Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water Filters

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Water Filters

Ugh. This went off into the weeds! Good thing I didn't ask about which headlight to use when checking the filter.

My primary concern,as I mentioned in the first post, is taste. Everyone in the house prefers the taste of the filtered water. I used to buy water but was sickened by the amount of plastics going into my recycling bin.

As for the "how do you know the filter is containing the toxins" diversion: the same can be said about the cesspool etc etc. Not a primary concern for me.

So what have I learned: I need to move closer to a Glacier but preferably not one next to a copper smelting plant.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    So what have I learned: I need to move closer to a Glacier but preferably not one next to a copper smelting plant.
    Perfect summary.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    Ugh.

...As for the "how do you know the filter is containing the toxins" diversion: the same can be said about the cesspool etc etc....
    I didn't and still don't mean to be the contrarian but I don't think you analogy with the cesspool is applicable. You would never intentionally route you drinking water thru the cesspool.

I work in an industry that is very much concerned about filtering out certain contaminants from both air and water. We use HEPA filters for the air and deminerlizers for the water.

However, we ALWAYS test upon any new installation and either test constantly when is use or at least measure Differential Pressure to ensure they are still within working ranges.

Your standard home filtration system gets none of this and while failure is not "Common" it is not unheard of.

Maybe my background has me more skeptical than I should be, but I would never depend on a home filtration system for protection from known contaminants.

If it is just about taste, than have at it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you have to maintain a reverse osmosis filter?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
    The logic of using a water filter has always alluded me. Since all the concerns regarding the dangers of drinking water fall into the "what if" category:

What if after 11.5 months of accumulating and concentrating all these deadly poisons your filter develops a leak? Would a surge of the concentrate not be considerably more dangerous than a tiny bit everyday?
    A few thoughts:

1) In my quarter of a century dealing with industrial water filters I've never heard of an element rupturing. It must happen from time to time but it has to be rare.
    2) The effectiveness with which filters remove particles generally increases as the filter cake builds up on the element.
    3) if the filter did rupture abruptly and you happened to get the entire slug of filtrate in your glass my guess is that you'd see it and toss it. You certainly would with the garbage I run into.

Your concern is much like the argument that some levy against seat belt usage. Yes, they occasionally (extremely rarely) cause greater injury than would otherwise have occurred but statistically they're far more likely to lessen injury. You're worried about the wrong odds. And if that worried, use two, or three in series.

And the dangers of drinking contaminated water aren't "what if", they're well proven by blue shitloads of data.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EricKeller View Post
    do you have to maintain a reverse osmosis filter?
    Yes, the cartridges have have to be replaced every now and then. (depends on how heavily you use it)

Mine (which as I said above I don't use anymore) is a Culligan - I assume their web site has plenty of info on them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mg2ride View Post
    Thank you for an informative response. While it is often much easier to just attach a random Wiki link, a simple, well reasoned response is much more effective.
    Unfortunately, your responses usually aren't.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Listen to your mother.... If you are not able to say anything/type something nice then sit down shut up and push the keyboard away. This place really goes of the rails some times... C

Get a Brita pitcher filter ....... Leave it on the counter....room temp water is fine....and yes playing the game just leaving enough water so that the next person has to fill it gets old but it is simple and works ...

Better yet get home delivery of the 5 gallon jugs and spend some time with your loved ones around the water cooler talking shit about expensive bikes and pumps

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12