Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eliminating "The Path"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Eliminating "The Path"?

If a poster has a specific question they want answered by a select group of contributors, they can post on Mentor. The Mentor section isn't about banter, it's about cutting to the chase and moving on.

If a poster has a specific question, general topic, or wants to have an open discussion, they can post on the Path.

Nothing precludes open discussion, and non of it excludes contribution here on topics posted there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sense from talking to my frame building class students as to why this question of joining the 2 forums is raised is because traffic is down and they miss the activity. Whether it is a coincidence or not this appeared to happen about the same time the separation was created. The logic of having a mentor section is sound and in fact it is amazing that professionals take time to answer any questions by hobbyists. Knowledge is hard earned and can provide a competitive advantage in a crowded field. Perhaps the subject thread should be about how to increase forum traffic. Most of the dumb questions have already been asked. Perhaps some basic questions can be re-asked.

I don’t know the reasons for lower attendance (or even if there is lower attendance) but would guess several things. 1st there are fewer people getting interested in building their own frame and and the general knowledge already available and easily accessed has increased. That brings fewer questions. And somewhere in the past somebody (I don’t remember when or who) has asked a question that got attitude with the answer that made them feel unwelcome so they didn’t come back. In fact on this forum I am amazed how cordial almost everyone is but this is the internet where perfect civility is not always the norm on every post.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question about Mentor posting. If a non pro posts a question in mentor, and get replies from those who are allowed to reply, can the OP post further in that thread? Or will the OP's first post be their only one allowed? This might have been spelled out at some time but if so I have either forgotten or missed this detail. If not then the set up is very "effective" at stopping the give and take. Andy
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart View Post
    Question about Mentor posting. If a non pro posts a question in mentor, and get replies from those who are allowed to reply, can the OP post further in that thread? Or will the OP's first post be their only one allowed? This might have been spelled out at some time but if so I have either forgotten or missed this detail. If not then the set up is very "effective" at stopping the give and take. Andy
    I just double checked the settings and OPs can reply to their own threads so follow-up questions and further give and take can take place. If, for some reason, it's not functioning that way, let me know and I'll explore the settings further.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, it's designed so that the poster and responders can discuss as needed. I think that most posts are call and response if because the answers are usually to the point and address the issues.

Mentor is designed to be direct. I think the lack of lengthy discussion is a testament to the format working- ask a direct question, get a concise answer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good to hear this aspect of the OP getting a follow up in mentor. Andy (who hasn't had too many subjects to ask there but will soon ask one that's been on his mind. As soon as he can get off this third person reference thing:))
    Andy Stewart
    10%

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    - ask a direct question, get a concise answer.
    . Concise and Correct and tested answer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Eliminating "The Path"? Example:

I'm guessing this is why there is a Mentor and a Path section. Mentor section avoids step 4 and 5!

From the distorted seattube thread from 2015.
    https://www.velocipedesalon.com/foru...ion-43211.html

Quote Originally Posted by steve garro View Post
    Classic thread........

1: FNG asks question that's been asked 10000000 times before

2: professional builder(s) tell them the truth

3: FNG gets butt-hurt, believes truth does not apply to them.

4: People with slightly more experience (maybe) spew all kinds of hypothetical "answers" thereby clouding the waters when actual answer has been revealed.

5: Tempers flare out of control over the truth

6: Thread is locked.

7: REPEAT

- Garro.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12