Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Small car for the small bike racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Small car for the small bike racer

Another vote for the Fit. For usable interior cargo space, there isn't a close contender. The magic seats and flat floors really make it so versatile. Two bikes are no problem. 3 bikes doable, maybe 4.

Here is a 6' table with chairs. Plenty of space for other stuff.

And 1,003 bottled waters.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are pics I posted a long while back. I am still a fan of the Fit. I have Michelin snow tires on 14 inch steel rims and it handles quite well in inclement weather. And hooch I like your taste in cars.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    Got to love that
    Porsche 991 Bike Hitch
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I currently own a 2014 Subaru Outback and a 2010 Honda Fit. The fit it my choice if driving solo with the bike. The fit has 95k miles on it and drives like new. Its the most practical car I've ever owned. For a replacement I am currently looking at the HR-V (basically an all-wheel-drive version of the Fit with the same fold flat seats)...
    Cycling is like church - many attend, but few understand.

Name = Steve Hammond

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had 2 smart cars, by putting bikes on the back I could take gear for 2 people for weekend escapes. Between those cars I drove about 140,000 miles in Colorado in all seasons, only got stuck once. Granted, the bikes were outside and on the back so they collected road grime. I stepped up to the seemingly ginormous VW Golf Wagon so I could roll coal, and I love it. Bikes go on the back on a Thule rack or on top (5 total), and I have been able to pack Road/Mtn/fat and BMX for big weekends for my son and me. Note that this includes 4 bikes, a 10x10 EZ-up, coolers, folding chairs, tool kits, bike kits (with full face helmets), and luggage. It all goes in with one back seat folded down and minimal stuff in the passenger seat. He and I logged over 10k miles that way over two summers. The Golf has the most cargo of anything short of their van, and I love the car. It's still easy to park and is pretty small, only a foot longer than a regular Golf. It also carries all my work crap easily, and I've put 12' ladders on the top racks with no issues.

My TDI is being replaced with AWD gas 6-speed in a few weeks. I'll miss the mileage of the diesel but am taking full advantage of their incentives and rebates. I'm not going for the All-track because that's only automatic for now, plus I'd have to buy new snow tires for the 17" wheels, and there's a few bells-and-whistles I don't care about. This car should last us for about 10 years or more. I know, I sound like a VW marketing guy, but I'm happy with the car (my wife has one too). If it's any consolation I didn't consider them until I saw an ad while watching a pirated Giro feed, which froze during the last 2k.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RanOverMyTongue View Post
    I had 2 smart cars, by putting bikes on the back I could take gear for 2 people for weekend escapes. Between those cars I drove about 140,000 miles in Colorado in all seasons, only got stuck once. Granted, the bikes were outside and on the back so they collected road grime. I stepped up to the seemingly ginormous VW Golf Wagon so I could roll coal, and I love it. Bikes go on the back on a Thule rack or on top (5 total), and I have been able to pack Road/Mtn/fat and BMX for big weekends for my son and me. Note that this includes 4 bikes, a 10x10 EZ-up, coolers, folding chairs, tool kits, bike kits (with full face helmets), and luggage. It all goes in with one back seat folded down and minimal stuff in the passenger seat. He and I logged over 10k miles that way over two summers. The Golf has the most cargo of anything short of their van, and I love the car. It's still easy to park and is pretty small, only a foot longer than a regular Golf. It also carries all my work crap easily, and I've put 12' ladders on the top racks with no issues.

My TDI is being replaced with AWD gas 6-speed in a few weeks. I'll miss the mileage of the diesel but am taking full advantage of their incentives and rebates. I'm not going for the All-track because that's only automatic for now, plus I'd have to buy new snow tires for the 17" wheels, and there's a few bells-and-whistles I don't care about. This car should last us for about 10 years or more. I know, I sound like a VW marketing guy, but I'm happy with the car (my wife has one too). If it's any consolation I didn't consider them until I saw an ad while watching a pirated Giro feed, which froze during the last 2k.
    When we were bargaining on a VW GTI (before we got a Volvo instead) the dealership was going to throw snow tires + rims into the deal. Not sure they are doing the same amount of haggling with the All-Track as that's the car they've obviously decided is going to save their bacon, but worth a try.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say either the Fit or Mazda 3. If you do a lot of highway driving I'd go with the Mazda. If you're mostly an urban driver I think the Fit wins. I have a 2009 Fit Sport and the highway stability is average. Road noise is very high. When I used to live in Boston it was ideal as my city to highway driving was skewed heavily to city. But now that I'm in Cville and my drives are a lot longer, it's not great on the long stretches. In the year model I own, it doesn't have a lot horse power so having a manual transmission helps a lot merging on to highways etc. We also have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 which has been a pleasure to drive. I can see why Mazda owners are so loyal.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    When we were bargaining on a VW GTI (before we got a Volvo instead) the dealership was going to throw snow tires + rims into the deal. Not sure they are doing the same amount of haggling with the All-Track as that's the car they've obviously decided is going to save their bacon, but worth a try.
    I think they'd probably do nearly anything to move cars, but we took the opportunity to order cars exactly as we wanted them. They'll be moving our receiver hitches and roof racks, changing tires around, and so on. The AllTracks are nice cars for sure, but when we decided to order cars all we were hearing was that they were all already spoken for and the lead time was similar to ordering. Now, of course, there are lots available. Still, ordering exactly what we wanted and taking a deep discount seemed like a rare thing, so we jumped on it. Basically we don't get the lift kit and heated seats and automatic transmission, but we get the colors and other goodies we liked. Overall, the TDI was probably the best overall car I've ever had, particularly because the price was really reasonable for the features, so the gas version will fit the bill nicely.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The new Fit is a big improvement over the old one in steering wheel and seat adjust-ability, and seating comfort. We own a 2011 and test drove a new one. Night and day, really. It probably still gets awful city mileage, but will do 42-45 on the highway.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RanOverMyTongue View Post
    I think they'd probably do nearly anything to move cars, but we took the opportunity to order cars exactly as we wanted them. They'll be moving our receiver hitches and roof racks, changing tires around, and so on. The AllTracks are nice cars for sure, but when we decided to order cars all we were hearing was that they were all already spoken for and the lead time was similar to ordering. Now, of course, there are lots available. Still, ordering exactly what we wanted and taking a deep discount seemed like a rare thing, so we jumped on it. Basically we don't get the lift kit and heated seats and automatic transmission, but we get the colors and other goodies we liked. Overall, the TDI was probably the best overall car I've ever had, particularly because the price was really reasonable for the features, so the gas version will fit the bill nicely.
    I have a 2002 VW Golf TDI for sale cheap! if you want a diesel go-cart for mowing the lawn of your estate.

