Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Bike 0001

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bike 0001

Cut and beveled out the bridge tonight...
    (It is not in its final position, the left moved up the hill a shade more after some added filing.)
    It centered up nicely. I took my time as suggested. The material did file down super-quick!
    “So this is how the world works, all energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet." - HST

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Man I need to get my torches soon. You're way too far ahead of me. Awesome work but. It's neat to see and hear you analyze what your doing and where you think it could be better. Helps me with when I approach those moments.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    Man I need to get my torches soon. You're way too far ahead of me. Awesome work but. It's neat to see and hear you analyze what your doing and where you think it could be better. Helps me with when I approach those moments.
    Thanks old buddy...I never dreamed I would be able to help anybody. But ,it seems I've also inspired a few along the way.
    My next frame will be better, without a doubt. Maybe not 'better' in quality, but less man hours for sure. ;)

I hope you get your torches soon.
    Luke
    “So this is how the world works, all energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet." - HST

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Got it sorted out...now posting URL's via Flikr. (in the past was attaching directly after resizing)
    Now much larger pics and easier to do.
    Thanks for the reply RS!
    Luke
    Yes - I never got the attaching pics method atmo. It taxes the system here and it also is less friendly wrt composing posts and laying them out so that a storyline has a nice visual to go with the text. I think all users should have their own pics hosted online and simply link to them with image tags when needed. PS Nice work here bro'. I have a bucketful of distractions and have not been able to follow as much as I would like to.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a new builder, I was thinking how this thread has come to be about more than just one bike. Luke has been good enough to share this process in a very transparent way, with both successes and setbacks. This has led others to ask questions, with the experienced guys then providing insight and guidance. All of this has helped me in thinking about my building process and how I do things. I’ve found myself referring back to items in this thread several times. I’m guessing that it has been helpful to others as well, which is what is great about this place.

That said…

Luke – Keep the posts and pictures coming.

The New Guys – Keep asking questions.

The Experienced Guys – I know that I’ll look forward to your continued guidance and inspiration.

Thanks.
    Dyon Taylor
    Lantern CycleWorks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question: Sorry if you answered this already (I've read the whole thread and I didnt see it) but what made you decide on the UOS rather than just the OS tubing? Judging by your cad drawing, our frames will be about the same size (I'm not sure what your weight is but mine is 150) and I am trying to decide whether UOS or OS will give a better ride. I like sprinting and climbing if that makes a difference and the big tubes sure do look cool.

Thanks again for your time.
    Nick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by e-RICHIE View Post
    PS Nice work here bro'. I have a bucketful of distractions and have not been able to follow as much as I would like to.
    Thanks for the compliment. That means a lot. You have no idea. You've been very instrumental in my progress...I'll shut up now. LOL
    -Luke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dyon Taylor View Post
    As a new builder, I was thinking how this thread has come to be about more than just one bike. Luke has been good enough to share this process in a very transparent way, with both successes and setbacks. This has led others to ask questions, with the experienced guys then providing insight and guidance. All of this has helped me in thinking about my building process and how I do things. I’ve found myself referring back to items in this thread several times. I’m guessing that it has been helpful to others as well, which is what is great about this place.

That said…

Luke – Keep the posts and pictures coming.

The New Guys – Keep asking questions.

The Experienced Guys – I know that I’ll look forward to your continued guidance and inspiration.

Thanks.
    Thanks Dyon...I don't mind sharing my progress in any direction. I've learned...and I hope others have as well. (Not from me, but from the replies of the masters)
    I'll keep taking pics....down to the last detail.

Then you will hear an audible CLICK of my right shoe, and I'll go ride this monster.

;) Thanks again for noticing a newbie.
    Luke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greensabbath View Post
    Question: Sorry if you answered this already (I've read the whole thread and I didnt see it) but what made you decide on the UOS rather than just the OS tubing? Judging by your cad drawing, our frames will be about the same size (I'm not sure what your weight is but mine is 150) and I am trying to decide whether UOS or OS will give a better ride. I like sprinting and climbing if that makes a difference and the big tubes sure do look cool.

Thanks again for your time.
    Nick
    Nick, I'm 5"-8' and 163 pounds or so. I wanted a stiff, yet compact bike. I like modern carbon bikes with the 'fattness' of their tubes as contrasted to the old-school thinner TT/DT's...
    I dig the look of the UOS, eventhough it may be overkill. I'm a climber too. (In the drops and out of the saddle.)
    Coming from the motorcycle world...larger it just COOLER to me. Its like a Chevelle or old GTO...its muscle. (It may not handle like a new sportscar, but it looks good going to the line.)
    Thanks for the inquiry,
    Luke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Coming from the motorcycle world...larger it just COOLER to me.
    Biggest tube is best tube! ;-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a day off work, so we planned a century ride yesterday. 5,200 ft of climb.
    May get some file time in today, but I'm sore as hell.
    Wanted to ride while the weather was sort of nice. 34 degree is getting pretty chilly in the a.m.
    -Luke

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The thread is hungry. Feed the thread. :). Can't wait to see her built!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been very very busy. LOL Trying to get her rapped up, but not enough hours in the day.
    I plan on some shop time in the morning.
    (Pics to follow,of course.)

;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still trying to make time...work is hectic, weather is colder...hang in there. The frame will be completed.
    (Just checking in)
    -Luke

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still trying to make time...work is hectic, weather is colder...hang in there. The frame will be completed.
    (Just checking in)
    -Luke
    Dude you have your own waiting list atmo. Welcome to the niche, huh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't rush, you can't do it the first time ever again.

(doh)

I talked about it for 3 years and then did a 2-week fab, four months to get painted, 2 years to build a proper fork (and yet the stem). A year later i made another-different method and "jig" took forever. third one has front mitred up and i'm all outta gases. fourth one is in the box waiting. I'm running about a year each avg.

'Tis life, must live fwd and only glance back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take however long ya want, I'm enjoying watching.

I did my first in two weeks, but had Ron Sutphin and Keith Anderson holding my hand the entire time. Frame number two is likely to take 10 times that long as I'll be second and triple guessing everything and having doubts all along the way. It's taken me 6 months to just get the jig, tubes and lugs decided upon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The time just evaporates. I have one started frame I scrapped because I think I overheated the head tube junction. I started on frame 2, which is modifying a BMX for disc brakes, and converting american to BB30. It is an older cromo frame, and I cut off the 1" head tube, and mitered a paragon 44mm (47mm external) in place. I was able to go about 3/4" past the old welded area on the TT and DT. Its just for practice and checking fit for my son anyway. I will make changes to fit and build a new BMX from the ground up for him when done. I have over 6 months in on this hobby, and there just isn't enough time to keep at it consistently. Take your time. It'll get done when it gets done.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a frame I started at Doug Fattic's shop a few years ago that's unfinished. That it won't ever fit me is a lot of the problem. My fixed gear bike (rollers and trainer stand only) took 3 years.

As long as you make some progress every so often, enough to keep your flame going, what does it matter? Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Beautiful work Luke! Just finished frame #1 at UBI and starting to get things together to build #2. Can't wait to see your finished bike!