Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ok all you graphic designers/ digital artists

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ok all you graphic designers/ digital artists

Jorn made me think…does Austin have anything like The Carnegie Museum of Art in Pittsburgh, where there are art classes for the masses? When I was a kid, I went to The Carnegie every Saturday for a couple of months a year and had a ball, which I didn’t expect to have. I met kids from all over the city that I never would have met, rode the bus on my own and hung out at a record store with musicians, college kids and hippies. A lot of independence mixed with discipline and an appreciation for the creative process. Two of my kids followed the same path (sans the bus, record store and hippies) and one of them became a museum docent and pursued an arts career as a direct result of her art class experience. It’ll get your kid out of the house too.

https://cmoa.org/programs/teens/

https://carnegiemuseums.org/carnegie...y-the-masters/
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We set the grandson up with a Wacom tablet last year and he loves it. He does use in iMac alongside it.

re software give Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher a look. They have OS and desktop versions. I do a lot of layout / printing work and Affinity Designer = Illustrator for $55 right now and the iPad version is $10. and it's a one time $. https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/designer/#buy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You alluded to a back story with an iPhone, I don't know what that was (and I am not asking) so keep in mind that none of the following takes that into account.

For what is worth, I am currently responsible for several creative groups (video, illustration, straight up graphics, interactive design, etc, etc), made my living as a designer/illustrator in my younger years, taught art at various levels, was a traditional trained portrait and landscape artist, blah, bah, blah. Those "younger years" corresponded with the rise of the digital world which meant that I had to transition from everything being done by hand to everything being done digitally.

What I went through personally and what I see taking place in the current creative world is highly dependent on what the person's main technic/skill/goal is. The illustrators largely go with some type of tablet and pen. The graphics/interaction/videos people tend to go with a mouse and keyboard. Of course this is not a 100% truth, but by and large people tend to fall that way. I also fell in this pattern. I used various Wacom tablet and pens when doing illustration and digital painting while using a mouse and keyboard for other things.

I wouldn't push the paper and pencil thing too hard. With all due respect to my fellow VSalon members, creating a completed piece by hand and scanning/digitizing it is a very different thing than creating a digital piece of art. I agree that drawing is a foundational skill but it sounds like what you are after is to stoke a passion and support a young person who has had a rough go. This is different then trying to strategically raise the next great artist. Plus times have changed. We don't make people spend years cutting rubylith to before becoming a graphic artist any more than we insist that someone learns how to drive a manual transmission before driving an automatic (...that should start a side thread...). This is coming from ~60 year old guy that has made a living in the creative world for over 40 years. Let the kid jump into the pool where he wants. You can always add in the other things later once the flame gets a little stronger.

With all that said...amazing work can be made with an iPad, an Apple pen, some good software, and some type of off device storage. If he is interested in digital things, the learning curve will be much shorten than those of us that did not grow up in the digital first world.
    The Wacom tablets are also very good. One of the main things with these is to make sure that the computer it is connected to has enough umph to make work smoothly.

I personally like the iPad/Apple pen set-up. However I no longer do large pieces. If I was still doing larger pieces I would use the Wacom tablet and a machine with a large monitor, a ton of memory, major horse power, and strong graphics components. Large digital pieces are tough on machines and require a lot of storage space. Adobe has software plans that include off device storage.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

many community art centers teach classes in digital art, painting, drawing, ceramics, photography, etc etc. it might be interesting to see what is nearby and if any of the classes are appealing. seems like a digital art class might be great in a few ways and the instructor might have some recommendations per equipment.

most art centers have a good community and people to meet of all ages. for myself, i have enjoyed doing ceramics at the local place and had many great conversations while making mugs and bowls. i agree if the kid is pushing for digital to take that seriously. On some crazy planet, should the kid see ceramics and show some interest. DM me and we'll get on the phone.

if the digital art sticks, or any other crafty activity, there are some craft schools where one might go immerse themselves for a week or two. Penland, Haystack, and Arrowmont are examples. There are plenty of others. Might be an interesting summer "camp" in a new and usually positive environment. I've been to Haystack in Maine and its a fantastic experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bewheels View Post
    spend years cutting rubylith to before becoming a graphic artist
    @Bewheels But the mad skilz we have from cutting rubylith with a #11!!!! ; )

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    @Bewheels But the mad skilz we have from cutting rubylith with a #11 !!!! ; )
    I thought I might draw you out with that comment (no pun intended).
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I might draw you out with that comment (no pun intended).
    Well played sir and the pun certainly would be there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stand by the analog drawing as a key part of growth while the digital process could be a profession. Not mutually exclusive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't get a road bike for a kid that wants a mountain bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Stand by the analog drawing as a key part of growth while the digital process could be a profession. Not mutually exclusive.
    100% agree ....I think...

