User Tag List

Page 129 of 352 FirstFirst ... 119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137138139 ... LastLast
Results 2,561 to 2,580 of 7038

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS View Post
    It's posh for a truck (IMO) but still only about mid-level in Ford's lineup.
    I'd love to see a trim level that's work first. Modern dynamics, performance, and safety with an interior for muddy boots. I've no interest in a McMansion translated to a truck.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can get XL or XLT trim in F-150 or Super Duty with rubber flooring instead of carpet and vinyl seats. Basically you could hose it out. Can still get all the engine/trans choices and stability control stuff. (I'm sure it'd be a special order - dealer lots seem to only carry the $$$ ones. - I had to go out of state to get mine that didn't have freaking laser beams and artisanal tanned leather) If I only needed my truck for work that's what I'd get. But for road trips with the boys a few options and amenities makes the miles pass easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My last truck was a 2012 Tacoma with manual locks, manual doors, 4cyl 4x4 regular cab. the plan was to buy it and keep it forever.
    But those manual windows, locks and regular cab got old. No room for anything behind the seats was a real pain.

I like having power windows, bluetooth and keyless entry in the Jeep!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    My last truck was a 2012 Tacoma with manual locks, manual doors, 4cyl 4x4 regular cab. the plan was to buy it and keep it forever.
    But those manual windows, locks and regular cab got old. No room for anything behind the seats was a real pain.

I like having power windows, bluetooth and keyless entry in the Jeep!

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After way too much googling and internal strife I ended up getting traditional snow tires. If i didn't have to commute 18 miles down a winding icy canyon that literally kills people every year I would have just us the BFGs that were on there.

But a set of big ol' blizzaks are on there for the winter.
    IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg

Sure it was 80°F in Boulder today, but we supposed to get 5" of snow tomorrow.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    After way too much googling and internal strife I ended up getting traditional snow tires. If i didn't have to commute 18 miles down a winding icy canyon that literally kills people every year I would have just us the BFGs that were on there.

But a set of big ol' blizzaks are on there for the winter.
    IMG_3536.jpg
    IMG_3537.jpg

Sure it was 80°F in Boulder today, but we supposed to get 5" of snow tomorrow.

-Joe
    I don't think you'll be sorry. Everyone in my family whom I have convinced to get winter tires has raved about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I roll studded snows on my XJ Cherokee. Snow and salt on our dirt roads turns into ice. They rule. I rarely need to use 4 wheel drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to go with a studded duratrac since they have the snow flake symbol. I thought they would be a good compromise between packed snow and deep snow. But the more I read, they don't have the stopping performance of traditional snow tires. Stoping is more important so I went with the Blizzaks.

First time without studs in 4 winters. All the reviews and even study from the state of Washington says studless are just as good if not better. We'll see.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I used to live in Washington during the winter Blizzaks were on all my cars. Wonderful tires on snow and ice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ pretty sure Dad put Blizzaks on the quattro when we were in ski patrol together. Except for one winter when he spent a lot (according to him) on Michelins with something like ground up walnut shells in the tread. Those were fine until he waited too long to remove them.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And my timing was spot on. 6" of snow on the way home. Still going strong.

IMG_3544.jpg
    IMG_3548.JPG

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    My TDI docs have been submitted for approval.
    Plan is still probably the Alltrack with stick, but mine eyes have been wandering to the BMW 2-series in AWD. Problem is that AWD = auto transmission. Would that still be fun?
    The only automatic my wife or I have ever owned has been the minivan.
    No fun at all ... I opted for a Golf R, manual transmission and AWD. No regrets. Seriously considered 2 series but to impractical. I'd much rather a Mini Cooper jcw then a BMW 2XX.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Golf R with winter wheels and michelin Pilot Alpin winter tires. Loads of grip.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We drove the AllTrack. Felt like a new car - everything tight and no rattles, etc. Compared to the 2002 Golf we have, they've thickened the doors and gunwales (is that the right word - running boards?) so that getting out of the car is a leg swing away and down, rather than just out and down. Front seat for the passenger is the same for all trims, but the driver gets a nice seat (electronic adjust plus lumbar etc.) in the SEL trim. For me, long lanky legs with bony body and knees, this alone is worth the price of the SEL trim. In fact, I wouldn't get the car without that seat. It drove like a Golf, but it did have a bit of SUV roll to it. Nice car. I don't think I want one though.

We also drove the GTI Autobahn. That's a nice car. Front driver's seat is better than the AllTrack. Great steering wheel. Nice wrapped feeling, though I think the interior is smaller in terms of cubic feet than our 2002. I sort of felt like I needed a bit more elbow room and a place to put my right knee.

Both cars were automatic. By the end of the GTI's test drive, I was asking about manual shift options. The automatic was very good, much better than I remember, but I still felt like I was driving a rental car with noticeable lag and surge, though like I said, less than any car I've driven. So good automatic, not great, can I drive a stick model to compare.

