User Tag List

Page 17 of 48 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaulzetti Cicli

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gaulzetti Cicli

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    So it is your understanding that it is easier and more economical for Cannondale to make a Super six hi-mod than a Caad 10?
    On a unit by unit basis, I believe that to be true, yes.

To answer your question as directly as I can, carbon frames can be made more cheaply and in greater numbers because of the reasons Mr. Auk outlined above. Costs on carbon frame production are front-loaded - most of the cost is associated with tooling, molds, designs and some R&D and prototyping. Once this is established, the cost per frame is minimal and certainly requires less labor and time than building a metal frame. This is not commentary on the adequacy or inadequacy of carbon as a material, just a fact of the modern bicycle mass manufacturing processes. The point I tried to make in our Corsa piece is not to disparage carbon bicycles; it's to point out the reasons why carbon has eclipsed all other frame materials seen on the pro and elite amateur race scene, and to illustrate that this is nothing to do with any inherent performance characteristics of the material but rather due to economic factors. With Embrocation we're trying to bring Gaulzetti to a larger audience, some of whom may be predisposed to underestimate any high end race bicycle that is not made from carbon. So, we try to educate a bit is all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EmbroJames View Post
    On a unit by unit basis, I believe that to be true, yes.

To answer your question as directly as I can, carbon frames can be made more cheaply and in greater numbers because of the reasons Mr. Auk outlined above. Costs on carbon frame production are front-loaded - most of the cost is associated with tooling, molds, designs and some R&D and prototyping. Once this is established, the cost per frame is minimal and certainly requires less labor and time than building a metal frame. This is not commentary on the adequacy or inadequacy of carbon as a material, just a fact of the modern bicycle mass manufacturing processes. The point I tried to make in our Corsa piece is not to disparage carbon bicycles; it's to point out the reasons why carbon has eclipsed all other frame materials seen on the pro and elite amateur race scene, and to illustrate that this is nothing to do with any inherent performance characteristics of the material but rather due to economic factors. With Embrocation we're trying to bring Gaulzetti to a larger audience, some of whom may be predisposed to underestimate any high end race bicycle that is not made from carbon. So, we try to educate a bit is all.
    Interesting. This is very much news to me and I still question whether this is accurate. I would expect the margins on a CAAD 10 to be lower than a Super six Hi- Mod but the production costs to be lower for the CAAD 10. I also would have though a lot of labor went into the lay-up for high end carbon frames in terms of laying out the sheets of carbon in the mold and post-molding assembly and finishing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EDS View Post
    Interesting. This is very much news to me and I still question whether this is accurate. I would expect the margins on a CAAD 10 to be lower than a Super six Hi- Mod but the production costs to be lower for the CAAD 10. I also would have though a lot of labor went into the lay-up for high end carbon frames in terms of laying out the sheets of carbon in the mold and post-molding assembly and finishing.
    I can't speak directly to the Super Six vs the CAAD 10. I can speak to the possible economic advantages of producing what's essentially a molded carbon fiber part vs a fabricated metal part. There are a lot of opportunities for cost savings in the molded part, from integration of bosses and pre-finished interfaces to reducing "active" fabrication time. One can substantially reduce secondary operation costs if proper part design and manufacturing process are implemented. Laying up a part is not a difficult task for a trained worker. Like James said, the expenses for the molded part are front loaded in the form of molds. The first part produced is the most expensive. After that, process optimization begins and every second that can be saved in cycle time improves volume and potential revenue. The longer that mold lasts, the cheaper each subsequent part is. It's been shown in a number of other industries that the cost of molded thermoset (the type of resin used in this type of fiber reinforced part) and thermoplastic parts can be lower than fabricated parts if the economics support the up-front costs of the tooling and the life expectancy of the tooling (whether driven by obsolescence of the part or wearing out the tool).
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Composites is like arts and crafts, just a bunch of scissors and cloth and ovens and some plastic wrap. It is relatively simple compared to welding and machining.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The forks pictured are off Ridley Damocles framesets, which we had in abundance when we built these first two frames. Since then, we've received a large quantity of Enve Composites tapered forks, which are a bit lighter, have carbon dropouts and look a little nicer as well, in my opinion. All Corsa framesets come with the Enve Composites forks.

