User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Breaking down subcutaneous scar tissue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Breaking down subcutaneous scar tissue.

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    I think I will when I get home Monday - sounds like it could be a lovely rainy-day activity...
    Give it at least a couple weeks of doing it daily. I'm about to hit the road for the weekend, but PM if you need any info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    Broke my femur this year - good to hear the rolling helped. Any other tips? I suppose I'll find a good LMT to thrash me.
    Take the recovery slowly. I rushed into things and caused some serious (and seriously unnecessary) tendonitis. It takes a while (like months) for all that soft tissue to settle back into place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i favor the rolfing suggestion because i am rolfer but any decent massage therapist who knows how to work with fascia will be a big help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nbrewste View Post
    Take the recovery slowly. I rushed into things and caused some serious (and seriously unnecessary) tendonitis. It takes a while (like months) for all that soft tissue to settle back into place.
    Cool thanks - it happened in February, but the leg is still settling in and I have a lot more work to do.
    Start slow, then taper off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is unique about castor oil? My PT sticks my hand in a big vat of paraffin and after wrapping it in Saran wrap puts weighted hot towels on it to loosen the finger up before she starts working on it. Is there something in the castor oil I'm going to absorb and that works on the garbage?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    What is unique about castor oil? My PT sticks my hand in a big vat of paraffin and after wrapping it in Saran wrap puts weighted hot towels on it to loosen the finger up before she starts working on it. Is there something in the castor oil I'm going to absorb and that works on the garbage?
    Not sure what the chemical properties are, but it has a long standing historical use for benign tumors, (malignant even, but I've not met a direct case of that), scar tissue, etc. Application is very similar to what your PT is doing, Saran wrap helps protect towels, you can use a hot water bottle to help it absorb.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My Mrs (acupuncturist) says the castor oil helps the heat to penetrate deeper into the tissue. It has a number of medicinal properties, but HvA describes it well as: apply castor oil, layer of plastic wrap (so as to not make a mess), then heating pad. Paraffin works well on hands/fingers since it can get in all the nooks and crannies that a heating pad might miss. Also has a bit of moisture that helps with the penetration. And it's really fun to peel off.

We offered Heisenberg the PT/ acupuncture tag team in exchange for babysitting our 3 year old. He hightailed out of town.
    Last edited by ned; 10-27-2012 at 09:46 PM. Reason: Oh yeah, paraffin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'd repeatedly swab the area with iodine-- twice a day, and then put moisturizer on it. it's pretty bizarre how this works-- but if you keep up the regimen-- it'll help break that stuff down and basically regenerate the skin. iodine's weird stuff-- but it heals you up like mad- and since it's not in a visible location, having brown stains on your skin shouldn't matter much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ned View Post
    My Mrs (acupuncturist) says the castor oil helps the heat to penetrate deeper into the tissue. It has a number of medicinal properties, but HvA describes it well as: apply castor oil, layer of plastic wrap (so as to not make a mess), then heating pad. Paraffin works well on hands/fingers since it can get in all the nooks and crannies that a heating pad might miss. Also has a bit of moisture that helps with the penetration. And it's really fun to peel off.

We offered Heisenberg the PT/ acupuncture tag team in exchange for babysitting our 3 year old. He hightailed out of town.
    He'll be back Thursday. Bwahahaha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12