Page 15 of 26 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Caroline Kennedy --- 2020

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Caroline Kennedy --- 2020

This is not about phones or illegal surveillance (which in all probability didn't happen and is just an attempted diversion from the real issues). It's about eTap and getting Americans on wireless, cable free road bikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tour de Trump you reckon? That only lasted two years.

I have no idea what actually happens in the White House, but it has the air of bad comedy when a president can use a social media platform before 6am in the morning to level serious accusations at his predecessor and taunt someone over a television show, while across the other side of the Pacific someone with bad hair orders 3 missiles to be lobbed in the direction of Japan. At least no one had a selfie with the nuclear football this time round.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by false_aesthetic View Post
    It's a possibility I hadn't considered.

Bernie is certainly a front runner but I think he's too old (he's 75 now). Warren is also a contender but she's made statements that sound like she's not interested. Down the line I'm digging Kamala Harris (great record, Supreme Court possibility, young, etc.).

Almost 2 years ago to the day.
    elysian
    Tom Tolhurst

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    It 's so cute you still think there will be in election in 2020.

If there is, Trump will win with 101% of the vote.
    (I'm sure some dead people will slip through to vote, darn voter fraud)
    I double down on the prediction. He even tweeted about the voter fraud in Texas yesterday. Just the tip of the iceberg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He even tweeted about the voter fraud in Texas yesterday. Just the tip of the iceberg.
    After years of hearing the chorus of ‘there is no real voter fraud’ in our country, we find out that 95,000 non-US citizens are registered to vote in Texas and 58,000 of them have actually voted in elections.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    After years of hearing the chorus of ‘there is no real voter fraud’ in our country, we find out that 95,000 non-US citizens are registered to vote in Texas and 58,000 of them have actually voted in elections.
    What we found out so far is that when looking at data over the last 22 years, there are 95K people who at one point were documented aliens and at another point registered to vote and that 58K of those people flagged actually cast at least one ballot. The Texas Secretary of State was clear in its advisory that this is not conclusive until the local voter registrars either give the flagged people notice to prove their citizenship, as is the law, or identify on their own that those individuals have naturalized and are legally entitled to vote as citizens. FWIW, over 50K people become naturalized in Texas each year, so mathematically speaking there's a good chance that some or many of the people flagged by the secretary of state are actually US citizens. I guess we'll find out how many in due time.

Texas officials flag tens of thousands of voters for citizenship checks | The Texas Tribune

Trump shares misleading statistics on voter fraud in Texas

Use of Non-U.S. Citizen Data obtained from the Department of Public Safety

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And your hope is that these 58,000 folks presented as non-US citizens the last time they got a drivers license but became citizens before they voted? At minimum doesn’t this speak to a system that’s is ripe for abuse? And by abuse I don’t mean individuals voting that shouldn’t be, I mean professional organizations that ‘help’ people vote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This is what voter fraud looks like in the US:

Why steal one vote when you can steal 800?

Why steal one vote when you can steal thousands?

Yes it's vitally important to insure the integrity of our election process. The Heritage Foundation is tracking 1177 proven instances of voter fraud, and 1019 criminal convictions, nationwide. I think their database goes back to 1979.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 01-28-2019 at 08:36 AM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    This is what voter fraud looks like in the US:

Yes it's vitally important to insure the integrity of our election process. The Heritage Foundation is tracking 1177 proven instances of voter fraud, and 1019 criminal convictions, nationwide. I think their database goes back to 1979.
    Amen brother. I voted on a ballot initiative that will attempt to put an end to the egregious gerrymandering that has taken place here for years.

Hopefully this ballot initiative, which passed quite strongly, will put an end to this terrible practice. Historically both parties have been guilty of this but in Michigan of late it's been the GOP, which routinely doesn't get a majority of overall votes in the state, but somehow seems to control everything. Hmmmm..... I wonder if it might have anything to do with districts that look like what Todd posted?
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

Can I assume that you base your views on sexual assault in our society only on instances that have been reported, tried, and resulted in a conviction?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I assume that you base your views on sexual assault in our society only on instances that have been reported, tried, and resulted in a conviction?
    It's fine to investigate potential vote fraud. I expect relative abuse is small.

But with current gerrymandering, you clearly have it subverting the will of the people.
    In Wisconsin, Democrats won popular vote 54% yet Republicans won 63/99 assembly seats. Pack and stack'em

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...tricting-maps/

This shows current breakdown by boundaries. You can toggle and select any number of choices for redistricting options.
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ting-maps/#GOP
    https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...ting-maps/#Dem

I tend to think we should draw districts to have as many competitive races as possible. In competitive districts, I think ideas will win and it may force the parties to promote more centrist candidates instead.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com...s/#Competitive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's fine to investigate potential vote fraud. I expect relative abuse is small.

But with current gerrymandering, you clearly have it subverting the will of the people.
    In Wisconsin, Democrats won popular vote 54% yet Republicans won 63/99 assembly seats.

I tend to think we should draw districts to have as many competitive races as possible. In competitive districts, I think ideas will win and it may force the parties to promote more centrist candidates instead
    That sounds horrible. I don’t know much on the topic. But isn’t the upside of redrawing these districts to group certain demographic groups to ensure they’re represented though they may not be in one pretty geographical location?

Sort of a hedge against tyranny of the majority?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That sounds horrible. I don’t know much on the topic. But isn’t the upside of redrawing these districts to group certain demographic groups to ensure they’re represented though they may not be in one pretty geographical location?

Gerrymandering has definitely resulted in a tyranny by the minority in many places and an odd parallel in the Electoral College has resulted in two recent presidents being elected even though they lost the popular vote, most recently by millions of votes.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- sabb for the new outer/inner celestial secy...
    new cabinet position...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And your hope is that these 58,000 folks presented as non-US citizens the last time they got a drivers license but became citizens before they voted? At minimum doesn’t this speak to a system that’s is ripe for abuse? And by abuse I don’t mean individuals voting that shouldn’t be, I mean professional organizations that ‘help’ people vote.
    No. My hope is that people stop making absolute claims based on as of yet unconfirmed data.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    No. My hope is that people stop making absolute claims based on as of yet unconfirmed data.

keep on hopin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    new cabinet position...
    If nominated I will not run. If elected I will not serve. ;-)
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Federal Court Rules Three Texas Congressional Districts Illegally Drawn : The Two-Way : NPR

It's about controlling outcomes.
    Missouri Voters Backed An Anti-Gerrymandering Measure; Lawmakers Want To Undo It : NPR
    I don't see the downside in wanting districts drawn to be as competitive as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    new cabinet position...
    he's got my vote!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd bet everyone would agree with that. But could you see any value redistricting two majority demographic districts into one majority district and one minority district to get the minority district better representation?