As a matter of fact, all of the designers/artists that I have worked with and/or hired over the years have all had one thing in common...they had rock solid drawing skills. We were willing to put in the time to teach people specific digital tools or techniques. We were not willing to teach people core drawing skills. That core capability was flushed out in the portfolio review process. It is easy to spot. Said another way, being able to use a digital tool does not make you a professional. The tools change over time. The core elements of being a creative professional don't.

And I know I am rambling a bit at this point - I also don't tie drawing skills with a specific medium. Drawing on a tablet with a stylus, drawing with a pencil on paper, drawing with a rapidograph on tracing paper, drawing with non-compressed charcoal that is still in the shape of twig on handmade paper, drawing with your finger in the sand, etc are all means to an end. Of course many of these are much less expensive than dealing with digital things.

Jorn - I am sure you know I was not focusing on your comment with my original response. Some of the underlying themes in the thread are well worn topics in my other worlds. A version of 'what is the best frame material' if you will. I had a relapse and dove in.

Stoke the fire of the kid and see where it goes. Part of the fun of being a parent is seeing interests take hold a play out a bit.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As an illustrator myself I unfortunately prefer the art done by hand first over iPads etc, I see some vey nice work done digitally and I understand the ease of producing digitally too for work reasons as well as this is the way many illustrators like to produce now.

I just see a higher credibility in being able to create nice work by hand, I agree with some, teach the child to start with by hand then move to the digital device later...it doesn't matter anyway I'm over trying to convince people about the poor choices of using digital devices and what they do to us...we become "wired" rather than connected.
    "Striker, listen, and you listen close...flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

100% agree ....I think...

As a matter of fact, all of the designers/artists that I have worked with and/or hired over the years have all had one thing in common...they had rock solid drawing skills. We were willing to put in the time to teach people specific digital tools or techniques. We were not willing to teach people core drawing skills. That core capability was flushed out in the portfolio review process. It is easy to spot. Said another way, being able to use a digital tool does not make you a professional. The tools change over time. The core elements of being a creative professional don't.

And I know I am rambling a bit at this point - I also don't tie drawing skills with a specific medium. Drawing on a tablet with a stylus, drawing with a pencil on paper, drawing with a rapidograph on tracing paper, drawing with non-compressed charcoal that is still in the shape of twig on handmade paper, drawing with your finger in the sand, etc are all means to an end. Of course many of these are much less expensive than dealing with digital things.

Jorn - I am sure you know I was not focusing on your comment with my original response. Some of the underlying themes in the thread are well worn topics in my other worlds. A version of 'what is the best frame material' if you will. I had a relapse and dove in.

Stoke the fire of the kid and see where it goes. Part of the fun of being a parent is seeing interests take hold a play out a bit.
    No I get it definitely. Well said. No disagreement. Kid-centered decision here. Interest in creativity is always a good thing. Cannot give an interested kid too many opportunities.
    Last edited by j44ke; 12-14-2021 at 06:05 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    @Bewheels But the mad skilz we have from cutting rubylith with a #11 !!!! ; )
    Ahhh, the smell of Super 77 wafting thru the office.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On the hardware front: I have a Lenovo Yoga Xwhatever that comes with a pen and is really nice to get into drawing digitally. I would stay away from a dedicated wacom tablet as it is not very portable.

Having said that, although a 12" I find it a little too bulky. Like drawing on a plane for example was uncomfortable and an ipad would have probably been more comfortable. On the pro side it is a full fledged computer that is more comfortable to use than an ipad for many other things.

What about the Microsoft Surface line ? They are probably inbetween my Lenovo and an Ipad in term of form factor and can also be used for studies and such.

Another node: I would stay away from the Adobe ecosystem for now. Your son can do any educated decision if he ever become a professionnal graphic designer but:
    - this is a money pit and a trap mostly.
    - most graphic designer stick to Adobe products because they are used to them and their muscle and brain memory make them feel they lose a lot of productivity if trying another product. Resistance to change. That doesn't mean the Adobe products aren't full of nice functionnalities but most people only use a subset of capabilities.
    - there are many decent alternatives to Illustrator and Photoshop that require only a reasonnable one time payment

Additionnally a nice present would be to offer him access to some art classes and some of the traditionnal tools.
    --
    T h o m a s

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12