User Tag List

Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I Want to Talk About Subtlety (Not So Subtly)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I Want to Talk About Subtlety

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Ha. Its also a geographical thing. Here in Florida - if you want girls, you'd better have a Ferrari, a closet full of Affliction/Ed Hardy or various black pinstriped dress shirts with patterned inner cuffs, and True Religion jeans. I'm sure as fuck not dressing like that - then again - I'm not after girls here (thankfully I'm married and met my foreign wife in Ohio).
    I hate that this is true. Good thing my wife is one of the few down here that likes dorks with bicycles, an extensive collection of black t-shirts, and indigo levis.

And don't get me started on the travesty that is Ed Hardy clothing and how unrelated it is to Ed Hardy the tattooer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Whoa whoa whoa. This isn't a thread about getting laid. It takes more than just looking good (sometimes) for that. And I disagree that it is a geographical thing. There are well dressed, attractive people everywhere. I have friends that have moved to Florida- no, I don't really know why- who aren't into that stuff.

And what's wrong with occasionally getting hit on by dudes? They're dudes that are into dudes. That kind of makes them dude experts. Take it as a compliment.

There are other reasons to look good. As Richard said, look how you want to look. Do it because it makes you feel good. I find the dumbest excuses to suit up sometimes. Because I like it.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. This isn't a thread about getting laid. It takes more than just looking good (sometimes) for that. And I disagree that it is a geographical thing. There are well dressed, attractive people everywhere. I have friends that have moved to Florida- no, I don't really know why- who aren't into that stuff.

And what's wrong with occasionally getting hit on by dudes? They're dudes that are into dudes. That kind of makes them dude experts. Take it as a compliment.

There are other reasons to look good. As Richard said, look how you want to look. Do it because it makes you feel good. I find the dumbest excuses to suit up sometimes. Because I like it.
    Yeah, I diverted to the wrong path - sorry. But there is a different between dressing well for yourself and dressing well to get laid (that part is regional depending on demographic although few chicks everywhere will dig well-dressed in our sense of the term).

Also - come to Fort Lauderdale with that beard and see what happens ... I plead, for your safety, stay out The Sports Den on league night.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I came to this same place in recent years. I'm generally a very simple dresser. Jeans, solid black t or simple button down, nothing fancy. I work in IT. Over the last few years I found the work dress code getting stupid sloppy. Bright running shoes, ill fitting pants or jeans, and "polo" shirts with our company name on them (I already know where you work). So I started dressing up. Tailored shirts, nice shoes, sport coat for any day with an important meeting (or just because), and sometimes even a suit. There's no denying the extra confidence I have on those days that I'm suited up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I came to this same place in recent years. I'm generally a very simple dresser. Jeans, solid black t or simple button down, nothing fancy. I work in IT. Over the last few years I found the work dress code getting stupid sloppy. Bright running shoes, ill fitting pants or jeans, and "polo" shirts with our company name on them (I already know where you work). So I started dressing up. Tailored shirts, nice shoes, sport coat for any day with an important meeting (or just because), and sometimes even a suit. There's no denying the extra confidence I have on those days that I'm suited up.
    You and Me, Suits, PRL. Let's do this.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    You and Me, Suits, PRL. Let's do this.
    Who's going to foot the dry-cleaning bill?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get hit on my dudes a lot more than women. I think that's just because that is what dudes do. Good advice Chase. When I want to look presentable that is my philosophy. When I don't... well, you've seen me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other day, I was driving through Santa Monica when I had to stop for a light near the local MTV building. As the pedestrians went to and fro in front of my car, that's when I saw her: a breath-taking young woman in a dark silk blouse, a pencil skirt, sheer stockings and modest heels. She had some jewelry, and the breeze tousled her hair a bit, but mostly it was behaving. Of course, it didn’t hurt that she was pretty. But more than that, she held herself well; walking gracefully, easily, and elegantly. This was a woman.

