Thread: Double-Edge Safety Razor Guidance

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Double-Edge Safety Razor Guidance

Quote Originally Posted by aaronv View Post
    Modern safety bicycle is to high wheeler as safety razor is to straight razor. Safety razor seems like a good compromise and was a success in large part because the penalty for shaving while groggy was so much less compared to a straight razor.
    I "discovered" the safety razor just this August. 2.5 mos later and i'm learning to use/hone/strop the Straight Razor.

I started with a Schick Crona, then to all the best of the 50's/60's and now i only use 1920/30 open-comb saftey razors. Learning the "touch" will come quickly, as razorburn will heighten your focus.

I recommend mastering teh DE razor before tackling the SR (if you must). Straights require zen focus, i only use mine on easy days.

The SR is mostly for braggin' rights. I'm not to the point of preferring it for performance yet, if ever.

Keep the lather moist and the touch light. nicks and burns are rites of passage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, the biggest difference is that since I got my straight razor I now enjoy shaving. Prior to that it was a chore that I really didn't look forward to. I would say, much like gardening versus mowing the lawn.

Plus I have a sense of ownership now, and instead of going to walgreens and dropping $30 on disposable cartridges every few months, I sit down at the table and hone my razor.

As far as fear of catastrophy goes: I've never heard of anybody accidentally slitting their throat open, and many people shave with straight razors. Most of these people I'm sure have way less coordination than all the cyclists here.

But, to each his own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 for qedusa.com. I like feather blades myself and I've become a big fan of the QED glycerine sticks (especially for travel). They lather up great and have a kajillion scents.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a badger brush which I bought when I was in high school, I graduated high school in 1978 so that $17 brush (how do I still remember that?) has lasted a long time and I think I have got my money out of it.

I have no idea any longer what razor I use as it is close to 40 years old but it looks a lot like the Parker brand ones on some of the websites referenced herein. All I know is that like the brush, I seem to have got my money's worth out of it.

I use (now) Feather blades which I buy by the 100 count from Amazon, and my soap is from Crabtree and Evelyn because that is what my girls buy me for Christmas.

For a travel case to keep my shaving stuff together I use a Brooks leather saddle bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As a new shaver, you might consider the plastic Feather razor: Amazon.com: Feather Double-Edge Razor by Jatai comes with 2 Hi-Stainless Blades: Health & Personal Care

I'm recently switched to double edge razors and found the plastic Feather very forgiving and much harder to cut myself with that the Mekur -- It has less "bite." I also actually like the fact that it is made mostly of plastic -- the lack of mass means my fingers can really feel what the blade is doing. The Merkur give a closer shave, however, and as I become more skilled I prefer it. The Feather is quite cheap.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by professerr View Post
    As a new shaver, you might consider the plastic Feather razor: Amazon.com: Feather Double-Edge Razor by Jatai comes with 2 Hi-Stainless Blades: Health & Personal Care

I'm recently switched to double edge razors and found the plastic Feather very forgiving and much harder to cut myself with that the Mekur -- It has less "bite." I also actually like the fact that it is made mostly of plastic -- the lack of mass means my fingers can really feel what the blade is doing. The Merkur give a closer shave, however, and as I become more skilled I prefer it. The Feather is quite cheap.
    Keep in mind a light plastic razor like this often perpetuates that bad habit of applying pressure with your razor, you should let the weight of the razor do the work. That being said, Feather always makes top notch stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got a Merkur safety razor a few weeks ago (Feather spares). The blade is lasting much longer than the Gillette cartridge I was using. The thing that surprises me most about the safety razor is the control you get. I didn't realize the blade is curved to an angle and is hidden behind the thick/rounded metal edge of the razor head. I shave the same way as before, but I don't have to guess what the flappy cartridge head is doing. Because the razor head can be held against the skin I can also relax the skin and get the right contact. Super close shave and no irritation!

I don't find the brush matters much—I always usd a very hot towel against the hair before shaving. The brush (properly warmed) in a nice bowl is great for lathering, though, and also reduces waste with the shaving cream...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great thread! Buying a Merkur immediately. This is a subject I've been meaning to learn about for a really long time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started with a vintage Gilette Fat Boy. It was a great start, I knew it could be better.