Also, we've just launched Gaulzetti on the Embrocation site as of this morning. We're being quiet about it until we smooth out some of the site features, but here it is: Embrocation Cycling Journal: Gaulzetti Corsa
    Thanks James.
    Good photos on the Embrocation site.

Now what's so special about the Hi Vis paint for it to be +$400? How Hi Vis is it? Does it glow in the dark?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We brought a set of our Hi Viz Gloves to the painter and said: "We want that." To their credit, they matched the color perfectly. It requires a coat of pearl white paint, then a custom toner to achieve the Hi-Viz color, then several layers of candy clear coat. Basically, it takes way more time and paint to do the Hi-Viz colors with any degree of quality.

It's funny... it doesn't actually glow in the dark, but in low light conditions it really, really pops.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We brought a set of our Hi Viz Gloves to the painter and said: "We want that." To their credit, they matched the color perfectly. It requires a coat of pearl white paint, then a custom toner to achieve the Hi-Viz color, then several layers of candy clear coat. Basically, it takes way more time and paint to do the Hi-Viz colors with any degree of quality.

It's funny... it doesn't actually glow in the dark, but in low light conditions it really, really pops.
    Thanks James. It is a great option btw. New Team bike colours? Imagine that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you willing to provide other colours? I'd really like a corsa in the future but would it be possible for me to supply the colour reference? I'd pick a single automotive colour as it would be far easier for me in the uk to get any remedial work done with a good match that way.

Thanks Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bertiewhang View Post
    Are you willing to provide other colours? I'd really like a corsa in the future but would it be possible for me to supply the colour reference? I'd pick a single automotive colour as it would be far easier for me in the uk to get any remedial work done with a good match that way.

Thanks Lee
    Hi Lee-
    Anything is possible. Our painters work with a variety of paints and can also custom mix anything. A solid color not currently offered would incur an up charge, as we would need to purchase more paint than needed for one frame, but should not add to the lead time. thanks for the interest!
    craig
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TDF is over. I live in the past and are one of "those cats" who look at bike labels the big boys ride and get a little misty seeing names like Colnago and Pinarello in bright lights.
    Who are some of the makers at TDF that thrill you?
    WTF are companies like BMC even allowed to put snake oil under the fannies of TDF superstars???? Don't say $$ we both know there are ways to make anything better and cover it with lipstick for the cameras.
    Where have all the flowers gone yo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i'll be honest. i was unsure of those colors, but when the bike its all built it, its the fucking bomb. more hi-viz in the future?

i like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig's bikes just look proper!

-g

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Aluminum. Stainless steel. Meh. I'm sure its great and all, but when are we going to see some offerings in bamboo or wood?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
    What are the chances that we will see an Inox with Corsa geometry?
    Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    pretty good if someone wants one...although i'd probably still recommend a corsa as an all around road bike.
    Can I turn this question around? Would you make a Corsa with Inox geometry. ie an aluminium frame with larger tyre clearance and more stable geometry.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Aluminum. Stainless steel. Meh. I'm sure its great and all, but when are we going to see some offerings in bamboo or wood?
    I went into the shop yesterday and Craig was covered in sawdust. Good things coming, I bet...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cs124 View Post
    Can I turn this question around? Would you make a Corsa with Inox geometry. ie an aluminium frame with larger tyre clearance and more stable geometry.
    we certainly have the capability. i think for the desired purpose, the stainless is a good way to go- but we'd have no problem fabricating a Corsa in our pave geometry. for all the time i've spent thinking about tubing, materials and diameters and butting profiles of my tubes- i think that putting the wheels in the right place is the biggest factor in making a bike ride the way you want it to- an aluminum corsa in pave geometry will ride more like an inox than it will a corsa in our road geometry.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please fit a new Cock to this guy .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by csbmo View Post
    please fit a new Cock to this guy .
    there is already enough cock in that picture.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With me being recently retired Navy...I'm not sure how to feel about that picture...I'm leaning towards abject shame though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

James or Craig,
    I have a fork from a build that fell through. Is it possible for a frame to be sold sans fork?