Then I saw the schlub next to her. The schmuck she was chatting with. He was in Keds, skinny jeans a little too short, a plaid shirt and some kind of “hip” string tie. What’s worse, Skuzzy McHipster hadn’t shaved recently – if ever – and had a few sporadic, anemic tufts of pubic fuzz that made him look greasy and unkempt. But worst of all, he was committing the ultimate sin: he was slouching. Not much, but enough to suggest that he knew he dressed - and carried himself - like a child.

I drove off, shaking my head, reminded of an old saying: “The clothes make the man.” For 99.99% of men, it's true. Even then, however, the clothes simply aren't up to the task because most men – like that poor schlub – lack the one essential thing they need to dress well, no matter what they’re wearing:

Self-confidence.

Sure, you can't be a man in full if you don't know a thing or two about style. The basics are easy to learn, and kinda fun. But the most important lesson, I think, is this: style isn’t about wondering which tie goes with which suit, when to unbutton the bottom of a waistcoat, French cuffs vs. plain, belts vs. bracers.

Style is about knowing these things.

I don't mean that in a "never wear plaid with stripes" or "never wear white after Labor Day" way. Once you've learned a thing or two about style, wear what you will, look at yourself in a mirror, and know, with utter effing certitude, that you look good.

And you will.

Know why a black man can wear a purple turtleneck with a day-glo orange velvet coat and turn every head in the room in awe? Because if he’s doin’ it right, he’s got the confidence to pull that shit off. He glides into the room, and double-dog fucking dares anyone and everyone to think he looks anything less than bad-ass.

And he wins. Hands down. Every time.

But so does the pasty white guy in khakis, loafers, and a v-neck sweater, if he carries himself with even a modicum of confidence. He doesn't have to be arrogant, but he absolutely cannot act like he just wet the bed and his mom’s gonna hang the sheet out the window for the girl next door to see.

Rock & rollers don’t look good because they’re in tattered jeans and cowboy boots wrapped up in duct tape. They look good because they like that they're in tattered Levis and 10 dollar boots. They're rebels, and they know it, and they own it, and they just don’t care who thinks otherwise. Same thing with a bespoke suit; drape a weasely lawyer in ten grand worth of worsted wool, and he’ll still look like an untrustworthy little rat. But put the exact same suit on his identical twin brother – the one with the ready smile who stands tall, knows his mind and speaks it, opens doors for women just because he can...

And behold the man.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a nice post an all, a decent reminder to keep up appearances, BUT:

if you really think the clothes make the man, or the way a man dresses really contributes to who he really is, you're living in a very delicate bubble. Those of us that are not constrained by economic duress have the luxury of the choice to select clothes which present the image we want to. big deal.

i've spent a decent amount of time well outside the comfort zone, in what's referred to as the third world. i've met, drank with, and spent real time with people who are worried about where their next meal is coming from, or how to deal with raising children despite abject poverty surrounding them. try being the head of the household in a real-deal poverty stricken community. worrying about the fever your son has and no access to modern medicine, spotty access to clean, drinkable water, holding it all together with a threadbare shoe string. those are MEN. those are real men, who are out there every day, and the women who support them, and the families. Some of the nicest people i've ever met, the most engaging, interesting, genuinely great people.

these are the men who are wearing a superbowl tshirt from the team that didnt win in 2 sizes too big.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

if you really think the clothes make the man, or the way a man dresses really contributes to who he really is, you're living in a very delicate bubble. Those of us that are not constrained by economic duress have the luxury of the choice to select clothes which present the image we want to. big deal.

i've spent a decent amount of time well outside the comfort zone, in what's referred to as the third world. i've met, drank with, and spent real time with people who are worried about where their next meal is coming from, or how to deal with raising children despite abject poverty surrounding them. try being the head of the household in a real-deal poverty stricken community. worrying about the fever your son has and no access to modern medicine, spotty access to clean, drinkable water, holding it all together with a threadbare shoe string. those are MEN. those are real men, who are out there every day, and the women who support them, and the families. Some of the nicest people i've ever met, the most engaging, interesting, genuinely great people.

these are the men who are wearing a superbowl tshirt from the team that didnt win in 2 sizes too big.
    Of course. And I dig that. But they weren't the intended audience for my post.

My apologies to anyone living that life, reading VS's The Art of Wardrobe in their free time.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course. And I dig that. But they weren't the intended audience for my post.

