Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need a new smartphone

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    yr swiss, right?
    Grew up here. Near Lambeau Field. Lived there for a while and am still a frequent visitor to family and friends.

But the slug idea came from high school.

I don't actually have one but I've seen them used in the 1980s.

I expect to get an iPhone because I don't really like to fool with the phone too much and just want it to work. That said, at the end of the day we're all suckers if we think we need to 'upgrade' on their schedule all the time.

Maybe I'll just try to keep my Motorola going until it simply quits. That seems to be the best option.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What cellular service provider do you prefer?
    Kevin Grady
    Chi va piano, va sano e va lontano.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
    Verizon, my siblings and I have five phones on the plan.
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gradient View Post
    I use Verizon for the past 22 months or so and it's a big improvement over my experience with AT&T but still there are gaps in voice and data. It's better, but not perfect by a long shot.

Ears and eyes wide open for thoughts on the pre-paid market, which is esploding and can save big money over my current $95/month bill.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    Verizon, my siblings and I have five phones on the plan.
    Sorry, should have asked what size display 4”, 5”?
    Kevin Grady

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Today, Nexus 4 is your best bet. Pure Android. No BS. Always up to date.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
    Today, Nexus 4 is your best bet. Pure Android. No BS. Always up to date.
    Sold out.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I use Verizon for the past 22 months or so and it's a big improvement over my experience with AT&T but still there are gaps in voice and data. It's better, but not perfect by a long shot.

Ears and eyes wide open for thoughts on the pre-paid market, which is esploding and can save big money over my current $95/month bill.
    I just upgraded phones and I explored different carriers as well as the Straight Talk phones and other prepaid phones. You have to lower your standards on the phone itself if you go down this road. Most of the phones were low rent (Kyocera, Sony, older LG and Samsung) or were just obsolete models. I also was not thrilled with the lack of after sale support. If you have a problem, you call a "Straight Talk" call center. I like being able to walk into a store if my phone craps itself.

Rumor has it that Sprint is going to be upgrading it's network significantly in the near future. Their current coverage is terrible but pricing is very good. IF the coverage improves and pricing stays somewhat stable, they would be worth a look.

AT&T is terrible to work with. Too many horror stories.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your willing to forgo the latest phone and pay full price (or buy used) for phones page plus cellular uses the verizon network for a lot less money. I have an HTC Incredible (original) and use the $30/month 1200 minute, 3000 text and 500mb of data plan (no contract). I do all of my heavy data use on wi-fi saving battery and a ton of money. Coverage is on the verizon network and seems equivalent but I am not sure how they handle 4G. As far as I know you should be able to activate any verizon phone on the page plus system. So far after almost a year I am super happy with my switch from verizon and can live without new subsidized phones. I will likely upgrade my incredible at some point but for now it works well enough, and I have no interest in a phone that doesn't fit in my pocket so the newer options seem pretty limited

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DISCLAIMERS: I did work for corporate McCaw-Cingular-AT&T, now at&t, and three years at T-Mobile corporate. I helped merge super-regionals into what are now at&t and T-mobile. I was on the team that negotiated the Google/HTC android system up on the the first Google (T-Mobile G1) phone (I still use a T-mobile MyTouch Google phone that, like you, I have now had for multiple years (a parting gift from T-Mo). I left T-Mobile because for the second time, they were talking with at&t about merging - did I say I hate at&t? Sprint's network is a mess of three separate platforms that is upgrading. at&t has been milking their customers starved for currency after paying Apple for exclusive rights to the iPhone. Verizon has been the gold standard in equipment/cell service at golden pricing. I'm no techie, just sayin. /End

That being said, the industry is splitting itself into hardware and cellular service providers, choose one of each, remember they have to be compatible. T-Mobile has already started separating the phone from the service, all will follow in the next couple years. Also, ALL national carriers (at&t, Sprint, T-Mobile and Verizon) have prepaid plans and pay-as-you-go entities that contract for their air time with the holders of cellular licenses throughout the country, mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs). Updated and Expanded: The Best US Prepaid Data Deals | Prepaid Phone News The industry is a blur.

So, it is best to prepare by 1) getting the phone you like with a 2) compatible service provider that gives you the best coverage for your useage. Tap into whatever leverage or upgrades you have for hardware without committing to a contract, i.e. relationship/upgrades with Verizon or "your provider", eBay, Amazon, or whatever, with an eye that you can walk across the virtual street and get better coverage-pricing. Here is the rub, you may be only getting 3G-4G speed, not LTE when you go with pre-paid services + heavy fees for data over overages. Buyer beware.

Me, I just picked up a new company replacement Samsung Galaxy S Blaze (4" screen) off of Craigslist for $99, with a dual core Snap Dragon processor (equivalent of a Galaxy S2 5" screen) that is still operating system upgradable. I don't want a large 5" phone so this little pocket rocket does it for me and I can take it to the street if I am not happy.

