User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Have you hit a person a bike while driving?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Have you hit a person a bike while driving?

I commuted by bike a lot when I lived in LA. GF lived in Playa del Rey, i lived in Hollywood. Worked at I Martin Imports. Riding to work one am from her place, North on Lincoln turning right onto Venice, the light is turning I am standing up and a pedestrian is waddling across the intersection. I gauge our speeds and point to go where he shouldn't be.
    He sees me and stops waddling. I clipped him and saw his briefcase go flying. I never looked back. This was 1990. LA is a treachorous commute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by quickag View Post
    Houston. He was an idiot though...he tried to build a half pipe in his living room while his mom was in jail. Probably the same dude.
    Please keep this story going. Sounds like it could only get better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Driving through campus while an undergraduate. Turned left in front of a young man on a bicycle, well, my age at the time. Dented my fender, damaged his bicycle and busted his knuckles a bit. Low speed for both of us, thank God.

Drove him home with bike in my car. Paid for the damage to his front wheel. Felt horrible.

I swear I looked! He claims we made eye contact before I turned. I think there were so many people I just missed him in the crowd. Once I started to make the turn I was making sure I didn't run over someone in the crosswalk.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Please keep this story going. Sounds like it could only get better.
    I'll tell you about my first backwards day and my first St. Patrick's day as well...threaddriftin...
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm pretty cautious with cyclists. i do tend to yell at the ones not riding "correctly".

I did have a kid run into my car because he was jamming down the sidewalk with a blind corner... He was shook up luckily there was no harm to either party.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    Driving through campus while an undergraduate. Turned left in front of a young man on a bicycle, well, my age at the time. Dented my fender, damaged his bicycle and busted his knuckles a bit. Low speed for both of us, thank God.

Drove him home with bike in my car. Paid for the damage to his front wheel. Felt horrible.

I swear I looked! He claims we made eye contact before I turned. I think there were so many people I just missed him in the crowd. Once I started to make the turn I was making sure I didn't run over someone in the crosswalk.
    You were in college and I'm sure you got distracted by some smoking hot co-ed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost hit a Cyclist last week, dusk, 4" of slush, no rear light, and 3 reflector strips on his coat. I followed him for a while, he made a couple turns finally stopped on a side road and had the world weary "What" on his lips when i said I think the battery is out on your rear light. He got hit by a drunk driver and the cops told him
    that a rear light was like a magnet to a drunk they keep looking at till they hit it reflectors are better. I ride bikes says I, and I almost hit you. Get a light the brighter the better especially now, no one expects to see a cyclist out this time of year. We had a bit more conversation and went our ways. I hope he stays safe, but I doubt he'll follow my advice.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a seemingly innocuous MUT crossing near my house. It's sort of a stealth danger zone, as opposed to an obvious one. The combination of the surrounding fencing and wide A pillars on cars these days makes it really hard to see. I watch mine and everyone else's asses there, but there have still been a few close calls. Bad design.

Is there such thing as the wrong way on a sidewalk? Not that I spend much non-pedestrian time there, but those seem like two-way avenues to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12