Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stewart #830

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Stewart #830

Attachment 49269I've loaded up another bunch of photos to Flicker. I set up the main triangle and brazed it up then did a couple of braze ons as well. I have to say that when doing the main triangle i had one of the worse days with a torch that i've had in a while. I burned flux, got poor flow around the lug edges, blackened a lot and just felt like a kid that was clueless. At least i got good flow into the depth of the miters, just wish the outsides were as good. I spent a long time filing and rough sanding to see how poor the shore lines are. So i'll get them sand blasted and have a go over/redo. in hind sight i can see a few things that should have been better. The lugs should have been a looser fit over all but with better/less edge gaps. The pins could have been better positioned. I should have wipped off the flux after sliding all together before adding more flux. I should have used a cooler flame yet preheated better. basicly I should have walked away from things after the first lug showed how far off my game i was. I really was pissed at myself but by the next day was more introspective. Today's braze ons went MUCH better. Any way have a look and please excuse the bad looking lugs, they will be nicer soon enough. Included is the shot of the BB/DT that didn't make it to Flicker. Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More photos loaded up. Perhaps Most interesting is the fork alignment. I show both surface plate and machinist tools process and a vice held with simple tools process. Also another small mistake is discribed. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy - I really enjoyed the photo set; thanks for taking the time to add all the captions. It's nice to see people share their process in such detail.
    Dyon Taylor
    Lantern CycleWorks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Andy,
    Just curious as to what flux/rod you are using? I also agree with Dyon. The captions are awesome.
    -Todd

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Todd- I use GasFlux flux and brass rod (CO4). The Silver is Harris 56%. It time I'll try others but since I don't build too often i am reluctant to drift. If I knew how to blog my approach to sharing might be different. Thanks for the feedback. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking real nice Andy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Attachment 50242After a self imposed lay off, flu, holidays, and a new furnace I am getting back into the swing. I rebrazed the main frame lug edges to fill gaps and such, did some finish filing/sanding, attached the head badge and started on the chain stays/shell joints. Here's the Bb shell in mid filing. Compare this to the shot from a few weeks ago... Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More shots on Flicker. Chainstays are brazed and sanded. I've started the seat stays set up. Andy.

Stewart #830 - a set on Flickr
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The seat stays are attached and the ST reamed. I tried a different stay cap look then what I've done before. This proved more challenging then i was ready for and I had to touch up the stays' fillet with the ST lug then do some top cap filing to have all the surfaces and points work out. I'm relitively happy with the results but would do things a little bit differently the next time. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This weekend has been productive. The brazing on my frame #830 is all done (unless I've forgotten something). I've uploaded 15 more photos to my Flicker site Stewart #830 - a set on Flickr In the past i've attached a photo to this thread's posting but for some reason my photos won't transfer. So you'll have to go to the Flicker site for any shots.

Next will be the final filing/sanding, face and chasing, aligning, beer drinking and figuring out paint. Since I started this frame I have added to my aligning tooling. So while much of the building shots are done there still are a few nugets left. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_1586.jpgIMG_1595.jpgIMG_1613.jpgThis will be the last post for a while, unless any one asks a question. I have done the final sanding over the frame's surface, navel jellied it and did the last frame prep/alignments. I have had some difficulties with this frame. Most related to lug fit up and temp control, my filler flow and flux burn was not good at times. I had some good results too, alignment is spot on with very little after efforts, the S&S couplers went pretty well and much felt comfy. It has been a couple of years since my last frame so overall I'm ok with how this one turned out. My attempt at a different style of lug tips is mixed, not bad but after riding the bike for a while I'll have a better opinion to this scalloped style.

The most interesting element in this last batch of Flicker photos shows my new aligning tools in use, provided by Alex Meade. The method of supporting the HT with a through rod on cones and the ST at it's center is very nice. I won't go back to the BB post methods, although I'll still use the BB post for whipping.

Next update will be in the Spring when the paint is on. My painter has agreed to have me help out with the prep as the weather gets warmer. Thanks for looking, Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good Andy. Despite all your self chastising about the brazing technique, you seem to have turned out quite the well aligned frame. Can't wait to see her painted and shined up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IMG_0100.jpgIMG_0136.jpgOk- It's a few months later and the paints been squirted. I'll keep this post short and tease with a couple of short. More on my Flicker. The bike's not built yet. The shop wrenching season is taking over. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The build up is complete and I've gotten some miles on the new frame. I really like the handling, the fit is right and life is good. The dark blue contrasts well with the SS surfaces. Parts fit as planned.

Today i had a moments oops as I turned onto some fresh chip and seal. The recovery was quick and without thought. I've got to figure out the handling package and dup it for the next bike!!

Here's the Flicker set link (plan to move to another site, the Flicker changes suck) [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/73195587@N00/sets/72157631892556165/]Stewart #830 - a set on FlicIMG_0164.jpgIMG_0173.jpg/url] And a couple of shots to make you want to see more. Andy.
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12