Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drunk or staring at a phone? a new highway game

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Drunk or staring at a phone? a new highway game

I dick with my phone a lot, but I am really good about putting it away when the situation calls for it. Dinner with friends? Leave it in my pocket. Driving? Leave it in my pocket. Riding? It's in a jersey pocket wallet just in case I want to take a picture or order a pizza 15 minutes before I get home. It's almost always on silent or vibrate. You will rarely hear my phone.

Of course, driving a 45yr old van with a column shift manual and no power brakes or power steering demands full attention. I'd wreck that shit the first time I took a hand off and looked down.
    Eric Doswell, aka Edoz
    Summoner of Crickets
    http://edozbicycles.wordpress.com/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/edozbicycles/
    In Before the Lock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you see someone change into the left lane for no reason, pull in front of them and slam on the brakes. They are texting. It's for their own good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the great state of Nebraska they were forward thinking enough to outlaw texting, yet make it a secondary offense...So you have to be pulled over for something else. Eff me.

Enforcement didn't get using seat belts to be the norm, education did, and it will do the same for texting, but it is going to take a long long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is the generation that was introduced to it.

The next generation that always had it probably won't be as fascinated with it.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was hit about 9 months ago by a driver on her phone. Despite my best efforts, and those of dozens of witnesses, this was considered irrelevant in the case because it could not be proved that she was actually using it at the time (despite the fact that I and others saw it, with our eyes...).

In my opinion, the technology needs to log real-time usage data for all uses, including things like Facebook. These data should be immediately accessible by any officer of the law, so that there is inarguable proof of usage.

But what do I know, I'll just go back to compulsively fondling the facial scar I have from being clobbered by her SUV.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

John Cully
    I ride bikes...not enough.
    I drink wine...not enough.
    I play guitar & bass...not well enough.
    I travel...not NEARLY enough.
    www.luccavacationhome.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    It is a problem, and everyone knows it.

also -for non-cyclists, you need to prove its an issue without mentioning cycling. sorry but its true. they will point it back to cycling on the roads and trying to share one lane with two types of transport as the issue and you will end up wasting your time.
    Show the people you need to convince all of the data on accidents from driving and texting-not limited to cycling related injuries and fatalities.

In coming up with a strong case, you need unbiased information-especially since your a cyclist.

just an observation from the internet.
    M
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by edoz View Post
    Enforcement is just as guilty as the masses. Half the times I see a Tulsa cop drive by, they are on their phone.
    Up here in the HP (and I think down in Chicago too) the cops have laptops open right next to them in the cars delivering data feeds about, I suppose, where they should go next, etc. So the cops have the full monty, phones + full size computer screens in their faces while they drive around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Riding? It's in a jersey pocket wallet just in case I want to... order a pizza 15 minutes before I get home.
    Good God. You're a genius.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The issue is cars are too safe and too easy to drive. Bring back manual transmissions, manual steering and metal dashboards and people will pay attention because they have too, or they crash and get hurt/die. I don't think this will happen, so hopefully the computer driven cars come soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh look, a TEXT!
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so last night, I drove home and for the last 170 miles there was this idiot bothering me while he was texting. I was using my cruise control, and whenever I passed him he would pass back at warp speed. Then slow way down while typing. This is all about having open road in front of the car so it feels safer to text. I suppose it shouldn't surprise me that someone stupid enough to text for 3 hours while driving can't figure out how to use a cruise control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dick with my phone a lot, but I am really good about putting it away when the situation calls for it. Dinner with friends? Leave it in my pocket. Driving? Leave it in my pocket. Riding? It's in a jersey pocket wallet just in case I want to take a picture or order a pizza 15 minutes before I get home. It's almost always on silent or vibrate. You will rarely hear my phone.

Of course, driving a 45yr old van with a column shift manual and no power brakes or power steering demands full attention. I'd wreck that shit the first time I took a hand off and looked down.
    pretty much the same here
    if i'm at home and not busy with something i might get on the phone
    riding i never touch the thing
    driving, no way. it's illegal to text or talk on the phone while driving in the city of austin now...which is cool. i think it's a $500ish ticket but i'm not positive on that.
    most of the miles i drive (which aren't many now) i'm in my truck...big, old 4x4 with 36" bias ply tires that stops like an old dodge truck...the brake pedal is wide enough to fit both feet on it for a reason. there is no fkcn way i'm taking my eyes off the road in that thing and it's mostly enough of a handful to drive that i can't have a free hand while driving it...

i did see a good pic on instagram the other day, a local cop rearended a car over in the UT campus area.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12