be purchased on The Road Case - Live Show Downloads – Wilco Store. There is an interesting story about the song and Loose Fur at LYRIC OF THE WEEK: Loose Fur, "Laminated Cat" << American Songwriter. O’Rourke was instrumental in bringing Kotche into Wilco, mixing Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, which still is the seminal Wilco album, and perhaps in Tweedy forcing Jay Bennett from the band, which was a shame. As an aside, listen to this: DOWNLOAD - Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot Engineer Demo's - Home - The Steam Engine. It’s really interesting.

WFUV just posted the entire Courtney Barnett set. Courtney Barnett: Solid Sound 219 | WFUV

I wish it was every year and not every two. Solid Sound is always a great experience. I’m looking forward to 2021.

A

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the new album “Ode to Joy” is available today for pre-order.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And the new album “Ode to Joy” is available today for pre-order.
    Sorry, couldn't hear you - Listening to that version* of Laminated Cat at high volume.
    Holy crap it's as great as I remember it.

*so different than in Amsterdam. Guitar vs. drums.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took my daughter to see what the san jose mercury news called a "tribute band" featuring brian may on guitar an roger taylor on drums. the new singer did a pretty great job and there is nothing like hearing brian may's signature sound at full concert volume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this. Made the afternoon go by quicker.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thornetta Davis and her band with Tas Cru and his Band of Tortured Souls opening in the park last night for the free series gala event. Tas Cru said he much preferred opening for her as he's had to follow her and they were no slouches. I could see why nobody would want to come on after her. if you get a chance to see her sing with her band do not miss it.

After the last two shows in the series, Cimarron (Colombian Joropo) then Jupiter and Okwess we don't have any tix other than Johnny Lang at the Egg and Kenny Wayne Shepherd with Buddy Guy at the Palace.

The summer series is just killer. Even stuff I don't much like, such as Irish music, the artists blow me away. Other stuff I have no idea what it is and when I hear it I am just knocked out. You don't see some of these artists in commercial venues until they make a name for themselves and some you never see there but getting to be exposed to all this great stuff, we're so lucky and lucky to be able to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About a month ago I saw the Royal Affair Tour - Carl Palmer Legacy, John Lodge from The Moody Blues, Asia and Yes. The Carl Palmer Legacy was quite interesting, they had Paul Bielatowicz doing Keith Emerson's parts on a guitar and he was amazing.

Last night I saw Jon Anderson....great show.

Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pdmtong View Post
    Took my daughter to see what the san jose mercury news called a "tribute band" featuring brian may on guitar an roger taylor on drums. the new singer did a pretty great job and there is nothing like hearing brian may's signature sound at full concert volume.
    I bet that was a great show....I wish I had known about it.
    Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.