User Tag List

Page 151 of 353 FirstFirst ... 141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157158159160161 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 7042

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

I say go for it! Mine is super fun and so far all th tinkering has been fun and educational. Parts are cheap and readily available.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by htwoopup View Post
    Speaking of underpowered but could be fun, I saw this on my ride today...

IMG_2335 by Jon Mandel, on Flickr

A 68. They are asking 10,000 CAD which is 1500 CAD in 1968 dollars.

I didn't get a chance to talk to the mechanic about what has been done to the mechanicals but the interior is mint, like totally redone to original factory fresh.

And, I love what Joe did with his new old VW.

We get a lot of snow here but I remember the old ad (from before my time) of "did you ever wonder how the snow plow driver gets to the snow plow?".

I am thinking it could stay in storage for the bad months.

It totally messed up the rest of my ride because I couldn't get these thoughts out of my mind. Not as cool as an old Shelby but could be fun in a different kind of way...
    When I was a kid and we got a 3' snow storm my dad's bug was the first car to make it out of the neighborhood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this platform is now so old, and so eclipsed performance-wise, and yet still so goddamned sexy at dawn i don't think i'll ever get tired of it:

image1.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Moon light beetle.
    PA050310 by Joe, on Flickr
    PA050324 by Joe, on Flickr

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Leaning toward this to replace my Diesel X3

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Audi should consider a performance-minded and lower A4 wagon rather than the Outback-syled and higher Allroad.
    I know they need to sell vehicles to make it happen, yet I do believe buyers would grow to love the lower platform.

The typical buyer of an Audi Allroad isn't going rock scrambling. They want capacity, road performance, and AWD.
    The extra ground clearance? That is likely a factor .01% of the time. Marketplace would love an upgraded A4 wagon.
    My wife's been making noises about replacing our TSX wagon and Fit with an SUV. She (as usual) represents the .01% of whatever population she's in: She wants the extra ground clearance so she can traverse the snowbank our plow guys leave at the base of our parking pad. Yes, ground clearance for the first 15 feet of her journey, five to ten days each year. I've pointed this out to her to little avail...

Luckily, friends bought a Golf Alltrack. She thought it was great, and had the AWD and clearance she wants! But it's a bit noisy. And since we're talking about dropping from two cars to one, not really spiffy enough.

So this is looking good to both of us:

allroad.jpg

Hi there Lionel!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad the S4 or RS4 is not imported in the US. The all road is fine but fairly high with some body roll

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No S4 in the US though, only A4?

I thought the Audi A4 All-Road drove like a heavy car. Quiet definitely but sort of a sled. Quite a bit different from the S4 wagon my wife's brother-in-law had. Lionel hates Volvos (though he loves Harley Davidson so...,) but if your wife wants clearance and visibility, at least test drive a Volvo V60 Cross Country. When Volvo goes all hybrid and electric, I think that's the car we might consider trading in our V60 for. Or whatever the equivalent is at that point.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do not hate Volvo, I had an XC70, it was OK but a lot of body roll as well there. The 911 has spoiled me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lionel View Post
    I do not hate Volvo, I had an XC70, it was OK but a lot of body roll as well there. The 911 has spoiled me.
    Then only a Panamera will scratch your wagon itch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Then only a Panamera will scratch your wagon itch.
    Nah. I find the Panamera pretty huge and a 4 seater as well. Not super practical to throw dogs or a bike in the back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too bad the S4 or RS4 is not imported in the US. The all road is fine but fairly high with some body roll
    Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    ...but if your wife wants clearance and visibility, at least test drive a Volvo V60 Cross Country. When Volvo goes all hybrid and electric, I think that's the car we might consider trading in our V60 for. Or whatever the equivalent is at that point.
    Please understand, this is One Car to Rule Them All.

If it was just my car, I'd be looking at an A5 Sportback, or a 430ix Gran Coupe. A quick five-door sedan. And if it was just her car, she'd be driving a 10 year old Subaru Forester.

I'm pleased that she's interested in a wagon rather than an SUV.

This is a conversation that will probably go on for another year or so. And, yeah, that V60 is on the list. We're going to the car show together this year, a first!
    GO!

Eastern Vermont, White River Junction-Hanover, NH area
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why does Europe get all the cool cars?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    Why does Europe get all the cool cars?
    You can get an S4 or S5 here. You can probably even get an RS4 again in the future. But not an S4 or RS4 Avant.

So to answer your question: We don't get them because we don't buy them.

I own a wagon. How about you?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RS4 is only Avant

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw one of these parked near Barney's on 7th, in just about this condition. I'd have one if it came with a mechanic.

Last edited by j44ke; 10-18-2017 at 02:12 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jorn, those are war horses. What you talkin about fool????

That Volvo is Mrs. Too Tall's fantasy car. Someday I mean to surprise here with one. It might even have floorboards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My parents absolutely loved their Volvo 122S years ago.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

”...Leaning toward this to replace my Diesel X3...”
    Audi advised me the Allroad cannot be ordered with the heavy glass roof deleted.
    The S4 Avant would be the absolute bee’s knees and my bet is it likely can be obtained without holes cut in the roof.
    For those interested, the Audi Q7 can be obtained completely loaded...coupled with solid roof. Woo-hoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I'll bite on this thread. I've owned two (still own one) of the best driver's cars on the planet. NA Miata (96) and a 2010 335i coupe with the sports package (still own it--and you'll have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands). I'd buy another NA Miata right now and slap a turbo on it if I didn't have a 3 year old to cart around. Plus, I can get my Spectrum (not Too Tall's spectrum, that's building girder big) in the trunk with the wheels off. But, to be honest, the 335 (either the N54 or the N55) is everything the miata is but faster. And way more comfortable on long trips on the highway. However, that being said, the 335's natural habitat is a twisty back road with the hydraulic steering telling you where the bumps are and the turbos singing off in the distance. Pure magic. There's a reason the Car and Driver editors owned 335s.

You can get a good (but these days, higher mileage) E90/92 for a song. If you want the wagon, the 3 wagons are getting hard to find but excellent. There were only a few that came over with the sport package, though. The newer body style (F30) also comes in a wagon, and it's a good looking car.

I've driven an S4, and rode in an S7 and A8L, and wasn't terribly impressed. Yea, they're fast. But it's video game fast--you don't really feel it. It just, very cooly, calmly, gets faster. If I had an autobahn, maybe. But on a twisty back road? Nah. Give me something that dances a bit, and isn't afraid to let it's back tires out a little. I know the Conti 4000s are fast, but my Veloflex Corsas just feel soo goood, you know?

If you want that fun to drive, get the 240i, or go all in for an M - the M2 is the way to go.