User Tag List

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: COVID 2020 - keeping sane on the home front: food, activities, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: COVID 2020 - keeping sane on the home front: food, activities, etc.

I "put it out there" to my Yoga Studio that I'd fix any bicycle they could get to my house. First clunker done and done. I mean who keeps 700c schrader tubes??? Me.

We maintained 6' of distance of course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well.......tonight I cleaned both of my road bikes, washed the wheels, oiled the spoke nipples, picked debris from my tires, ShoeGooed the slits, added sealant to my tubulars and NFS’d (smelly version) the hell out of my drivetrains and cables. Now I’m planning tomorrow evening...
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    John, I'm shocked!
    I figured you would have painted it BLUE instead of RED!
    There's hope for you yet...

I'm joking of course, looks sweet!
    Turbomatic: I still ride one!
    Brace yourself.....orange is my favorite color for a bike frame!

Thank you! It's a fun bike.

Yup, Turbomatic!

I'm thinking its time to start a new frame project. The paint job should be obvious (insert virus photo here) but I don't have the painting skill to pull it off.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This website has a link to a free coloring book download. Great for kids or for adults who need to take their mind off things.

taproot: the magazine for makers, doers & dreamers – Taproot Magazine
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Met Opera seems to have gotten their server issues straightened out. We watched Turandot last night. Horribly politically incorrect, but it’s Puccini as staged by Zeffirelli, so....

But a nice way to pause the virus stuff for a moment.

And they have an Apple TV app. Seems like the best way to manage the process is to create the sign in on your computer, then use that to sign into the ATV app.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We are making a feeble attempt at working from home but with a toddler and a wee babe around here ... nuff said. Still, we are spending beaucoups time outside which rules, including some baby trailer bike miles.

I know there are other pusher-uppers on here. If you are looking for dynamite exercise routines that are easy-to-do between other obligations, check Jeff Cavaliere's Youtube channel. He put together a whole Coronoavirus home workout plan. I haven't started it yet, but I have been doing plenty of chinups one day and his home pushup routine the next. That and playing the fiddle on my porch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't read the whole thread but I am echoing what I saw elsewhere... to amuse yourself while you are working from home refer to all the other occupants of the house as your coworkers and describe to yourself what they are doing. The best I've got right now is one coworker is running from the dining room to the front room and back only stopping to yowl at the front window while my other coworker licks her own rear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    I haven't read the whole thread but I am echoing what I saw elsewhere... to amuse yourself while you are working from home refer to all the other occupants of the house as your coworkers and describe to yourself what they are doing. The best I've got right now is one coworker is running from the dining room to the front room and back only stopping to yowl at the front window while my other coworker licks her own rear.
    I didn't know you were a fellow parent of four year old twins.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my coworkers keeps interrupting me to tell about a story she read in the news and my other coworker keeps running into my office with a toy dinosaur and wanting me to play doctor to fix its booboos.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My boss took phone calls all morning and then left for a quick breath of fresh air that seems to be lasting for a couple hours. My co-workers and I are all practicing social distancing, though there's always a few who just can't stay away from the snack room.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of my coworkers crawled under the sofa and didn't want to come out from underneath.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate this open office floor plan and I wish a couple of my coworkers would stay in their cubicles and quit shouting "NO NAP, I WAKE UP."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    I hate this open office floor plan and I wish a couple of my coworkers would stay in their cubicles and quit shouting "NO NAP, I WAKE UP."
    My boss has decided I am a throw pillow on the sofa and her snoring is making it difficult to concentrate on filling out the hostile work environment paperwork.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been working like crazy this week (from home, don't worry) and I need to decompress. I recently discovered the Polyphonic channel on YouTube and I think I'm going to binge watch 10 minute videos about awesome music.

I may also use this time to teach myself how to do something I've always wanted to do. Track stand a road bike. I can do it on a track bike all day, but just never got the hang of a non-fixed gear. Now may be the time.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's what we've been watching in between teleconferences.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That was hilarious!

It’s Day 2 of Zoom and Microsoft Team for me. That video is missing two things:
    -Some kid interrupting the meeting. “Daddy is doing work things now honey...”
    -Strange insights into your coworkers: Who paints their study purple? Eww...
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    That was hilarious!

It’s Day 2 of Zoom and Microsoft Team for me. That video is missing two things:
    -Some kid interrupting the meeting. “Daddy is doing work things now honey...”
    -Strange insights into your coworkers: Who paints their study purple? Eww...
    Here’s video conferencing:

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve enjoyed meeting my co-workers’ kids and dogs this week during Zoom meetings. Those with admin privileges have added great virtual backgrounds. I’m incredibly fortunate that my company was well-prepared; we’ve moved 2/3 of our workforce home. I’ve been impressed by the resourcefulness of my co-workers. Our software engineers have rolled out virtual machines that greatly reduced VPN bandwidth requirements. On the whole, I’m optimistic that my company will get through this in good shape.

On the family front, we’re hanging in there. I worry about my wife’s predisposition to depression. My daughter is harder to read. Her junior year in college just took a left turn into the Twilight Zone. We’re taking family dog walks, watching movies, and cooking together. My wife is working remotely and my daughter starts virtual classes on Monday. Hopefully we’ll all be busy enough to keep our spirits up!

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a new piano arriving next week. Digital pianos are marvellous these days, proper action, nice sound etc. I cannot wait to relive my early years when i started this. I can do my emails, do psychical jerks in the garden, cook some food for local elderly and infirm people (i am neither but it creeps up on all of us) and relearn music. My children are stuck at the end of university and school but thanks to whatsapp etc we can keep in touch every day. regards