Thread: Watches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Watches

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    If the watch is lugged and has complimentary paint it's a go. Otherwise it's a major fashion faux pas and it's very fortunate you asked. I'm frequently at a loss deciding what to wear depending on whether I take the Aston Martin or the Ferrari. But when I put the Chris Craft in each year up at the Vineyard I know exactly which timepiece comes with: the Omega Sea Food looks fine on my wrist steering out of the slip.
    but you wouldn't dare climb aboard the Sopwith Camel with anything less than a vintage aviator, pre purge valve-right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WadePatton View Post
    but you wouldn't dare climb aboard the Sopwith Camel with anything less than a vintage aviator, pre purge valve-right?
    Dude, ya lost me after Sopwith Camel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey now!!!! Snoppy needs a watch to fight the red baron!

From his flying doghouse!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

true story: my wife and i exchanged watches as our wedding gifts to each other. mine was (is, but i'll get to that) a baume & mercier capeland automatic.

got back from a 2-week honeymoon and went out for a bike ride, wearing the watch. what could go wrong?

coming down a hill, spacing out, made the rookie mistake of getting funneled into a cutout below the road surface. went to bunny-hop out of it back onto the road, did some wrong steering...

the next thing i know i'm on the ground, bleeding from a few spots, with a giant hematoma and cut on my left wrist/forearm where the watch hit the ground, then came unclasped and slid up my arm to almost the elbow. crystal scratched, case REALLY scratched, bracelet scratched, crown scratched.

declined (stupidly) a trip to the ER. sent the watch back to B&M and they had to rebuild the whole thing; virtually the only original part was the back plate with the engraving from my wife on it.

now i only wear watches i don't give a sh#t about when i ride...either cheap digital or my hamilton khaki, which is a perfectly adequate. more often i don't even wear a watch.

i still have the scars. fortunately, i still have the wife (and the watch) too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    true story: my wife and i exchanged watches as our wedding gifts to each other. mine was (is, but i'll get to that) a baume & mercier capeland automatic.

got back from a 2-week honeymoon and went out for a bike ride, wearing the watch. what could go wrong?

coming down a hill, spacing out, made the rookie mistake of getting funneled into a cutout below the road surface. went to bunny-hop out of it back onto the road, did some wrong steering...

the next thing i know i'm on the ground, bleeding from a few spots, with a giant hematoma and cut on my left wrist/forearm where the watch hit the ground, then came unclasped and slid up my arm to almost the elbow. crystal scratched, case REALLY scratched, bracelet scratched, crown scratched.

declined (stupidly) a trip to the ER. sent the watch back to B&M and they had to rebuild the whole thing; virtually the only original part was the back plate with the engraving from my wife on it.

now i only wear watches i don't give a sh#t about when i ride...either cheap digital or my hamilton khaki, which is a perfectly adequate. more often i don't even wear a watch.

i still have the scars. fortunately, i still have the wife (and the watch) too.
    But do you ride mostly steel,lugged bikes? And what about your appreciation of $12,000 to $14,000 carbon bikes?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
    Alternative view: Visualize, after the crash, your wrist/forearm/elbow without the watch on. Imagine a broken wrist/arm and massive side of bacon. Maybe the watch saved you from am even worse fate. Thank your spouse for the gift that kept on giving.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Damn, those of us who won't spring for more than a 25$ Walmart Timex feel pretty left out here.
    I gave my cousin the only Patek Phillipe I will ever own: made for Tiffany circa 1864, came down to me from my father. Sometimes I have second thoughts, but I just figured it would get lost in the bike clutter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    Damn, those of us who won't spring for more than a 25$ Walmart Timex feel pretty left out here.
    I gave my cousin the only Patek Phillipe I will ever own: made for Tiffany circa 1864, came down to me from my father. Sometimes I have second thoughts, but I just figured it would get lost in the bike clutter.
    I hope you REALLY liked your cousin a LOT!

