Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516171819202122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will challenge Trump? Who you like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who will challenge President Trump? Who you like?

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    The first piece of legislation she introduced was an official condemnation of the Boston Marathon bombing. Followed by an official commemoration for the victims. Any of your fellow massholes remember Boston Strong?
    I'd call that an expected and basic job function of any US Senator who had the misfortune of a terrorist attack in their state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    The country is already bankrupt. The current (and all past...) administrations just can't admit it. With the current administration, the bankruptcy deepens with military and border wall spending on top of tax cuts. A future administration will deepen the bankruptcy with other spending. Bottom line is we are all screwed when there is a reckoning/accounting for our country's finances.

Greg
    the last tax cut was simply irresponsible and failed to accomplish anything other than permitting companies to buy back stock and pay more dividends.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fastupslowdown View Post
    I don't agree with confiscating the wealth of billionaires. I think we need to distinguish too between A Mike Bloomberg who started with nothing left a job at Solomon risked it all to start a company that not only employs thousands but contributes greatly to our GDP. vs a Donald Trump who continuously gets bailed out and probably has subtracted from this countries net wealth when you consider all the people and businesses he's bankrupted over the years. Not just people who invested with him but contractors who never got paid.

I don't disagree that we have a student loan and health care problem. I think we just disagree on how to solve it or whether we can tackle it in one big swoop or that Bernie has the managerial experience to get any of it accomplished. -Mike G
    Billionaires: I suggest reading the article I linked for a constructive re-frame of the situation and rationale for structuring the economy such that it simply doesn't support their existence. I didn't realize the degree to which WWII caused dynastic wealth to be wrested from said dynasties and how essential it was to the war and rebuilding efforts; Capital in the 21st Century illuminates that reality and is otherwise worth reading. History and logic are clear; excessive concentration of wealth and power is bad news for an enduring society that's worthwhile for the masses. As far as I'm concerned that, if you'll pardon the expression, trumps billionaires desires.

Medicare for All:
    Learn from others.
    We don't have the time or money to make all of the mistakes ourselves.
    And Canada is just across the border.

I like to think that we have folks who are smart enough to figure out how to move to an Enhanced and Improved M4A (and other stuff) in a sensible way that doesn't wreck the economy. What a massive disappointment if a country as accomplished as ours can't figure it out. So much for "we're #1 ".
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't agree with confiscating the wealth of billionaires. I think we need to distinguish too between A Mike Bloomberg who started with nothing left a job at Solomon risked it all to start a company that not only employs thousands but contributes greatly to our GDP. vs a Donald Trump who continuously gets bailed out and probably has subtracted from this countries net wealth when you consider all the people and businesses he's bankrupted over the years. Not just people who invested with him but contractors who never got paid.

I don't disagree that we have a student loan and health care problem. I think we just disagree on how to solve it or whether we can tackle it in one big swoop or that Bernie has the managerial experience to get any of it accomplished. -Mike G
    Mike Bloomberg may have "built it all himself" but now buys off politicians and pays his way through any trouble. No one needs billions of dollars. No one deserves to act like that no matter how they came upon their wealth. No one that acts like that deserves to be in any sort of position to lead a country. He's no different than Trump.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so shit looks pretty bright then?
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    so shit looks pretty bright then?
    I gotta wear shades. Not the kind that filter light. The kind that block it. So I can't see the unfolding train wreck.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
    Mike Bloomberg buys off politicians and pays his way through any trouble. . He's no different than Trump.
    Sounds like a like of malarkey. How about listing some specific examples. He's nothing like Trump but suggest you list specifics

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like a like of malarkey. How about listing some specific examples. He's nothing like Trump but suggest you list specifics
    He literally started to say he bought people off to get Pelosi to stay as Speaker of the House before catching himself last night. I don't have specific examples of who he's paid off in Congress, but his attempt to buy the election (or just spending to stop Bernie) is troublesome. $300+ million spent so far and no end in sight. He's paying social media influencers to create cringy memes about him or text their friends. NDAs with women who've accused him of sexual misconduct. Seems like he's just a more wealthy Trump.

Instead of sitting by and enjoying life, he's using his billions to protect his billions and in turn prevent common people from enjoying life. Hell, even his business he created (Bloomberg Terminal) has absolutely nothing in common with the average American and only wealthy individuals can afford to use. The guy can rot on a log for all I care.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JJohnson View Post
    He literally started to say he bought people off to get Pelosi to stay as Speaker of the House before catching himself last night. I don't have specific examples of who he's paid off in Congress, but his attempt to buy the election (or just spending to stop Bernie) is troublesome. $300+ million spent so far and no end in sight. He's paying social media influencers to create cringy memes about him or text their friends. NDAs with women who've accused him of sexual misconduct. Seems like he's just a more wealthy Trump.