Next, I got the Merkur Futur which I really like and still do. The razor is very well made and I liked the weight. Still, I had a hard time shaving some of my face with it and decided I needed something minimalist.

Last and forever more I'm with this Feather Stainless Steel razor. It is ridiculously simple in design, nothing will ever wear and it is typical of Japanese products...it is nicer than it needs to be. End game for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using a Merkur that I love. I think I'm going on 4 years with it now. And that's after a few years with some cheap knock off safety razor.

I've always used Derby blades, though. No mention of them (that I saw) as of yet in this thread. No love for them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by danielcanrideabike View Post
    I'm using a Merkur that I love. I think I'm going on 4 years with it now. And that's after a few years with some cheap knock off safety razor.

I've always used Derby blades, though. No mention of them (that I saw) as of yet in this thread. No love for them?
    Everyone is different, those Derby blades did not work for me. Sharper is better for some reason and the Feather blades are wicked sharp.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still shave'n with my military px issued double blade gillette blue..

ouch with a nick'd smile,

ronnie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Everyone is different, those Derby blades did not work for me. Sharper is better for some reason and the Feather blades are wicked sharp.
    You use a Feather razor too I recall right? Only time I could use feathers was with a mellow razor (Weber in my case). With the Futur I find them too rough, I prefer Personnas or Astras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -HvA- View Post
    You use a Feather razor too I recall right? Only time I could use feathers was with a mellow razor (Weber in my case). With the Futur I find them too rough, I prefer Personnas or Astras.
    That is correct. I think the feather razor is a good match and IIRC using the feather blade with my Merkur resulted in carnage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using a Merkur Long Handle with Feather razors and have no real trouble.* And I am a novice. The Feathers are so sharp I feel like I am cutting at the atomic level. Crazy smooth. I'm very happy with the results, shaving every other day.

* Question: If I keep shaving off the top of an old mole, will it eventually disappear? Or should I pay a dermatologist to whack it? Seriously, what do the shaving sages say?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    I'm using a Merkur Long Handle with Feather razors and have no real trouble.* And I am a novice. The Feathers are so sharp I feel like I am cutting at the atomic level. Crazy smooth. I'm very happy with the results, shaving every other day.

* Question: If I keep shaving off the top of an old mole, will it eventually disappear? Or should I pay a dermatologist to whack it? Seriously, what do the shaving sages say?
    Dermatologist. About 10 yrs. back I finally gave in and had one sliced off my neck. Now the slicing part was ok but the alcoholic doc with shaking hands was another story.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disregard my last question, Badger and Blade had it covered ad naseum. Apparently it is all about technique and angle of approach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Dermatologist. About 10 yrs. back I finally gave in and had one sliced off my neck. Now the slicing part was ok but the alcoholic doc with shaking hands was another story.
    Thanks, Too Tall! (I didn't mean to be rude, just posted at same time.) I think this will be the end game for mine. The B&B guys were saying the approach angle is key, but I'm limited by my big awkward nose. If I keep whacking it, the doc will take it off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by billrick View Post
    Thanks, Too Tall! (I didn't mean to be rude, just posted at same time.) I think this will be the end game for mine. The B&B guys were saying the approach angle is key, but I'm limited by my big awkward nose. If I keep whacking it, the doc will take it off.
    HAHA I thought you were talking about a mole. The main reason I invested in the ridiculously overpriced Feather DE is because it has a very thin head. We have similar issues wrt generous schnozzolas.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A straight can get in there where the DE doesn't go so easily. If you has one.

I now flip and flop 'tween the SR's and the DE's. Skin tension is the key to a good SR shave. Finding ways to achieve that tension without blocking your view or access is the tricky trick.

But i still can't get as tight a shave with the SR. I have to shave daily with the SR whereas every other day is okay with DE.

I even burned myself with the DE recently (first time since first try). Got distracted exchanging txt with GF. Don't get distracted, shave first-then get distracted.

It was a good reminder to respect the Safety Razor, even after so many Straight Razor shaves.

Straight Razor Place is the shave forum i landed on after i got the boot at B&B. Same guy owns most all of them. He does a lot of honing videos on the 'tube.

cheers-

heck now i wanna shave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast