User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Office chair recommendations ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Office chair recommendations ?

So, I sit at a desk now, and pretty much hate it. I've stood at every job I have ever had. I feel just as wiped after sitting for 8hrs and typing as I did after standing for 8 on cement. Rather than start a new thread, I'll just ask here...

what can I do to make this life easier/ better? Amongst other things, "Cubital Tunnel Syndrome" has set in and annoys me to no end.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    So, I sit at a desk now, and pretty much hate it. I've stood at every job I have ever had. I feel just as wiped after sitting for 8hrs and typing as I did after standing for 8 on cement. Rather than start a new thread, I'll just ask here...

what can I do to make this life easier/ better? Amongst other things, "Cubital Tunnel Syndrome" has set in and annoys me to no end.
    I've been standing at my desk for over 3 years and I absolutely love it. I started w/a firm-ish foam pad and stood on it barefoot. I now just have a thin rug. I stretch and move all day and my head stays alert/clear. Is standing an option for you?
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mainemike View Post
    I've been standing at my desk for over 3 years and I absolutely love it. I started w/a firm-ish foam pad and stood on it barefoot. I now just have a thin rug. I stretch and move all day and my head stays alert/clear. Is standing an option for you?
    I was going to suggest this as well. Dustin seems like a perfect candidate for a standing desk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the limiting factors to this? All my crap is wired...keyboard, 10-key, mouse, my computer isn't one of the cute little Dells that's the size of a cereal box. It's a full on machine....and my desk is "permanently" affixed to the wall. Sometimes I'll just stand, but then I start to slouch while typing due to the desk being so low. I've thought about one of those kneeling chair things, but I'm not sure if that's a fix or a bandaid, or neither.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    What are the limiting factors to this? All my crap is wired...keyboard, 10-key, mouse, my computer isn't one of the cute little Dells that's the size of a cereal box. It's a full on machine....and my desk is "permanently" affixed to the wall. Sometimes I'll just stand, but then I start to slouch while typing due to the desk being so low. I've thought about one of those kneeling chair things, but I'm not sure if that's a fix or a bandaid, or neither.
    There are a lot of options out there. Here are a few.

Five Best Standing Desks

I have a few friends who have gone the DIY route and it works fine. Really, you're just trying to elevate your monitor, keyboard, and mouse to a level that is comfortable to use while standing. As long as you have enough slack in the cables, you should be fine even with the wired jobs, though you'll probably need to move the computer tower (I'm assuming it's a tower) onto the desk to get that slack.

Some companies will even set you up with a standing desk if you ask because it's their responsibility to provide you with a workplace that's comfortable and ergonomic. Yours may or may not be one of those companies.

I stand about a quarter of the day, sometimes more, and it's a great way to minimize how tight I get from slouching over a keyboard.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bunch of my colleagues have some form of this, which allows you to move between sitting and standing pretty easily:

VARIDESK Height-Adjustable Standing Desks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a coincidence that standing desks came up. Today my organization ordered a sit-stand station for my desk at work. Similar situation: two 24" Dell monitors, desk is bolted to the wall. As athletes, it's terrible for our bodies to be sitting for 8-10 hours a day. Being able to stand up while working is going to make a big difference for my back pains, I'm sure. That and the Steelcase Leap which should be arriving any day now.

https://www.mountmymonitor.com/Sit_S...nst-3-fs-x.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12