-Rick
    Friends don't let friends ride clinchers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Gaulzetti Cicli

the corsa wasn't designed to take 700x27 tires. the early bikes had slightly shorter stays and depending on the size of the bike- a 700x27 tire'd hit the front derailleur clamp. most of the embro team guys got around this through using a parlee fder clamp.

i think there are very few instances where a road bike needs more than a 700x25mm tire- and for those rare instances we've got a great option with the new inox model.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, odd. Using the standard SRAM clamp, in my case the Rival FD. Even used 28c conti clinchers a few times, but they don't really spec out at a true 28mm. Mine was a spring 2010 build (basically this exact month), so maybe that run got a smidge more breathing room. When I talked with Justin at the time of ordering it, I asked if the 27's would be an issue and he said no, but that, as Craig just stated, the early Embro team bikes wouldn't take bigger than a 24 due to shorter chainstays, but that they had since changed the length slightly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding geo changes between the Corsa and the Inox, how do large tires (28s) change the handling of a race bike, compared to 22s?
    I'd guess 28s slightly raise the center of gravity (unless you drop the bb & headtube a little)...

What more is there, than just creating more space under the crown/brake bridges/chainstay lengths?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mocked up the Corsa without a FD clamp on and a 27mm Pave on and it appears a Parlee FD clamp will do the trick. Just ordered one and will report back after installing it. If nothing else I just lost 12 grams off the bike LOL

Thanks for the heads up Craig on the Parlee FD.

Mine is a Embro model and the Paves should look kicking on it......................too bad I don't

-Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    the corsa wasn't designed to take 700x27 tires. the early bikes had slightly shorter stays and depending on the size of the bike- a 700x27 tire'd hit the front derailleur clamp. most of the embro team guys got around this through using a parlee fder clamp.
    Just another data point: I have one of the early Team Embro bikes (size 58). A 25 rubbed ever-so-slightly against a Shimano clamp, fits fine with the Parlee clamp. Challenge 27s have no chance even with the Parlee clamp. But I have other bikes for those wheels.

Are we allowed to speculate on who is welding the stainless Inox (Inoxes? Inoxen?)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig,

I have a fairly recent model and clearance at the chainstays is generous but for me the limiting factor is the rear brake bridge. I can run 24c Vittoria Paves and 23c Corsas fine, but much larger would not be possible. I am wondering if there is any reason to place this limitation since there is plenty of room for the brake pads to go down in the slots on regular short reach brakes?
    -Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmoote View Post
    Craig,

I have a fairly recent model and clearance at the chainstays is generous but for me the limiting factor is the rear brake bridge. I can run 24c Vittoria Paves and 23c Corsas fine, but much larger would not be possible. I am wondering if there is any reason to place this limitation since there is plenty of room for the brake pads to go down in the slots on regular short reach brakes?
    hi jeff- the simple answer is that the brake bridge was placed to campy and shimano spec's. this puts the pad in the middle of the brake where they work best given the 23/24 mm tires that the thing is designed around.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE
    I purchased the Parlee FD clamp and tried the 27mm Pave's and they fit with 1.5 - 2mm to spare which is good enough for me
    Gonna try my 25mm Dugasts PR's now
    Gaulzetti is going to Ballers, Colnago is staying home.

-Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

treadonme-

the inox should handle a little bit more stable than a corsa. it will probably lose a tiny bit of twitchiness and nimbleness although i do think it will still go where you point it and should be even more planted. i still believe for 90% of surfaces a race bike will encounter a corsa is a better option. for example, a corsa would be a better choice for me at a course like flanders but an inox'd be better suited to roubaix.

i did lower the bb ever so slightly to account for bigger tires- the fork also has more rake, slightly more clearance and the stays are longer with a higher brake bridge.

thanks!
    craig
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Craig,
    How many different fork rakes do you use across your size range?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by suspectdevice View Post
    Craig,
    How many different fork rakes do you use across your size range?
    one. unless i'm building for a special purpose. i don't build around a trail number- i build around front center, wheelbase, and weight balance. i don't believe that with similar sized wheels and the range of wheelbases that encompass my stock sizes that altering fork rakes does anything except alter the ride of the bike. to me, there is a reason bikes like de rosas, pinarellos, and colnagos ride like de rosas, pinarellos and colnagos across the size ranges...and alot of that comes from working within a fairly narrow range of measurements that i know work.

the inox uses more rake- the corsas use less rake.

i personally have never liked the ride of any bike from any manufacturer who used different rakes on different sized bikes and i've also found that builders who build around an arbitrary "trail" number make for inconsistent geometries that ride differently across the size runs and handle differently at the limit. rider weight and where you put him or her between the wheels is the biggest factor- it's not a motorcycle- but it kinda sorta is- a motorcycle comes in one size- to a certain extent, i have 28 sizes that are all using the same size wheels and i have to make them as close to the same "size" in terms of geometry as i can- this means the trail measurements will be all over the place- setback and headangles will vary- stay length and front center will vary a bit too- but at the end of the day i like the way my bikes ride and people across the size run seem to describe the handling traits in the same language- which is a good.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

update: while we are certainly going to continue utilizing the great fabrication skills of Alchemy Bicycle Works in Austin Texas, Gaulzetti Cicli has added considerable production capability a bit closer to home and with dedicated tooling and facilities for production. Check it out!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when do you plan to have an updated website with your models, prices, etc?
    thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pricing is up and current on gaulzetticicli.com for the corsa. the inox pricing will be up as soon as we have some pictures up of the thing.

thanks!
    craig
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm totally stoked on your new Boston capacity. Those guys are far, far beyond competent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are the chances that we will see an Inox with Corsa geometry?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TRuss View Post
    What are the chances that we will see an Inox with Corsa geometry?
    pretty good if someone wants one...although i'd probably still recommend a corsa as an all around road bike.
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is Gaulzetti Cicli - The Racing Bicycle, Reborn the best place to watch for info on potential future models (the magnesium idea is intriguing)?
    Is there still a Di2 cable routing option available on Corsas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no prob running pave 27's or challenge PR tubies 27+ on my corsa
    56square
    alpha fork