Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pricing for noobs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Pricing for noobs

How good is your wife's job, do you have kids? I am guilty of charging too little and there is more stress there than you would believe. Occasionally I will still do it and I kick myself every time. From the customer perspective it is important to get what you pay for, but also to PAY for what you get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    I'm at the point where I have friends wanting second frames, their friends wanting frames, and people I don't know wanting frames.
    Have you asked any of them to pony up a deposit? You'd be surprised how few will be able to find their checkbook when it comes down to a real order. I actually have 2 folks (friends of friends) that have been saying they'll order a frame for almost 10 years. I don't mind these guys at all, but they have taught me two things. You don't put someone on the list until you have a deposit, and you don't have a customer until you have a deposit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey View Post
    Have you asked any of them to pony up a deposit? You'd be surprised how few will be able to find their checkbook when it comes down to a real order. I actually have 2 folks (friends of friends) that have been saying they'll order a frame for almost 10 years. I don't mind these guys at all, but they have taught me two things. You don't put someone on the list until you have a deposit, and you don't have a customer until you have a deposit.
    and stress and ensure that it is understood that the deposit is non refundable
    as you have spent time selling and processing the order
    and it will ensure only the commited will take your time
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There are some good comments here, plenty to think about.
    Curt, I see what you mean about aesthetics. I've done about 16 total, with half of those in various states of retirement or destructive testing aftermath. It took 7 or 8 before I started to settle on what looked good to me. Most of them have been 29ers, and it's pretty hard to beat Niner's steering geometry in this neck of the woods. So as far as design, all I've done was raise the bb a little and adjust the tt length to the rider's taste. Works good, but hardly trying out all the possibilities.
    The build cost deal is exactly what I'm doing right now, but I don't really want to venture out of a small group of people who are comfortable being my own personal Chuck Yeager. Insurance is gonna happen pretty soon, but the rest of the business thing is a ways off. I'm mainly just trying to get everything thought out ahead of time.

Craig, I don't look at it the same way. Once the money leaves my wallet it's gone to me. The return on that investment is the pleasure of building a bike. What I see hanging on the wall are bikes going to waste.

Wade, I don't have a wife and my girlfriend wants to quit her job and run off with IMBA's trail crew. I suppose that means I'm hosed. Or I can sleep on a cot in the back of my shop:) Btw, I'm a friend of Jason Quade's. I was Theresa's roommate and introduced her to Jason. Love your fixtures.

Thanks guys, this is very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EricKeller View Post
    Paint seems to be the big problem with pricing to me. If I'm spending $400+ to get a frame painted, that really puts a floor on the price of the frame. Right now, my powder coating price is a lot less than that, but it doesn't look that great with lugs. And furthermore, it seems like the people you get by selling cheap may not be the customers you want.
    You may want to consider learning to paint......its a good way to further control your final product, helps with efficiency (no shipping frames back & forth), and with making money. As you say, a good single color paint job from a pro painter costs $400 +/-. For me, a single color base coat/ clear cost finish costs me about $35 in material and about 3.5-4 hours of labor.....you can do the math....a single color powder coat costs me about $15 in material and 1-2 hours of labor.....

Dave
    Dave Anderson
    Anderson Custom Bicycles
    www.andersoncustombicycles.com
    ACB on Facebook
    ACB on flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    There are some good comments here, plenty to think about.
    Curt, I see what you mean about aesthetics. I've done about 16 total, with half of those in various states of retirement or destructive testing aftermath. It took 7 or 8 before I started to settle on what looked good to me. Most of them have been 29ers, and it's pretty hard to beat Niner's steering geometry in this neck of the woods. So as far as design, all I've done was raise the bb a little and adjust the tt length to the rider's taste. Works good, but hardly trying out all the possibilities.
    The build cost deal is exactly what I'm doing right now, but I don't really want to venture out of a small group of people who are comfortable being my own personal Chuck Yeager. Insurance is gonna happen pretty soon, but the rest of the business thing is a ways off. I'm mainly just trying to get everything thought out ahead of time.

Craig, I don't look at it the same way. Once the money leaves my wallet it's gone to me. The return on that investment is the pleasure of building a bike. What I see hanging on the wall are bikes going to waste.

Wade, I don't have a wife and my girlfriend wants to quit her job and run off with IMBA's trail crew. I suppose that means I'm hosed. Or I can sleep on a cot in the back of my shop:) Btw, I'm a friend of Jason Quade's. I was Theresa's roommate and introduced her to Jason. Love your fixtures.

Thanks guys, this is very helpful.
    Edoz,

I hope I didn't come off like a dick. All I said was meant to help not hinder. Keep it up. You sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am new as well...
    I have built 7 bikes... on my 8th right now.
    I have a price list... although no one that isn't a close friend has ordered anything aside from a "Can you weld/repair my cracked frame?"... which also means everyone has got the bro down deal. I feel like I should have kept it on the DL and ran without a website or good paint a bit longer, I didn't need to call myself a framebuilder quite yet.
    On the other hand, I have learned a ton, and still have about 10,000 times that to learn. I definitely appreciate the honesty here! I hope I'm not going to get totally slammed....