Instead of sitting by and enjoying life, he's using his billions to protect his billions and in turn prevent common people from enjoying life. Hell, even his business he created (Bloomberg Terminal) has absolutely nothing in common with the average American and only wealthy individuals can afford to use. The guy can rot on a log for all I care.
    You're literally ranting non-sense. He's leaving his money to charity and wants to have a positive impact on the world. Bill Gates is doing the same thing. Donating money to political campaigns is not illegal or unethical. But the way you said it in a pejorative manner. He supports Democratic candidates who support his climate and gun agenda. I see nothing wrong with it. You see corruption and say he's getting himself out of trouble but provide no specifics. I could not disagree more. Let's end this. I see nothing constructive in continuing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You're literally ranting non-sense. He's leaving his money to charity and wants to have a positive impact on the world. Bill Gates is doing the same thing. Donating money to political campaigns is not illegal or unethical. But the way you said it in a pejorative manner. He supports Democratic candidates who support his climate and gun agenda. I see nothing wrong with it. You see corruption and say he's getting himself out of trouble but provide no specifics. I could not disagree more. Let's end this. I see nothing constructive in continuing.
    He was raising money for Republican candidates for state offices as recently as 2012. That's the guy that should get the Democratic nomination for the Presidency?

And we do want a system where the guy with the most money wins the nomination? Especially the party that's ostensibly the one that represents the middle class and workers rights? He openly admitted to trying to buy elections last night in the debate. That's not a pejorative spin, that's his own words.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    He was raising money for Republican candidates for state offices as recently as 2012. That's the guy that should get the Democratic nomination for the Presidency?

And we do want a system where the guy with the most money wins the nomination? Especially the party that's ostensibly the one that represents the middle class and workers rights? He openly admitted to trying to buy elections last night in the debate. That's not a pejorative spin, that's his own words.
    Bloomberg is more Democrat than Republican and today he has nothing in common with the Democratic party. I'd like to see more of this. If a candidate from the other party is good he should be supported. Bloomberg is issue based. He's pro business, against guns and pro environment. Don't confuse a gaffe with reality.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd feel better about American politics if it was the norm for the presidential incumbent to face a primary challenge. Not just this presidential incumbent, every presidential incumbent. A lot happens in four years--despite the desires of certain Senate leaders--and our voting public would be better served by more opportunities to debate issues.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I'd feel better about American politics if it was the norm for the presidential incumbent to face a primary challenge. Not just this presidential incumbent, every presidential incumbent. A lot happens in four years--despite the desires of certain Senate leaders--and our voting public would be better served by more opportunities to debate issues.
    I'm not sure I understand. Trump shut down primary challenges. Many Republican states will not be having them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

re: b-naires

"[H]ow can you have equality of opportunity when you hand somebody billions of dollars just because they came out of the right womb?"

Buffett is not the only prominent person who feels this way. Peter Munk, the chairman of Barrick Gold, has prepared his children for the fact that they will not be receiving very much of his $300-million fortune when dies. When Bill & Melinda Gates were doing their estate planning, they contacted Buffett for advice. Their three children will each be receiving approximately $10-million dollars of the Microsoft fortune. More money than you or I will likely see in our lifetime, but not much when you consider that their parents (or at least Dad) is worth close to $56 billion."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To run a candidate from the same party would be seen as a sign of weakness by the party. Unless the current President is terminally ill or in a coma, you run the incumbent unopposed. In 92, there was talk of replacing Dan Quayle on the ticket, same thing, it says you don't have faith in your guy. There are so many variables in elections, so many "what ifs". If Hillary had worked harder and been better organized in 2008, would Obama be the current incumbent, would he even be in the spotlight?
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bloomberg is more Democrat than Republican and today he has nothing in common with the Democratic party. I'd like to see more of this. If a candidate from the other party is good he should be supported. Bloomberg is issue based. He's pro business, against guns and pro environment. Don't confuse a gaffe with reality.
    Reality is as recently as 2012 he was raising money for Scott Brown to defeat Elizabeth Warren in the Massachusetts Senate race.

His work on gun violence and the environment is commendable, but in a party increasingly diverse, a white billionaire who expanded stop and frisk in New York City ain't exactly the guy to trot out for this era and the needs that it has.

He didn't step too much on his own dick last night, but the grading on a curve he's getting is pretty incredible. Both Castro and Harris were far stronger debaters, and neither are around right now. Never mind the thought of two petty New Yorkers shitting on each other for four months before an election is the last thing I want to see.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    it says you don't have faith in your guy.
    Yeah, I get that. It's also convenient, tends to turn opportunities for clear-headed performance evaluation into rah rah rah, and leads to lazy establishment BS. It serves the parties much better than it serves the voters.

I do realize I'm ignoring the reality of American politics. But the OP's question makes me wish somebody was challenging him, right now. Not just because it's him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure I understand. Trump shut down primary challenges. Many Republican states will not be having them.
    Can't tell for sure if your reply is sarcasm ... but a healthy system would tell the incumbent that he (it's always a he, isn't it?) does not have the power to shut down primaries.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can't tell for sure if your reply is sarcasm ... but a healthy system would tell the incumbent that he (it's always a he, isn't it?) does not have the power to shut down primaries.
    I believe that the state parties shut down the primaries, not the incumbent president. I recall that several states cancelled their Democratic primaries in 2012 when Obama was the incumbent. I sincerely wish there were more Republican candidates (and primaries) in this election cycle.

Greg