Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Definitive Thanksgiving Thread - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by znfdl View Post
    Can I sneak in?
    Sure. Do you play and insturment? Some "A class" bluesmen in the house. And a BUNCH of older white Burgundies. Some will be headed for the drain. But there will be some great older Chablis!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll be recreating this blasphemy tomorrow. Turned out really moist last year. We'll also have one in the oven for the unenlightened (read: old and set in their ways) among us.

Happy Thanksgiving! by cortezcycles, on Flickr
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RIHans View Post
    Question to the V-Salon public...

Anyone here butcher the bird? I'd love to try it. Step one, and so forth, then into the oven.

The blood ain't a problem. Tell me someone here raises the turkeys, and roastes them.
    Get close to your food, you'll love it.
    Sorry I missed this one.

1: place neck between nails set 1.5" apart in old stump and pull by feet held in one hand to stretch out.
    2: make sure not to let go of said legs as your satanic relative takes axe to previously mentioned neck.
    3: don't let go of legs until flying subsides. Oh, yeah do this outside a long way from the house.
    4: pluck all feathers and then use propane torch to scortch off the under fluff.
    5: cut off legs at the "elbow" and proceed with knife to remove everything from the inside until it looks like one from the store. Rinse and repeat.
    6: cook in your desired method.

Easy peasy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm selfish. Most of the food I make day before this yr. Shhhhhhhhhhhh, it's actually better. Cranberrys made very pedestrian with agave nectar, orange peel and two cloves.
    Garlic, cracked pepper yukon gold mash spuds done. The spuds are piled into some nice ovenproof glassware than scorched under the broiler before serving.
    Bird is almost done. This yr. I was going to Spatcock than decided it was too risky since I've never used the BGE for such a large bird. Instead the bird was washed and patted dry than I rubbed in a heavy mix of : black pepper, good paprika, finely minced fresh rosemary. Stock is bubbling happily on the stove ready to make gravy. Ohhhh a pecan pie is done and tomorrow I'll make flash in the pan green beans with sesame oil and cardamon.
    I'm starved.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zetroc View Post
    I'll be recreating this blasphemy tomorrow. Turned out really moist last year. We'll also have one in the oven for the unenlightened (read: old and set in their ways) among us.

Happy Thanksgiving! by cortezcycles, on Flickr
    that is no blasphemy. it is the only way to cook.

Here's a little tip, as long as you are going to have the oil going. Take some raw shell-off 21-24 shrimp. Wrap in bacon, and skewer with a toothpick to keep it all together. Fry. Takes just a couple minutes. Eat when hot, for a special treat for the deep fry participants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    Take some raw shell-off 21-24 shrimp. Wrap in bacon, and skewer with a toothpick to keep it all together. Fry. Takes just a couple minutes. Eat when hot, for a special treat for the deep fry participants.
    Yo haole we can totally hang. Need to get a fryer - I do exactly this only on the grill and marinate then baste in an orange juice, maple syrup, and soy sauce combo (mix to taste). Cook down remaining marinade until it begins to thicken, then drizzle a bit on top. Hell yeah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You don't really need a fryer to do the shrimp, they can be done on the stovetop if you have a good high output burner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turkey is out and wanted to draw first blood with pics. I'll wrap her up and *carve tomorrow plated on family brownware with with a bit of stock for extra moisture. Carving a cool bird is so much easier.

Stick of butter shown for Manahole ;) I made a brown rue to add to the pan gravy. This is something everyone needs to try. High heat, good pan, REAL butter and keep adding flour until it looks like it's about to take no more and whisk constantly until the color is a bit lighter in than Red Wing Irish Setters! Pour slowly into a bubbling pan reduction and whisk constantly while adding stock. When the pan starts to bubble and makes plopping sounds it's done.

Oh yeah, I emptied about 3 cups of Makers Mark into the roasting pan while the bird was cooking. Guesses what the gravy tastes like? It is more complex than I thought, not sweet and is very very different than the usual bottle of cab I sacrifice. Thought it would go well with the peppery, paprika bird. We shall see.

Tommorrow I finish the cornbread stuffing and those flash in the pan green beans. Guests are bringing the remaining goodies.

FIVE hrs. on the bike tomorrow or bust.

Peace and may all have a wonderful meal with good friends, Josh
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mauna - great idea. I'll go a little further and pick up some scallops and prosciutto too.
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well played sir. I've got to get everything ready in the A.M. and road trip to Faribault and then turn around and drive up to the ranch above Lake Superior. Hence, no riding for me. I've been using the Maker's Mark to fortify my rustic gumbo for a long time. Nice to see someone else using it as well. Happy turkey day to all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My folks are coming up from Maryland to do din in NYC, so I'm trying to do the traditional fam stuff as much as possible.

- garlic/peppercorn/bay brined bird in the fridge, going in 9am tomorrow.
    - orange/ginger cranberry sauce good to go
    - mise en place for the oyster dressing (chopped oysters, leeks, onions, bay, sage, celery, fennel and a couple of good sourdough baguettes) is done
    - nutmeg/butternut squash is ready

doing the garlic/hot pepper roasted brussels sprouts tomorrow, along with some nice garlic mashed. the only thing i don't cover are the pies, which my mom'll be bringing. good times.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sashae View Post
    My folks are coming up from Maryland to do din in NYC, so I'm trying to do the traditional fam stuff as much as possible.

- garlic/peppercorn/bay brined bird in the fridge, going in 9am tomorrow.
    - orange/ginger cranberry sauce good to go
    - mise en place for the oyster dressing (chopped oysters, leeks, onions, bay, sage, celery, fennel and a couple of good sourdough baguettes) is done
    - nutmeg/butternut squash is ready

doing the garlic/hot pepper roasted brussels sprouts tomorrow, along with some nice garlic mashed. the only thing i don't cover are the pies, which my mom'll be bringing. good times.
    Hey, I did the cranberries (about a pound) with zest and juice of one orange, a half cup of sugar and a couple of real cinnamon sticks. How does the ginger compare?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Becuase we are talking about cranberries I'd like to share the most interesting cranberry salsa. I've made this for yrs. and yrs. with a few variations. Make it tonight so the jalapenos have time to blend flavors. This is really good and of all places the recipe is from the Butterball website:

3 cups (12 ounces) coarsely chopped fresh cranberries
    1/2 cup honey
    2 large oranges, peeled, sectioned
    1 small red onion, finely chopped
    1/2 cup dried apricots, thinly sliced
    1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
    2 jalapeno peppers, seeded, finely chopped
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last year was the first year for a grill smoked turkey, never going to do it another way. Right now the bird is happily brining away in a gallon of water, a gallon of apple cider, ground pepper, chopped sage, maple syrup and a good half cup of Kosher salt. Tomorrow it goes on the Webber, with a cheese cloth soaked in butter covering the breast. Indirect heat, some hickory wood soaked in water, and time. Some wine in the pan underneath. This year we have a newborn, so all I'm doing is the turkey, in-laws are doing the rest.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that scallops and prosciutto sounds downright tasty. post game reporting is required on this one.

Eddie - try a ponzu sauce in place of the soy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm totally hearing the english accent and proper actions. Are we snobs? (I'm watching antiques road show in england) Keep going. This rocks...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dorman View Post
    Hey, I did the cranberries (about a pound) with zest and juice of one orange, a half cup of sugar and a couple of real cinnamon sticks. How does the ginger compare?
    My wife has always done it with ginger, so I'm following family orders ;)

1.5lbs cranberries
    juice and zest of one orange
    thumb-sized knob of ginger, chopped fine
    1/2 cup of water (to start the berries)
    1c maple syrup

It turns out really nicely, sweet-tart in an appealing way against all of the heaviness of the rest of the meal. Got the bird in the oven already, table's set...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small time at my house this year. Only cooking for Three heads. The menu is as follows.

1st course is gonna be turkey liver mousse on toast. You all used your liver for something right?? It came with a liver. Eat it.
    Add to your liver, or livers cream thyme sugar salt, bake in a water bath in a few ramekins next to the confit. Spread it on crusty bread when it's done.

Dinner will be:

Pasture Raised Turkey Two Ways: Confit of Leg and Thigh(in goose/duck fat) and Bourbon Glazed Bone In Roasted Turkey Breast.
    Mashed Potatoes Straight Up: Heavy Cream Butter Salt and Pepper.
    Crock-Pot Stuffing: Red Hen Bread, Onioncarrotcelery, Butter, Chicken Stock. Low for 5 hours.
    Glazed Vegetables: Carrot, Parsnip, Pearl Onion.
    Collard Greens: Braised with onion garlic red wine.

Here are some Teasers. I'm going to do a detailed blog post tonight or tomorrow.

Confit before going into the oven. There wasn't quite enough fat, but the turkey will release a tiny bit and it will get smaller as it cooks. I'll flip it all over half way through. 300 oven for 4 hours.

When you take the bird apart before cooking it you get all this to play around with. I got extra necks from the farmer who provided the bird along with another couple of treats you'll see next. Best Turkey Stock in the history of the world.

Roasted Turkey Parts for Stock.

These Pasture Raised Turkey Feet were Made for Walking. And now they'll add incomparable gelatinous body to the stock/gravy. Know your Farmer. Get your turkey's feet!

Here's the stock when I just turned it on. Skim skim skim skim skim skim skim skim skim skim skim.

Thankful for this wonderful Salon. Hope you all are enjoying the company of family/friends and cooking good food!!!!
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HST buddy old pal you just made my list of people and places to visit after I quit the Fed. Dewd. That is spectacular. Nothing fancy or too intense, I like how you roll.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    HST buddy old pal you just made my list of people and places to visit after I quit the Fed. Dewd. That is spectacular. Nothing fancy or too intense, I like how you roll.
    I'm glad you like it! I'm hoping I can cook for a VSalon group at camp/ballersride/something sometime soon. The Confit is out of the oven. The breast is in. I brushed it with confit fat before roasting. Once it's nicely browned i'll start brushing it with the Bourbon Glaze that I made last night. every 10 minutes for last half hour or so I think. Glazed Veg are going. Just need to re-heat them to serve when everything's done. Stock is really smelling amazing. Potatoes will be boiling soon. Collards are the only thing I haven't started, and those are quick. I love this shit. Finally made the switch from Coffee to Bourbon too.....Loving Life. More pics later.
    "Buy the Ticket, Take the Ride"
    -H.S.T.

"Convenience can take over, it can be distracting, and it can make you lazy."
    -Grant Peterson

Adventures in Food and Eating

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast