User Tag List

Page 23 of 177 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Thanks man, I really dig it. They have it in a stainless bracelet but I thought the leather would make it look cooler.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Thanks man, I really dig it. They have it in a stainless bracelet but I thought the leather would make it look cooler.

-Joe
    Great looking watch, Joe. It's hard to go wrong with a simple steel pilots watch. The watch looks pretty nice on the stainless bracelet too. If they are easy to swap, it's nice to have options...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Want to share what is now my favorite watch.

Its the Stocker & Yale 490, a military issue manual wind watch. I picked it up on Ebay for $96 on a whim. The watch is everything I ever wanted, small (36mm), pilot-styled, light, ETA 2801 movement. Absolutely love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Holy glowage batman - I spy Tritium!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone own a Miik Seafighter? Really digging those at the moment, just not sure I can still swing that much $. Would love to find something 2nd hand for much less. Maybe should go Seiko.. Have an old mid sized Tag Professional in blue but just broke the band. Got me thinking about a new watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seafighters are awesome. Best bet to find one is a daily search here:

Elite Deal Seeker

P.S. Prices on those things are only going up!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Perfecto and thanks. Just saw one that went on 11/9/12 for $650. Damn. A few on Ebay right now, but more ~$900. Gonna do some more digging.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    Want to share what is now my favorite watch.

Its the Stocker & Yale 490, a military issue manual wind watch. I picked it up on Ebay for $96 on a whim. The watch is everything I ever wanted, small (36mm), pilot-styled, light, ETA 2801 movement. Absolutely love it.
    Looks perfect - would certainly sate my desire for an unusual no-date watch. Any tips for someone who hasn't searched for these before? Can the band be replaced with a standard NATO? Looks like NOS is going for around $180.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Looks perfect - would certainly sate my desire for an unusual no-date watch. Any tips for someone who hasn't searched for these before? Can the band be replaced with a standard NATO? Looks like NOS is going for around $180.
    I am not too sure how to buy these. I bought this one for $96 and then picked another NIB for $115 off of eBay this weekend. I think that anything above $130 maybe too high.

The band is 16mm but will fit upto 18mm so yes a standard Zulu / NATO band works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grab a lume-shot to share with us will ya?

Memory is a bit rusty on those, they have a composite-plastic case correct?? Sapphire crystal?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another option here is an old Hamilton military issue. Get lucky and you might be able to find one from your birth month on the 'Bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by musgravecycles View Post
    Grab a lume-shot to share with us will ya?

Memory is a bit rusty on those, they have a composite-plastic case correct?? Sapphire crystal?
    You are correct, plastic composite, sapphire crystal movement. Tritium has a half life of 12yrs. This watch was made in '91 so there is no glow :(.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks perfect - would certainly sate my desire for an unusual no-date watch.
    Military-style, no date watch, on a NATO? Isn't that exactly the design spec for the PRS-1 Speedbird?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used the excuse of cold and miserable winters to pick up a new military riding watch which I grabbed a picture of on my ride yesterday: a CWC SBS special issue (that is the British equivalent of the Marines but 3000x as tough).

Fairly-pleased with it, not too heavy and nice and functional. With a NATO band it slips over thicker riding jackets and gloves. That said, there is a slight hint of cheapness in the finish but for around USD 500 it is a fair way price-wise from the better military watches.

8219570934_bc76039bed.jpg

I've also got a slight lust for the Yokobies Sinn style Seiko watch conversions. Does anyone have one of those? Waterproof...?
    Tom Walshe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TomW View Post
    I used the excuse of cold and miserable winters to pick up a new military riding watch which I grabbed a picture of on my ride yesterday: a CWC SBS special issue (that is the British equivalent of the Marines but 3000x as tough).

Fairly-pleased with it, not too heavy and nice and functional. With a NATO band it slips over thicker riding jackets and gloves. That said, there is a slight hint of cheapness in the finish but for around USD 500 it is a fair way price-wise from the better military watches.

8219570934_bc76039bed.jpg

I've also got a slight lust for the Yokobies Sinn style Seiko watch conversions. Does anyone have one of those? Waterproof...?
    perfect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joosttx View Post
    You are correct, plastic composite, sapphire crystal movement. Tritium has a half life of 12yrs. This watch was made in '91 so there is no glow :(.
    I'm almost certain that the crystal is mineral. I'm surprised it doesn't still glow, mine is from '93 and still lights up well at night.

490 on the right, SandY 590 (quartz) on the left.

Eat one live toad first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you all day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Casio F91W-1. My favorite distillation of modern technology. $9. For $3 more you can improve the water resistance to 50 meters with the W59-1V. I challenge you to find a more useful, durable watch at this weight, not to mention price. The choice of bankers, terrorists, poets and adventurers worldwide.

Anything more is jewelry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And if you must have a dial, then this: Bodoni M&Co Classic Stainless - Projects Watches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post
    Casio F91W-1. My favorite distillation of modern technology. $9. For $3 more you can improve the water resistance to 50 meters with the W59-1V. I challenge you to find a more useful, durable watch at this weight, not to mention price. The choice of bankers, terrorists, poets and adventurers worldwide.

This is like going into the gallery and telling someone to just get a Surly instead of their custom bike. Very few threads are about what is "good enough," or value, it's usually about nerding out about something that few of the public at large give a crap about. And, yes, watches are a waste of money, as are lots of the bikes here, the entire "things I want now" thread, the camera thread we have, and most other things we talk about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post

That's funny to me, because I pretty much agree with you. Except I see calling anything else jewelry as a dismissal and I think a truly nice watch is one of the two pieces of jewelry a man should wear. The other being a wedding band.

I don't go for necklaces, bracelets, class rings, pinkie rings, earrings, any of that, but a nice watch (whatever that means to you) is a great way to add a little style and class everyday. I also think that a well selected watch tells me a little bit about a person at a glance. If all you need to do is tell time, then your cell phone is more than sufficient, I view a watch as an opportunity for a little something more.