My apologies to anyone living that life, reading VS's The Art of Wardrobe in their free time.
    i was more responding to Jaq above who said that "99.99%" of the time, it's true that the clothes make the man. i'm picking up what you're putting down, dont worry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

On the other hand, one of my early Peace Corps lessons living in my dusty village in West Africa, several months in and still struggling to not be seen as a pale goldfish out of water- the elder patron of my host family one day pointed to my scruffy Tshirt and patched chinos and told me, politely (paraphrasing a bad translation) 'you look like shit, you should dress better'. And I started noticing that amidst the abject poverty, hard-ass daily labor in the fields, no running water etc, these guys I lived with, and for that matter the women too- each had 2 outfits. Filthy scraps of rags for working, and one nearly spotless (if worn and repaired) set of clothes that were worn every day after work hours. Most of the clothes were purchased out of bales of rejected US/Euro thrift shop throwaways (sold by the ton as commodities and shipped to developing countries, purchased by local traders and retailed in local markets as "dead white people's clothes). Each ensemble piece was an agonizing financial decision, carefully chosen and worn to hide the flaws. And these guys looked sharp. Really. Class and style all the way. I tried to emulate, got a few lessons from the guys and started getting invited to evening tea under the stars. Rockin'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    On the other hand, one of my early Peace Corps lessons living in my dusty village in West Africa, several months in and still struggling to not be seen as a pale goldfish out of water- the elder patron of my host family one day pointed to my scruffy Tshirt and patched chinos and told me, politely (paraphrasing a bad translation) 'you look like shit, you should dress better'. And I started noticing that amidst the abject poverty, hard-ass daily labor in the fields, no running water etc, these guys I lived with, and for that matter the women too- each had 2 outfits. Filthy scraps of rags for working, and one nearly spotless (if worn and repaired) set of clothes that were worn every day after work hours. Most of the clothes were purchased out of bales of rejected US/Euro thrift shop throwaways (sold by the ton as commodities and shipped to developing countries, purchased by local traders and retailed in local markets as "dead white people's clothes). Each ensemble piece was an agonizing financial decision, carefully chosen and worn to hide the flaws. And these guys looked sharp. Really. Class and style all the way. I tried to emulate, got a few lessons from the guys and started getting invited to evening tea under the stars. Rockin'.
    http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...tml#post441893
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sort of abhor being told that something I'm wearing is in style. Cause, in five years when its not, I'm still going to be wearing it. Leave me alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yep, that's Kinshasa smoove.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The only reason I dress the way I do is for my own personal joy. I feel I put a decent amount of effort into the way I look. Not to be stylish, but so I am confident in my skin. There is a certain way I like myself to look. It may come across as a little narcissistic to say that, but I like myself a certain way. Dressing to have myself feel like that person is part of what gives me the confidence to function at the level I like to function at. I occasionally get a compliment on how I look which isn't anything but simple. It is nice to receive a compliment now and again but that's not why I do put the effort in. The effort goes in so I can be the person I like best.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenNMotion View Post
    I think I've been trending more and more towards scruffy. This is a great reminder that the way you dress is a sign of respect (or lack of respect) for the folks around you. In this case the folks are very deserving of respect. Thanks for the lesson.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

carhartt double knees day to day. cuz i work.
    blue collar. my bikes're custom. but i support it all blue stylee.
    clothes make the man?
    man makes the man.
    goes without sayin'.

workshoes as costume. . .
    peacoats for landlubbers. . .
    fashion all.

not to be obstreperous.
    but really?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Philster View Post
    I think I've been trending more and more towards scruffy. This is a great reminder that the way you dress is a sign of respect (or lack of respect) for the folks around you. In this case the folks are very deserving of respect. Thanks for the lesson.
    Exactly what I think whenever I see another kid from the suburbs in his lumberjack outfit/matching facial hair in the middle of Bed-Stuy. Yeah we get it. You're roughin' it by being here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dress for what you do.
    no costumes.
    if you don't work?
    don't rock work boots.
    us blue collar guys?
    we don't wear cordovan shoes.'