Then we drove a Volvo V60 Platinum. Not a flashy car, not the same number of crazy bells and whistles in the VW (most of which I would endeavor to turn off) but it drives like a champ - like a grown up car should drive - power steering was great and the automatic didn't make me wonder what a manual would be like - very smooth, no real lag and surge, quick in traffic, etc. And for me, the seat position is great. High seat, thighs horizontal, knee in place not rubbing on the center console, firm comfortable upholstery that was very stable. I didn't have to grip the steering wheel to keep myself in position as the car went through bumpy stuff - the seat did that.

Now the problem. I like the V60. My wife hates it. Nearly made her cry. Station wagons are for suburbanites who have given up on life and had their genitalia removed and placed in formaldehyde. Volvos are boring and boxy and a sign of impending death.

She likes the GTI. I would like it, if it had the same front seat as the Volvo V60. I am getting tired of driving somewhere and getting out of the car feeling like I just got kneecapped by a guy with a baseball bat. The GTI is great, drives well, might need a manual shift, well above average seats and upholstery, but I don't know where to put my knee. Stretch out and the steering wheel is a bit too far away. Bring the seat in and my knee is pointed out and resting on the center console.

We went by the BMW dealership and no one gave us the time of day. Okay, we did not have an appointment, but we walked out without having been given the option to make an appointment or have any sales manager step forward and offer help at a later time/day. Not great. Pretty sure we won't go back to that dealership.

Blah. F#%king cars.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

now that i dont have a [driving] commute anymore and take the train, i feel an enormous liberation from the car culture. i've got a $3000 jeep with an inline-6 that just keeps going. today i popped the check engine light. quick code read later told me it was a minor vacuum leak. found a small vacuum line with a big crack in it (probably from the temp change to colder temps overnight...) and put some gorilla duct tape on it. CEL out. keep on jeepin'

the thought of spending 20, 30, 40 or 50 thousand dollars on a vehicle is absolutely laughable to me these days.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    now that i dont have a [driving] commute anymore and take the train, i feel an enormous liberation from the car culture. i've got a $3000 jeep with an inline-6 that just keeps going. today i popped the check engine light. quick code read later told me it was a minor vacuum leak. found a small vacuum line with a big crack in it (probably from the temp change to colder temps overnight...) and put some gorilla duct tape on it. CEL out. keep on jeepin'

the thought of spending 20, 30, 40 or 50 thousand dollars on a vehicle is absolutely laughable to me these days.
    On the flip side, this morning I bought a new blower motor and blower motor resistor for my Jeep Cherokee, which was a $4000 car 9 years and 175,000 miles ago. Went to put them in and the hood wouldn't open. I know I can get in through the headlight buckets but it takes some time and I wasn't going to have time to do that before my 3 pm client meeting. And the next week is going to be ass cold. Color my mood grumpy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TACSTS View Post
    Everyone needs a truck. Just got this to replace my 2011 F150 supercab mainly for hauling long-legged kids around. The back seat legroom is limo-like even behind my seat at 6'3". It's posh for a truck (IMO) but still only about mid-level in Ford's lineup. I can't wrap my brain around some of the 65-70k trucks out there. I love it. Perfect stablemate for my WRX daily driver. Attachment 98036
    I use to have one as a company vehicle. Love that truck especially since my gas was free.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the thing that's surprised me the most - I get 18-19mpg around town and got 23 last summer on an interstate road trip running 70-75mph. For a cab full of kiddos and the bed with strollers, high chairs, etc I was very happy. Mechanically this new one is the same and about 450lbs lighter so I'm hoping it might be even a bit better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=j44ke;816618]

She likes the GTI. I would like it, if it had the same front seat as the Volvo V60. I am getting tired of driving somewhere and getting out of the car feeling like I just got kneecapped by a guy with a baseball bat. The GTI is great, drives well, might need a manual shift, well above average seats and upholstery, but I don't know where to put my knee. Stretch out and the steering wheel is a bit too far away. Bring the seat in and my knee is pointed out and resting on the center console.

QUOTE]

Jorn, I bought a manual golf R to replace my Passat tdi, which VW will buy back someday. The steering wheel has more adjustability fore/aft than any car I've ever seen. In a GTI I bet you could move the seat back to where your legs are comfortable and then adjust the wheel towards you and get it in the correct place.

There are also a couple of relatively simple and cost effective changes you can make to dramatically improve the shifting if you decide to buy a manual gti.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
    Jorn, I bought a manual golf R to replace my Passat tdi, which VW will buy back someday. The steering wheel has more adjustability fore/aft than any car I've ever seen. In a GTI I bet you could move the seat back to where your legs are comfortable and then adjust the wheel towards you and get it in the correct place.

There are also a couple of relatively simple and cost effective changes you can make to dramatically improve the shifting if you decide to buy a manual gti.
    My GTI is nearly 11 years old and getting tired. I won't be making any changes, but I'm curious what changes are available. I've been manually shifting my whole life and honestly, I'm over it, especially in urban traffic.

The GTI is a nearly perfect automobile, but I'm ready for a change. My bank balance is not, however. So the GTI will soldier on.