-Taylor

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

worth remembering atmo -

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    Edoz,

I hope I didn't come off like a dick. All I said was meant to help not hinder. Keep it up. You sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders. Good luck.
    Not at all. I appreciate the fact that you and others take time to help new people out. That's one of the things that's cool about the framebuilding community.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson View Post
    As you say, a good single color paint job from a pro painter costs $400 +/-. For me, a single color base coat/ clear cost finish costs me about $35 in material and about 3.5-4 hours of labor.....you can do the math....a single color powder coat costs me about $15 in material and 1-2 hours of labor.....

Dave
    35 dollars ? Maybe the pure raw material yes (that is if you buy in larger quantities and have a mixing bank.) Consider all the extraneous materials you use and all the tools you have for painting and how much that stuff costs and depreciates. Raw materials are a tiny part of that.

the four hours you spend painting is time that you could be building if you have a backlog to support it so that is just a labor charge. 250-300 including all this is a more accurate number. I paint too so I agree with you. It has many advantages but saying it costs 35 bucks is somewhat misleading.

Powder is less labor still and much less in material but you have to admit the entry price is high (application equipment and oven)
    All the best,

David Bohm
    Bohemian Bicycles

Facebook www.facebook.com/bohemianbicycles
    Framebuilding courses http://www.framebuildingschool.com
    Carbon framebuilding courses http://www.carbonframebuildingschool.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbohemian View Post
    the entry price is high
    Dave is on to something here- and not just for painting. Are you mitering tubes with a file or a mill? How much do you have tied up in tooling, and did you pay for it with money saved up from sold bikes, or are you distributing tooling costs over the cost of future builds? There are lots of little money pockets tied up along the way that play into how income gets distributed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dbohemian View Post
    35 dollars ? Maybe the pure raw material yes (that is if you buy in larger quantities and have a mixing bank.) Consider all the extraneous materials you use and all the tools you have for painting and how much that stuff costs and depreciates. Raw materials are a tiny part of that.

the four hours you spend painting is time that you could be building if you have a backlog to support it so that is just a labor charge. 250-300 including all this is a more accurate number. I paint too so I agree with you. It has many advantages but saying it costs 35 bucks is somewhat misleading.

Powder is less labor still and much less in material but you have to admit the entry price is high (application equipment and oven)
    ..…well, I didn’t say it cost $35, I said it cost me $35 in material and 3.5 to 4 hours in labor. Opportunity costs (lost time building), overhead, shop supplies, small parts & repairs, & etc. are a factor in the cost of “labor” for sure, but it doesn’t cost me anywhere near $104 an hour to paint a bike, including all of these things. However, my equipment is paid for and was fully depreciated years ago. I have low overhead. You are, of course, correct in that costs and overhead can vary and it may cost others more to paint a bike themselves than it does me. What makes sense to me may not to others, but I know what my costs are and I know that I am money ahead spending time painting my own stuff vs. building and having someone else paint, and I think its something for a new builder to consider.

Besides, I like to paint. It has a lot of rewards and those are worth considering as well.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave Anderson; 03-18-2010 at 01:34 AM. Reason: de-pissification...
    Dave Anderson
    Anderson Custom Bicycles
    www.andersoncustombicycles.com
    ACB on Facebook
    ACB on flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson View Post
    You may want to consider learning to paint......its a good way to further control your final product, helps with efficiency (no shipping frames back & forth), and with making money. Dave
    I love to paint. It isn't legal for me to paint in my current location without incredibly expensive paint booths. The way real estate is around here, every cow field within 20 miles has a house built in it and there isn't any cheap rural place for me to set up. It is in my plans, my daughter does some fairly impressive art, I think she will be pretty good at bike frames fairly quickly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    Dave is on to something here- and not just for painting. Are you mitering tubes with a file or a mill? How much do you have tied up in tooling, and did you pay for it with money saved up from sold bikes, or are you distributing tooling costs over the cost of future builds? There are lots of little money pockets tied up along the way that play into how income gets distributed.
    everything i own tied to my buisness was bought with cash. done deal. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Seems to me that cash-only is the only way to go. Then again, that's a lot of cash for most people.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EricKeller View Post
    Seems to me that cash-only is the only way to go. Then again, that's a lot of cash for most people.
    I started with a vise, a bench, a jig, files & an A/O setup. everything else you see/have seen in my shop was bought with cash from building bikes. i have the shop payed off & will have the property/house paid off in 4yrs or less. you have to earn it and you have to want it BAD. - Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

eric the one thing I will add that hasn't been brought up is that you need to sell BIKES not just frames. What kind of parts do people hang on custom bikes like a crumpton? expensive ones, that's what kind. Their is a lot of extra money to be had in that realm that can be done with zero overhead. it is also something that can rather easily double the amount of money that you are making on a sale.

since I know the kind of guy you are and have seen your bikes I would reckon $1300 for a bike like Brian has would be a good place to start. however don't add all the little details without adding all the little extra costs. I know this is something that wade will admit to doing and like he said above he isn't happy about it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    The key to any business is controlling your debts and overhead. I did/do it the same way Steve did. Some folks see my set-up and think it's rinky-dink. That's OK because I don't NEED them as customers to pay off my debt. Simple works fine, unless you're trying to sell the "wow."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12