Maybe a LOT more than a lot!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jr59 View Post
    Please tell us of the Patek. Hunter case? What size? What movement? TELL...TEL...TELLL!
    It was just a joke. I did have an offer to buy one some time ago. It was a gold hunter case, had the initials HHH beautifully inscribed and had a simple movement with white ivory face and roman numerals. In original box with original Patek papers for $1500. That was a few years back. Probably should have bought it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DRAT! DRAT! DRAT and double DRAT!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Watch?
    What watch?
    un abrazo,
    Henrique Tono

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's funny how people in interest groups can knock some other group for buying some expensive item while spending a 400% price increase for a label that has nothing to do with an increase in quality or performance( i.e. Taiwanese frames relabeled as Italian masterpieces). Its true that cheap battery watches keep better time than any Rolex. But, like buying a Richard Sachs bike, the appreciation of the skill that was required to construct a product like a Sachs or a Rolex is something that I understand.
    I guess that I hit a nerve with a few, because I mentioned that I felt uncomfortable bragging about how much my watch cost with my cycling buddies. To me the Sachs should cost many times more than a Dogma. It takes so much more skill to make the Sachs. Today's Protour racers are riding 200-300 dollar Taiwanese bikes. Sorry, if I offended any Dogma owners.
    Don C.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you have a 68 Speedy, pre-moon. I wouldn't take that. That watch can not be fixed easily. No parts are made for it and parts are getting hard to find.

Wear your watch in good health and ride heck out of your bike.[/QUOTE]

I do have a '69 speedy moon watch (not wearing it riding,only wear the hamilton on the bike when commuting never the Omega) are parts getting tough for these as well?
    I do wear the sh*t out of the Omega,it's been to the first base camp of everest with me and to tierra del fuego, jungles in India and Panama and it's been a great timepiece just bulky on the bike and it would get wrecked in a hurry in a crash.
    -Eric

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uncomfortable bragging? Don't brag then! Rolexes are like those Taiwanissimo frames -- marketing over substance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkboyrob View Post
    Uncomfortable bragging? Don't brag then! Rolexes are like those Taiwanissimo frames -- marketing over substance.
    Interesting comment. playbook?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dpcompt View Post
    I felt uncomfortable bragging about...
    Don C.
    wtf brag if you can't stand to do it? some think this thread was an excuse to brag. figger that?

one should only brag if it makes him feel better. there is no other purpose. but then not far from bragging is belittling (which is implied in bragging).

those to which one brags have never (nevah) once gone home and said (in a non-sarcastic tone),

"gee i'm so glad he bragged all about his shit, gosh i hope he brags some more next week."
    Last edited by WadePatton; 08-19-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, you said "chris craft"... i just thought that a vintage/historic tail-dragger would be the shiznit for flying the property lines of the ranch out west. low and slow...buzzing the barn and all.

ratatatatatatatatatt. reenact yo.

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Dude, ya lost me after Sopwith Camel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's funny how people in interest groups can knock some other group for buying some expensive item while spending a 400% price increase for a label that has nothing to do with an increase in quality or performance( i.e. Taiwanese frames relabeled as Italian masterpieces). Its true that cheap battery watches keep better time than any Rolex. But, like buying a Richard Sachs bike, the appreciation of the skill that was required to construct a product like a Sachs or a Rolex is something that I understand.
    I guess that I hit a nerve with a few, because I mentioned that I felt uncomfortable bragging about how much my watch cost with my cycling buddies. To me the Sachs should cost many times more than a Dogma. It takes so much more skill to make the Sachs. Today's Protour racers are riding 200-300 dollar Taiwanese bikes. Sorry, if I offended any Dogma owners.
    Don C.
    Wait, what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sharkboyrob View Post
    Very incorrect statement here, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion, WRONG as it may be.

There is something to be said for companies that have been making high quality stuff for over 100 years, that stand behind their work and are as fashionable today as they were 50-75 years ago.
    Not to say all the pattens that they hold and have had.
    But there again, that's just ATMO. Seeing as being a collector and watchmaker has been part of my life and how I have made my living, so I may not know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don C.
    +100 Very well said!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast