User Tag List

Page 215 of 353 FirstFirst ... 205206207208209210211212213214215216217218219220221222223224225 ... LastLast
Results 4,281 to 4,300 of 7056

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

In my parsimonious world, I'm down -- just about -- to either a Jetta GLI or a Hyundai Elantra GT N Line. My two local garage owners both advise the Hyundai -- their line is that VWs are great cars to lease, but not so much to own, because expensive crap stuff starts breaking around 50-60k, whereas they claim that Hyundais, though once cheap and brittle, are now solid long-term buys.

What say you yabbos?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    In my parsimonious world, I'm down -- just about -- to either a Jetta GLI or a Hyundai Elantra GT N Line. My two local garage owners both advise the Hyundai -- their line is that VWs are great cars to lease, but not so much to own, because expensive crap stuff starts breaking around 50-60k, whereas they claim that Hyundais, though once cheap and brittle, are now solid long-term buys.

What say you yabbos?
    Has the civic SI been considered? i'm a euro car fan, but for drop dead reliability across long term ownership, honda is my go-to advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What say you yabbos?
    This may be true. Does Hyundai still offer their 10-year/100,000 mile warranty? My mother has a Hyundai and a couple of significant things were dealt with under the warranty but fundamentally it's been a rock solid car.

My VWs have been pretty good but I've heard all the horror stories too.

Frankly, if I wanted something reasonable in a fun package from a brand known for reliability and durability you could do a lot worse than an Accord Sport with the 2.0 and a manual transmission.

I enjoy my VWs but they're probably more expensive to own over a long run than a comparable Honda or Hyundai. Toyota may be king but they're so lacking in fun factor that for anyone looking for more than an appliance they may be off the short list.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Toyota may be king but they're so lacking in fun factor that for anyone looking for more than an appliance they may be off the short list.
    the new 2019 Toyota 86 looks like a contender in the market, no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have looked at the Civic SI coupe. Tempting, but my wife hates the Hong Kong Street Racer-esque rear wing. Also might be difficult getting a size 58 bike in and out of the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What say you yabbos?
    Correct answer is Mazda 6
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Correct answer is Mazda 6
    Maybe. more likely, Golf GTI or the Hyundai Elantra GT N Line -- I dig the hatch. I don't dig on trunks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    the new 2019 Toyota 86 looks like a contender in the market, no?

I think this is a joint venture with Subara and the new Supra is heavily a BMW.

But actually, the new Corolla hatchback might be decent. But I haven't seen one up close to see on practicality.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe. more likely, Golf GTI or the Hyundai Elantra GT N Line -- I dig the hatch. I don't dig on trunks.
    The new Mazda 3 will be available with a hatchback and a manual transmission. Golf-sized car I think.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I think this is a joint venture with Subara and the new Supra is heavily a BMW.

oh. i was unaware of that; but i havent been following the market at all lately. knock on wood, i am likely a decade away from buying another vehicle, thankfully.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What say you yabbos?
    Only good things to say about my lady friend's 2011 Hyundai Elantra, in general. It's been a useful, reliable, cheap-to-run car. Definitely solid so far at 80K miles. Just had a rear wheel bearing replaced, had a problem with the shifter interlock, that's all I can think of. In general terms it's a little loud and road-noisy, I can never get the HVAC just where I want it, and the shape means the windshield and rear windshield soak up tons of solar gain, but in terms of engineering and dependability it's exactly what was promised.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What say you yabbos?
    I just bought a 2019 VW Golf Alltrack with a manual; still has some get up (not like my old WRX, but still) and has a massive amount of space in the back. If you are looking at manuals, you definitely need to try the Hyundai to make sure it is any good. Last time I tried one of their sportier cars, the clutch pedal had all the subtlety of a brick/a light switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After 50 rural and highway miles in my wife's base Civic sedan just now, I can definitely see the SI coupe, wing be damned. Hondas just corner well, period.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new Supra is pretty lame IMO. It really is a Z4 with a Toyota body. Has a BMW engine and everything. Essentially the same power and weight as the previous model from 20 years ago. It has fake vents, 'left that way so tuners could make them real vents'. Automatic transmission only. Doesn't make as much HP as the Z4 w/the same engine. Starts at $50k.

I generally like Honda (we have two of them now, I used to drive an '08 Si) but the new Si I wouldn't want. Fast and Furious styling. Fake vents galore. 1.5L turbo engine. No VTEC. The chassis is great I'm sure.

Last edited by dgaddis; 06-03-2019 at 04:22 PM.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got that right DD.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Silly boys. Minivans are tops. Loads of reserve power, nearly 30 sea level mpg, and couple of 10' longboards and a bicycle can fit inside with all the gear and sleeping room necessary for a few (or more) stealth boondocking nights at my fave.

29858456026_e8b0c5e1ce_o(1).jpg

A couple of V-Salonistis might ID the yellow stick as an Anderson Traditionalist, 9-6 in this case, and very sweet; it makes me surf better than I am.

16629407652_b081d87b65_o.jpg

The 10-0 Hap Jacobs isn't too shabby either.

No fake scoops on anything but the fins are real, and the ones in the water are, too. But if they'd move the front passenger seat a couple of inches towards the center it'd be perfect.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What say you yabbos?
    If Hyundai is the recommendation, the Kia Stinger. It's a Hatchback designed by some of the former BMW M team!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: SIs, I've a 2018 SI 4door.
    Rear seats fold down, and all my bikes will fit in there (individually, of course) (55cm road bikes, 29er SSes, 27+ SSes, 26x4 fatbikes, bmx racing cruisers).
    If things multiply, that's what the Thule on the roof is for.

And, @ 23k miles, it's averaged 35.5 mpg since day one, via absolutely trouble-free smile-inducing party-times.
    Highly recommended if the looks don't bug you. Mines a dark metallic grey, rarely gets washed, and pretty much disappears from your gaze.
    It's a smoking deal if that's the kind of thing you're looking for.

Now, about that Carrera convertible that may or may not be incoming...
    ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    The new Supra is pretty lame IMO.
    They screwed this up so badly.

The last Supra was a turbocharged Lexus SC300.

Lexus now makes a car - the RCF - for about 60 grand which has probably the best engine fitted in a car that costs less than 100K. N/A DOHC V8 with about 470 hp.

There's your Supra! Way, way too much focus on making sure the Supra had an inline 6, IMHO.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Couple nice shots of Paul Price's (of Paul Component fame) dune buggy with a custom 1UpUSA rack. So cool!

Photo credit: John Watson of the Radavist. From reportage on The Sierra Buttes Lost & Found 2019:
    The Sierra Buttes Lost & Found 219: Straight From the Mid-Pack – Erin C. Lamb | The Radavist | A group of individuals who share a love of cycling and the outdoors.

LostFound19-142.jpg

LostFound19-38.jpg

LostFound19-41.jpg