I agree on the All-Track. The automatic transmission just did not sell me on the car. Too much like the reason I was suspicious of automatic transmissions. I hoped the shifts would be better, and it was a fun car to drive, but then we drove the Volvo and it was no competition.

But if they'd been able to make a TDI All-Track with manual shifting, oh boy.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    vw bus with a Porsche engine in it.
    fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    I currently own a 2014 Subaru Outback and a 2010 Honda Fit. The fit it my choice if driving solo with the bike. The fit has 95k miles on it and drives like new. Its the most practical car I've ever owned. For a replacement I am currently looking at the HR-V (basically an all-wheel-drive version of the Fit with the same fold flat seats)...
    I looked at the HRV for my wife but it doesn't have the same cargo capacity as the Fit. The higher deck, probably to accommodate the all-wheel drive, meant I couldn't put in my bikes with only the front wheel off.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Fit.

It's exactly what you want. It's a great city car - responsive and peppy, it has no trouble keeping up with traffic. If most of your driving is long-distance highway stuff it's not as great, although I did take it from Boston to Baller's one year (with the Zank, Kirk, spare wheelset, suitcase and ATMO bag) - just turn up the music.

And the storage... I tell people that it's bigger inside than out. They laugh until they see what it can hold.

Remove the seat? Screw that. One motion and it's folded flat or a different single motion will have it propped up.

Two bikes in the back, with the front wheels removed? Sure, plus all your bike crap and luggage.

Fold the front passenger seat flat and drop one rear seat and you can load your tandem.

Fold up the rear seats and slide your mountain bike in their (that IF hardtail isn't mine, but my Stumpy fits in with the dropouts in the door armrest.)

And look how much metrosexier it is than that stupid Boss Mustang...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honda Fit is a vehicle remarkably popular among cyclists judging by parking lots at big events.
    I saw someone put four smallish roadbikes inside by alternating the direction of the handlebars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not too long ago the answer to this question would have been simple and unequivocal:

Acura Integra (1985–2001) or Acura RSX (2002–2006).

One of the greatest cars EVER: Hatchback with great carrying capability, super-reliable, peppy engine, sporty looks.

Unfortunately, Acura's gone upscale and it's no longer in production. (pic isn't mine)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The VW diesel Golf wagon might be worth considering.

It looks like the EPA has approved the initial remedy for the VW diesel TDI emissions fix. From what I scanned a software update is available now and some tailpipe emissions hardware will be added in about a year. I don't know if the current fix will allow the sale of "new" 2015s that have been depreciating at dealership lots since sales were prohibited but when they do go on sale I'd expect VW will be very eager to mark'em down....way down.... and move 'me out. A TDI Golf Wagon would seem a strong candidate....though I do wonder what the post-fix fuel mileage will be.

It's a car I've been long interested in though moving from the boxy shape of the previous Jetta wagon version to the current, "fleet mileage enhancing" aero shape was unfortunate from a utilitarian perspective. Still, it's a real practical car and hopefully the TDI version will get significantly better mpg than gassers.

It doesn't fit your initial parameters but a gently used Toyota Sienna or similar is unbelievably handy. Mine is a two seater now; bikes, boards, mosquito netting, 4x8 sheets of plywood, sleeping quarters for two, etc:

Flickr

25 to 28 highway, upper teens in the city (which I do little of). Being able to sleep in it when going surfing, or bike racing for you, is a huge benefit.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo de Acero View Post
    These are pics I posted a long while back. I am still a fan of the Fit. I have Michelin snow tires on 14 inch steel rims and it handles quite well in inclement weather. And hooch I like your taste in cars.
    I have a Fit too, it is great for a cheap car. What is that panel you are bolting the front forks to? Is that a commercially available item that I can buy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    I have a Fit too, it is great for a cheap car. What is that panel you are bolting the front forks to? Is that a commercially available item that I can buy?
    Looks like the Saris Traps fork mount board. The cheaper version is a 1x6 board with couple fork mounts screwed on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is a Saris Traps fork mount for a pickup bed. It has holes in it to mount directly to the bed. They are on Ebay going for a lot of money. Having said that it is easy to add a third mount and expose it to weather without trouble (pickup truck bed). I got this one on sale for whole lot cheaper on sale years ago. MarkC is right about doing it for less with a 1x6. A 1x8 would be better yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo de Acero View Post
    It is a Saris Traps fork mount for a pickup bed. It has holes in it to mount directly to the bed. They are on Ebay going for a lot of money. Having said that it is easy to add a third mount and expose it to weather without trouble (pickup truck bed). I got this one on sale for whole lot cheaper on sale years ago. MarkC is right about doing it for less with a 1x6. A 1x8 would be better yet.
    Sorry for the dumb question, but if I were to use this in the back of my Fit, I could just lay it in there, no need to screw it down?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast