User Tag List

Page 127 of 353 FirstFirst ... 117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131132133134135136137 ... LastLast
Results 2,521 to 2,540 of 7059

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Caleb, if you do pull the trigger on the R, let me know. Can't help you with the wheels/tires (but I'm fairly certain it fits 17s - and TireRack confirms this), but still have many spares that need a home.
    Thanks for the offer, but I don't see an upgrade in the near future. I should really just suck it up and buy a new Tacoma, but I'm cheap. Maybe if they bring the small diesel to the US.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm digging on that new Golf R. It seems like a good evolution of the Sportwagen, and would fit my purposes pretty well (dog, gear, forest roads).

Does anyone know if the new Golf R has skid plates? The current Sportwagen is really low, and even a couple inches higher an oil pan skid would be some good peace of mind.
    The Golf R does not have skid plates. It's about 0.5" lower than the GTI so ground clearance is not great. Probably less ground clearance than your Sportwagen. In my opinion, I would keep the Golf R on Tarmac.

It seems more gentlemen track day than rally car to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah, golfR is not what you want.

you describing a truck.

a truck would be cheaper than a golfR.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he is looking at the alltrack not the R, but I could be wrong.

Any thoughts on the new atlas? If it has a 5k tow rating it might be worth waiting for as the new pilots are very boring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what have I done?

a minor rework of the inner fender to prevent rubbing has turned into making sure that I can go full bump without the tire rubbing.

Trimmed by HellaFab Fabrication, on Flickr

have to section the door up to the weather seal LOL.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    I'm digging on that new Golf R. It seems like a good evolution of the Sportwagen, and would fit my purposes pretty well (dog, gear, forest roads).

The body armor is smart. I have a couple paint pens next to me for use in covering up the scrapes in the rocker panels of my Sportwagen when I have it up on stands to get the snow tires on this weekend.

Does anyone know if the new Golf R has skid plates? The current Sportwagen is really low, and even a couple inches higher an oil pan skid would be some good peace of mind.

My one beef is those 18" wheels are idiotic if you're actually going to start driving on forest roads. They'd be toast in six months, if that. Even with 16" wheels on my Sportwagen, I've trashed three. There isn't enough sidewall to absorb the rocks and holes, and the rims dent.

Any ideas on what they should be replaced with? I'm thinking of some VW steelies, since then at least my tire guy can press the dents out and put them back into service.
    The Golf R is the rocket scoot hatchback Golf. GTI Plus Plus.

The All Track is the fancy Sportwagen with 4Motion all-wheel drive (which means the all-wheel isn't on all the time, only when the wheels slip.) There is a skid plate, but it seems more cosmetic than anything. I haven't been impressed by OEM skid plates in general. They tend to get deformed on parking structures and then plow snow up into the engine compartment. Just plastic pieces of crap. However, there are plenty of aftermarket manufacturers who make them - real ones out of steel that bolt on - and undoubtedly there will be some made for this car. I still think on a passenger car with relatively limited clearance, skid plates can be kind of a two-edged sword. Nice to have, but if they aren't in good condition, they can create problems.

BTW, there will also be a Sportwagen 4Motion. That won't have all the pseudo off-road looking trim. Just a Sportwagen with 4Motion, and only available in the "S" trim and at some point, with manual transmission.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hellafab View Post
    what have I done?

a minor rework of the inner fender to prevent rubbing has turned into making sure that I can go full bump without the tire rubbing.

Trimmed by HellaFab Fabrication, on Flickr

have to section the door up to the weather seal LOL.
    You are either brave or crazy or both. But keep going and show us the photos.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

both.

I could have just raised the suspension 1/2" and it wouldn't have rubbed. the car has adjustable coilovers..... but wheres the fun in that?
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the best for skid plates, short throw shift kits, and other fun stuff for the VW. I had the short throw shift kit on my 2011 Golf TDi, great instructions on how to and incredible workmanship.
    Frank Beshears

The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must admit that I like the resurgence of hatchbacks. My first car was the '5 door' Integra and that thing was great.

This one looks really nice:

2018-audi-a5-s5-sportback-inline2-photo-670867-s-original.jpg
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    I must admit that I like the resurgence of hatchbacks. My first car was the '5 door' Integra and that thing was great.

This one looks really nice:

2018-audi-a5-s5-sportback-inline2-photo-670867-s-original.jpg
    Probably equal to the cost of your kitchen/house remodel project. I'm over expensive cars unless I win the lottery. Give me a Mazda CX5 or maybe the upcoming Civic hatchback. Or, you could sell me your Acura wagon when you buy the Audi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    One of the best for skid plates, short throw shift kits, and other fun stuff for the VW. I had the short throw shift kit on my 2011 Golf TDi, great instructions on how to and incredible workmanship.
    Geez, those photos gave me the cold sweats. I whacked a couple rocks last weekend. Sure sounded bad. Got out and crawled as far underneath as a dared with a hot engine on a dirt road and didn't see anything. Checked the asphalt later while parked. Dipstick. Everything seemed okay. I really would rather have an engine in the car than a metal brick.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just picked up a 6 speed Golf R at invoice. The car is wonderful. It feels much more capable than my 1999 Carrera, or my EVO VII.

I have loaned my Passat TDI to my son until VW buys it back.

I also have gotten my 2004 F150 back up to snuff. It's what I take on forest roads. It is one of the best and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    Probably equal to the cost of your kitchen/house remodel project. I'm over expensive cars unless I win the lottery. Give me a Mazda CX5 or maybe the upcoming Civic hatchback. Or, you could sell me your Acura wagon when you buy the Audi.

Even as a car guy, I totally get this.

The cheap cars these days seem to last quite a long time. Sure the fit and finish as well as the general ride quality isn't as good, but that's why you have a nice weekend car (if your into that).
    There is no respect for others stuff, my new GTI was full of dings and scrapes from parking lots to the point the car would have needed a paint job within the terms of my lease. The nice daily car is a waste, especially in Canada with the road salt that will eat your $100k vehicle just as fast as the $18k econobox.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not even close Scott.

There are definitely some lovely reasonably-priced cars out there. The Mazda 3 and the GTI jump to mind. And the Civic hatchback looks like a nice one too.

So tell me, are you going to go back through this thread and make the same comment to everyone who mentioned a car that costs more than you think is reasonable? And what, you don't want my Fit?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Not even close Scott.

There are definitely some lovely reasonably-priced cars out there. The Mazda 3 and the GTI jump to mind. And the Civic hatchback looks like a nice one too.

So tell me, are you going to go back through this thread and make the same comment to everyone who mentioned a car that costs more than you think is reasonable? And what, you don't want my Fit?
    Geesh, so sensitive. My point was that the (R?)S7 you pictured is a $80 - $120k car. Beautiful and amazing to drive no doubt, but having just spent in the same range for a complete kitchen and family room remodel myself and with two young kids, I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a rapidly depreciating purchase like an automobile. I've been thinking about a new car recently (currently a one car household) which is why your post prompted a reply. I wasn't aiming at you in particular and yes, I'd say the same about any of the very nice $50k+ automobiles mentioned in previous posts. Give me reliable, low cost of ownership. I'd definitely sign up for a Mazda 3 or GTI but at 6'1", most of the compact hatchbacks (even the CX5 and Civic) don't leave much room for the kids behind me. That's why I want your TSX wagon :) or my 1995 Audi S6 back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We discovered that car dealerships in Manhattan are closed on Sunday. At least the ones we wanted to visit. Closed on Sunday? And their hours during the week are basically 10-6. So I guess people take the day off work to buy a car? That's not going to happen with my wife. It was hard enough to schedule a Sunday when she wasn't flying to or from somewhere. She can't be the only one. I guess we'll have to go to NJ or out on LI to buy a car, but I can't think of a worse way to get in the mood to buy a car than driving out to NJ or LI through the inevitable bumper-to-bumper insanity.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Geesh, so sensitive. My point was that the (R?)S7 you pictured is a $80 - $120k car. Beautiful and amazing to drive no doubt, but having just spent in the same range for a complete kitchen and family room remodel myself and with two young kids, I can't imagine spending that kind of money on a rapidly depreciating purchase like an automobile. I've been thinking about a new car recently (currently a one car household) which is why your post prompted a reply. I wasn't aiming at you in particular and yes, I'd say the same about any of the very nice $50k+ automobiles mentioned in previous posts. Give me reliable, low cost of ownership. I'd definitely sign up for a Mazda 3 or GTI but at 6'1", most of the compact hatchbacks (even the CX5 and Civic) don't leave much room for the kids behind me. That's why I want your TSX wagon :) or my 1995 Audi S6 back.
    Car-cost wise, I'm in a similar mindset now. My wife has a nice SUV that fits everyone + visitors. My 3-series wagon won't fit 3 kids in back, at least not when you factor in a carseat or two. Do I want another $50K SUV or wagon (that would still not fit 3 comfortably)? Not really ... I just need a car/wagon that comfortably fits 3 in the back. Although, the "M" word has been tossed around a few times. Not as in "M-Series". M as in Minivan.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    Car-cost wise, I'm in a similar mindset now. My wife has a nice SUV that fits everyone + visitors. My 3-series wagon won't fit 3 kids in back, at least not when you factor in a carseat or two. Do I want another $50K SUV or wagon (that would still not fit 3 comfortably)? Not really ... I just need a car/wagon that comfortably fits 3 in the back. Although, the "M" word has been tossed around a few times. Not as in "M-Series". M as in Minivan.
    Minivans are pretty sweet these days. You should get one. And there's the added bonus of us not needing to rent one for our next road trip.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    We discovered that car dealerships in Manhattan are closed on Sunday. At least the ones we wanted to visit. Closed on Sunday? And their hours during the week are basically 10-6. So I guess people take the day off work to buy a car? That's not going to happen with my wife. It was hard enough to schedule a Sunday when she wasn't flying to or from somewhere. She can't be the only one. I guess we'll have to go to NJ or out on LI to buy a car, but I can't think of a worse way to get in the mood to buy a car than driving out to NJ or LI through the inevitable bumper-to-bumper insanity.
    Not sure what car you want but we had good luck with Smith Cairns Subaru - Yonkers and great luck with Town Subaru when we lived in Manhattan and my wife worked in Riverdale (she drove the car 95% of the time to and from work). Town is also an Audi and Porsche dealership if that is your thing. It was funny that most of their customers had a really nice Porsche and/or Audi and then a Subaru as a second or third car. We were only Subaru customers.