The virus potential issues are a concern, find out what your hardware provider is doing to protect your investment. Also, keep an eye on which international mobile subscriber identity (SIM card or embedded identifier) will be compatible with another desireable service provider.

If I was going to get an iPhone, I would take advantage of the new phone transition and pick up a iP5, leave the 5C and 5S to those that are always will to pay the premium. With a 5 you are going to get a new IOS that will be close to the 5C/S, anyway. It remains to be seen whether Microsoft/Nokia can save each other, watch the application development. Oh yea, make sure your must-have apps are compatible. Good luck! Let us know what you decide to do.
    Kevin Grady

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by houston View Post
    I just upgraded phones and I explored different carriers as well as the Straight Talk phones and other prepaid phones. You have to lower your standards on the phone itself if you go down this road. Most of the phones were low rent (Kyocera, Sony, older LG and Samsung) or were just obsolete models. I also was not thrilled with the lack of after sale support. If you have a problem, you call a "Straight Talk" call center. I like being able to walk into a store if my phone craps itself.
    straight talk (among other prepaid mvnos) offers iphones to use on their network. only kicker is you pay full retail for the phone, no subsidy.

also, bring your own device. use your old phone, or buy one through ebay/craigslist or whatever

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sonnybiker View Post
    straight talk (among other prepaid mvnos) offers iphones to use on their network. only kicker is you pay full retail for the phone, no subsidy.

also, bring your own device. use your old phone, or buy one through ebay/craigslist or whatever
    No subsidy but your cost over, say, 24 months (the normal contract length) will be less by buying a phone at full retail. Additionally you're not stuck with them if you don't like it. You can quit any time.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Soon as my current smart phone contract expires, I plan to get rid of the telephone altogether.

The new smaller tablets are more useful overall. Google talk (possibly other VOIP services as well, haven't looked) allow porting telephone numbers. I've been using messaging, Skype and Apple Facetime exclusively for reaching out to friends and relatives abroad for a few years now.

Smartphones just seem a redundant waste for my lifestyle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    david,
    im in providence ri looking for a pay phone
    can you search on yr smart phone and give me directions to the nearest one?
    i have only 3 canadian quarters that i stole from darren so it has to take those.
    stevep
    I found two. What you want to do is walk away from the river.
    When you meet the nice old Italian lady in the black dress, ask her where you can find Buddy.
    Buddy's got a friend named Nick. He can get you a decent exchange rate on the Canadian quarters, probably leave you with enough for a 5 minute call.
    Nick's cousin Eddie can hook you up with a driver. This guy will get you to the phone. It's a ways out of town but I'm told you'll have good privacy for the call.

The car service will be $275 btw.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been very happy with my iPhone 4S / Verizon unit. I use WIFI for data mostly and have the 2gig data plan and never use more than 1gig. It costs me about $90 a month.

I am looking forward to upgrading to iOS7 in the near future...the 4S supports this revamped OS, heard all good things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm going to jump on the HTC One sale going on at Best Buy right now ($50). I've been using my HTC Incredible (original) for 3+ years and it's nice, but compared to the newer phones, the sound, camera, and speed is soooo far behind.

If you're concerned enough about getting "pure" Android, I would think you're savvy enough to root your phone and get rid of the bloatware anyway. It's like saying you don't want that Trek because they put Bontrager tires, saddle, and bar tape on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dunno, I bought a Galaxy tablet to try out Android again after a few years of all Apple. I prefer the Apple products by a vast margin. Go iPhone on Verizon and forget about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    I'm going to jump on the HTC One sale going on at Best Buy right now ($50). I've been using my HTC Incredible (original) for 3+ years and it's nice, but compared to the newer phones, the sound, camera, and speed is soooo far behind.

If you're concerned enough about getting "pure" Android, I would think you're savvy enough to root your phone and get rid of the bloatware anyway. It's like saying you don't want that Trek because they put Bontrager tires, saddle, and bar tape on it.
    You're pretty off base about that:

Rooting Your Android - Should You Root Android?

Couple guys I know rooted theirs and aren't getting updates when I am (pure droid) if at all... Now why is that?

Pure droid makes the thing the hardware manufacturer's or os developer's responsibility; rooting means it's all on you baby.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am not a tech geek at all. i dont know anything about "operating systems", and the only "aps" i use are a weather thing and google maps when i'm lost on the bike. for my simple purposes, i think the iPhone is excellent. it has a good camera, the user interface is very simple, and its use as an actual telephone is excellent. maybe ignorance is bliss, but for my purposes, the iPhone meets all my expectations seamlessly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW anyone uses their device as a texting/check email/look up directions/rarely calls machine and uses< 500mb/month is lining the carriers' pockets... you can do all that free.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast