Thread: OT: Let's talk waffles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: OT: Let's talk waffles

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Can someone tell me why the first run of waffles are never as crisp as the second of the same batch?
    heat of the iron
    "make the break"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    heat of the iron
    I've tried leaving it on longer before I start cooking, but it hasn't seemed to change anything. I'll try longer.
    Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My kids beg me to make waffles like every morning. We used to have an electric waffle iron but it had a teflon coating. I hate that stuff and I'm pretty sure it kills you. So I threw it in the trash. One year my kids got me one like this-
    http://www.amazon.com/Romes-1100-Fas.../dp/B000BWCTL0

Once seasoned, cast iron is amazing and it won't wear out or kill you. Well unless you drop the thing on your foot. Definitely separate the eggs and beat the whites. Then gently fold the beaten whites back in. Use 100% real maple syrup. That other junk is well junk and it'll kill you. Oh yea, most recipes call for a fat. Use butter. Don't use margarine, 'cuz it'll kill you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 on the Villaware

Secret ingredient for fluffiness... replace a little of the water with 7 up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    I live around the block from one. Pass it EVERY MORNING while kitted out. Le Sigh
    I didn't understand it until I found this:

or was it this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check the cooking stickie for a ton of waffle comments. I purchased the Villaware unit based on a VSalonistas recommendation...first class. Ditto the comments regarding recipes with egg whites...they make the difference between an EGGO and a waffle. I think that there are recipes posted in the stickie too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here is a waffle eaten in its natural habitat from my local waffle window in Ghent. Anybody have a good recipe for the sweet Belgian style of waffle?

waffle.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericpmoss View Post
    bking is right -- whip the egg whites separately (or with a bit of white sugar mixed in), and fold into the rest of the mixture. I think it gives a much crispier result.
    yeah, whipped egg whites is the real deal for waffles. Also yeasted recipes are what I prefer, and I have a hunch my sourdough starter will make good waffles too. I like old waffle irons with deep pockets...

amos

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back to the top as it's been a while and I've had time to work with the Villaware unit and experiment with recipes. It was 1 degree F this morning so we cranked out some waffles for the crew before we head out for a hike. I can post the recipe (makes nine waffles) if anybody is interested as it calls for corn meal and egg whites, which makes for a light and crunchy end result.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey View Post
    Watch this

and then this

All you need to know will be revealed.
    AB's methods are indeed good.

another trick to add to the thread: take some bananas, freeze them, let thaw and put them into the batter. you might need to add more "dry" to compensate for the additional "wet". per AB, the freeze/thaw breaks down the cell structure making for a smoother batter.
    Ethan Yotter
    former wrench

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    snip: I can post the recipe (makes nine waffles) if anybody is interested as it calls for corn meal and egg whites, which makes for a light and crunchy end result.
    Please do. I'm still looking for the one waffle recipe to rule them. And, I know it includes beating egg whites separately.

Thanks,

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noteddy View Post
    Please do. I'm still looking for the one waffle recipe to rule them. And, I know it includes beating egg whites separately.

Thanks,
    Here you go...from Donn Chappellet through Martha Stewart. You are correct in that the egg whites are key, as well as letting the vinegar and milk sit for a few minutes as noted. Don't worry about the notes on the page, as they are specific to my waffle iron.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here you go...from Donn Chappellet through Martha Stewart. You are correct in that the egg whites are key, as well as letting the vinegar and milk sit for a few minutes as noted. Don't worry about the notes on the page, as they are specific to my waffle iron.
    Thanks for sharing. There is a Sunday morning coming up soon.

Nick

then be happy
    then be happy now
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll share one more secret, and this is critical for pancakes too. You'll do this and people will say "these are the best (insert waffles or pancakes) i've ever had. whats the recipe?" Then claim some family secret blah blah blah.
    Take the best quality butter you can find, my long time favorite is called Danish Creamery butter--high fat content, then melt it. Stir it with each serving to keep the fat well mixed. Pour generously over pancake or waffle. It changes the taste of the butter and the waffle, i promise. And, while i love european butter on hard rolls, don't think it works here.

By the way, i understand the waffle may have originated in europe, but standing holding a waffle in your hand is no way to eat it. The holes in waffles were made to hold melted butter. Once you've tried that it will be obvious. Just because they invented it doesn't mean they got it right. Heck, the turbo charger was invented by a diesel mechanic and he stuck it in a truck. It BELONGS in a Porsche.

Try the melted butter. and use a fork and a plate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bking View Post
    I'll share one more secret, and this is critical for pancakes too. You'll do this and people will say "these are the best (insert waffles or pancakes) i've ever had. whats the recipe?" Then claim some family secret blah blah blah.
    Take the best quality butter you can find, my long time favorite is called Danish Creamery butter--high fat content, then melt it. Stir it with each serving to keep the fat well mixed. Pour generously over pancake or waffle. It changes the taste of the butter and the waffle, i promise. And, while i love european butter on hard rolls, don't think it works here.

By the way, i understand the waffle may have originated in europe, but standing holding a waffle in your hand is no way to eat it. The holes in waffles were made to hold melted butter. Once you've tried that it will be obvious. Just because they invented it doesn't mean they got it right. Heck, the turbo charger was invented by a diesel mechanic and he stuck it in a truck. It BELONGS in a Porsche.

Try the melted butter. and use a fork and a plate.
    kerrygold butter also works- 2x the butter fat. yum!
    Ethan Yotter
    former wrench

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally got to give this a try last weekend. No pics this time, but it's a keeper. I'm out of practice, but this is very close to what I'm looking for: Light and crispy on the outside, tender and airy on the inside. Able to withstand some add-ins, but good flavor with just a little butter, syrup or fruit.

Nick

then be happy
    then be happy now
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waffles are good, I agree, but the best thing EVER were my grandmother's crêpes.

Unfortunately she's long dead, and my mother didn't inherit or manage to pick up even 0.000000001% of her cooking talent (something Mom freely admits).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you in the Raleigh-Durham area: BELGIAN WAFFOLOGY | If it's a waffle, this must be Belgium

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12