User Tag List

Page 219 of 355 FirstFirst ... 209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225226227228229 ... LastLast
Results 4,361 to 4,380 of 7081

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

never mind they don't one is a turbo and has the beefed up guts for a turbo.

dude 120hp "rally" car that weighs 2600 pounds does not sound fun no matter what you do to it. get the ST. maybe get a used RS?
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rattle can black “work in progress” 1962 BelAir wagon spotted at the local park concert last evening.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post

dude 120hp "rally" car that weighs 2600 pounds does not sound fun no matter what you do to it. get the ST. maybe get a used RS?
    You need a Lancia 037 death sled. 2100 lbs 325 hp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying a new car for rallycross sounds like a terrible idea. Unless you just like watching money burn.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Buying a new car for rallycross sounds like a terrible idea. Unless you just like watching money burn.
    I am pretty sure that is function of car racing.
    New race car owner: Chief how fast can this car go ?
    Crew Chief: How money you got ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah the ST has a different motor.

As far as 'only 120hp' goes, talk to anyone running a Fiesta on stage - they love them. Even R2-spec Fiestas capable of winning at the national level are running the same 1.6 block with a little work only bump power to 170hp. I get it though and am definitely looking further into the '17 ST sitting out there. I'd love to make the road trip but I've got a TON going on atm so we will see what happens.

You're right though, I should just buy a used 3-series and call it good.
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll echo Dustin's comments from waaay back in this thread: If you guys enjoy having a bit of fun with your car (you do - you're reading a thread titled "Automobiles") go to an Autocross event.

Holy cow. What an absolute blast. I'm pretty sure I learned more about my car in those 5 minutes of driving time than have in the previous year of ownership. Under steer is a real thing (Honda Civic). It makes me want to get a bigger rear sway bar, but I know I need to upgrade the driver first.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    I'll echo Dustin's comments from waaay back in this thread: If you guys enjoy having a bit of fun with your car (you do - you're reading a thread titled "Automobiles") go to an Autocross event.

Holy cow. What an absolute blast. I'm pretty sure I learned more about my car in those 5 minutes of driving time than have in the previous year of ownership. Under steer is a real thing (Honda Civic). It makes me want to get a bigger rear sway bar, but I know I need to upgrade the driver first.
    As a former Civic owner...GET THE SWAY BAR. My Si had:

Eibach ProKit springs (I think it was the ProKit...the ones with least amount of drop, focused on performance not looks)
    Front and rear camber kit* installed along with the springs
    Eibach rear sway bar (installed in the stiffest way) installed about a year after the springs/camber kits

*The rear has an aggressive camber curve, so lowering it a bit angled the wheels in considerably, so new lower control arms were required (if you want it to handle well with reasonable tire wear for a daily driver). The front didn't have adjustable camber from the factory.

I didn't set the alignment up aggressively at all...it was a daily driver with 1 autoX every month, or every other month. I think I had like -1.5degrees up front and -0.5 out back. Forums are a good resource for set up...just make sure you're taking advice from trustworthy people haha.

The springs and camber kit were great, turn in was immediately improved, and it was flatter in the corners with less brake dive under hard braking.

But the sway bar really made it come alive. It would still understeer, I mean it's still front wheel drive, but, you could also easily get the rear end to step out going into a corner with a bit of quick counter steering. And going through a slalom the rear end will get out of hand if you're not smooth.

If I could do it again, I'd get the front camber kit + the rear sway bar, and try that set up before changing the springs. I think that would get me 95% of the improvements without the ride quality compromises (which weren't bad at all, especially as a 24yr old haha, but it was stiffer than stock of course) and without all the PITA that comes with driving a somewhat low car.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

autocross and rallycross are entirely different things. You can't definitely do rallycross on a budget.

If you really want to have fun, do kartcross. Best bang for the buck. A 600cc motorcycle engine, a steel cage, 4 wheels. That's it.

Last edited by sk_tle; 07-08-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    autocross and rallycross are entirely different things. You can't definitely do rallycross on a budget.

If you really want to have fun, do kartcross. Best bang for the buck. A 600cc motorcycle engine, a steel cage, 4 wheels. That's it.
    Plus a somewhere to store the kart, a trailer to haul it on, somewhere to store the trailer, and something to pull the trailer.

The beauty of AutoX is how casual it is - you can literally take your grocery getter racing without doing anything to it other than using some painters tape to put some numbers on the sides. Oh, and you need a helmet. And yeah, there are people who get really into AutoX (like my buddy Phil) who put a lot of time and money into it...but you don't have to go balls deep in it, and that's what makes it so great.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm having so much fun with my new car it should be illegal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I'm having so much fun with my new car it should be illegal.
    Well, if you're driving it fast, it is illegal!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that description sounds like a honda fit, which i hear with a manual back in the day was actually kind of fun. all i know is that when i test drove one, it struggled up hill and was incredibly loud. i think the jerk is right on this one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Well, if you're driving it fast, it is illegal!
    fair point :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    As a former Civic owner...GET THE SWAY BAR.

If I could do it again, I'd get the front camber kit + the rear sway bar, and try that set up before changing the springs. I think that would get me 95% of the improvements without the ride quality compromises (which weren't bad at all, especially as a 24yr old haha, but it was stiffer than stock of course) and without all the PITA that comes with driving a somewhat low car.

With about three weeks to make up my mind and pull the trigger, I'm just about sold on a Civic Sport Hatch rather than the SI sedan (don't say "Type R" -- it looks absurd and I'm not spending that kind of money). I was looking at a cat back exhaust and then the Eibach kit -- but your comments about the stupid low springs on a daily make me think "yeah, just swap out the sway bars and call it a day."

One bummer -- I'm six one and I can't fit in a Civic with a helmet unless I scrunch down in the seat...so probably just some middle-aged hooning and no AutoX....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    (don't say "Type R" -- it looks absurd and I'm not spending that kind of money).
    Agree 100%. I miss the days when the Type R versions looked nearly identical to the base models without all the BS. Even all the fake vents on the Si bug the hell out of me.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m convinced Honda would sell more Type Rs if the styling were less ridiculous. Sell it plain and offer up the Speed Racer styling parts as accessories for those who want that.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I’m convinced Honda would sell more Type Rs if the styling were less ridiculous. Sell it plain and offer up the Speed Racer styling parts as accessories for those who want that.
    They would because that car kicks ass, but I can't get across town in it without getting rev'd at by every kid at every stoplight. Shame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    With about three weeks to make up my mind and pull the trigger, I'm just about sold on a Civic Sport Hatch rather than the SI sedan (don't say "Type R" -- it looks absurd and I'm not spending that kind of money). I was looking at a cat back exhaust and then the Eibach kit -- but your comments about the stupid low springs on a daily make me think "yeah, just swap out the sway bars and call it a day."

One bummer -- I'm six one and I can't fit in a Civic with a helmet unless I scrunch down in the seat...so probably just some middle-aged hooning and no AutoX....
    That's what I've got. Love it. With the rear seats down, I can fit backpack, rollers, and a 54cm bike with both wheels on with plenty of room to spare. I've even managed to fit two bikes inside without too much trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    One reason why I got the Golf R last spring=quite stealthy.