Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 121 of 353 FirstFirst ... 111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126127128129130131 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,420 of 7057

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    I bet you could get into a Honda Fit for that. Little, but nifty.

A lot of the cars I really like that might fit your criteria, like the Jeep Cherokee that I drive now or the 1993-95 Toyota Corolla wagon, are just getting so darn old it's hard to recommend one to somebody who isn't going to be their own mechanic.
    Yeah, the overlap of "cool" and reliable at my price point is pretty slim.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mazda 2.

Best driving non sporty small hatchback. Not as roomy as a honda fit to carry bicycle but ride way better. Mazda wheel/road feel is unmatched in those kind of cars. I have one since 2010. I tried all kind of brands available in europe, all had a dull feeling with an overassisted power steering. Mazda just found that best middle ground between comfort and driving feel.

Our family expanded to four of us and even with 2 kids I have no intent to sell it for a bigger car. I just use a roof case and bike carrier when I'm driving to holidays. I often find those people spending huge amount of money on SUVs or wagons that will stay empty 99.99% of their lifetime a bit silly when you can buy a smaller car and a roof case for that 10h trip 3 times a year.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Yeah, the overlap of "cool" and reliable at my price point is pretty slim.
    For me, buying a used car has almost always been about figuring out how much I have to spend and then finding the right individual car that seems best for the dollars -- condition, history, good vibe from the seller. Less about picking a make and model and shopping for it. But my last car purchase was the other way around. I decided I wanted a low mileage Jeep Cherokee with a 5-speed and I haunted Craigslist and eBay until one turned up. It's been the best car I ever owned, although I don't think it meets your criteria.

My point being, sometimes you just have to go look at a lot of cars.

As I head into year 10 of owning the Jeep, and have to spend more and more time fighting rust, I'm thinking about the next car myself. Being rural and doing a lot of backcountry skiing, it's going to be hard to give up four wheel drive now that I've become accustomed to it. I used to do just fine with front wheel drive cars but it's awfully nice putting a shovel (and a comealong) in the back and knowing even if I get stuck, I'm probably getting out.

That said, the Fit's on the short list. How's the back seat room? Kids are tall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wife wants a "cheap" Jeep to get around town on the weekends ... Hope she thinks $20K is cheap. Geesh - how do these things hold their resale value so well?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For me, buying a used car has almost always been about figuring out how much I have to spend and then finding the right individual car that seems best for the dollars -- condition, history, good vibe from the seller. Less about picking a make and model and shopping for it. But my last car purchase was the other way around. I decided I wanted a low mileage Jeep Cherokee with a 5-speed and I haunted Craigslist and eBay until one turned up. It's been the best car I ever owned, although I don't think it meets your criteria.

As I head into year 10 of owning the Jeep, and have to spend more and more time fighting rust, I'm thinking about the next car myself. Being rural and doing a lot of backcountry skiing, it's going to be hard to give up four wheel drive now that I've become accustomed to it. I used to do just fine with front wheel drive cars but it's awfully nice putting a shovel (and a comealong) in the back and knowing even if I get stuck, I'm probably getting out.

That said, the Fit's on the short list. How's the back seat room? Kids are tall.
    Depends on how tall the driver and front passenger are. :)

I'm 6'3", if I'm driving, only people with very short legs can sit behind me. My wife is 5'4", if she's driving, I can comfortable sit behind her. She puts the seat all the way forward, I put it all the way back. For such a small car, the rear seat room is pretty roomy.

Our car is at least one generation old now, I don't know if the current ones have the same rear legroom.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    Wife wants a "cheap" Jeep to get around town on the weekends ... Hope she thinks $20K is cheap. Geesh - how do these things hold their resale value so well?
    when you say Jeep, that means Wrangler? Agree - they hold their value very well. dont go too cheap with one of those either, it'll be a disaster.

I've been driving "cheap jeeps" for years now. paid about 3 grand for the last grand cherokee, and although i've now done a lot of work to it [myself], it's a great beater vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    when you say Jeep, that means Wrangler? Agree - they hold their value very well. dont go too cheap with one of those either, it'll be a disaster.

I've been driving "cheap jeeps" for years now. paid about 3 grand for the last grand cherokee, and although i've now done a lot of work to it [myself], it's a great beater vehicle.
    Yes, I meant to write Wrangler. Maybe I'll get a Grand Cherokee and cut the roof off.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I don't get the Wrangler thing at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cp43 View Post
    Depends on how tall the driver and front passenger are. :)

I'm 6'3", if I'm driving, only people with very short legs can sit behind me. My wife is 5'4", if she's driving, I can comfortable sit behind her. She puts the seat all the way forward, I put it all the way back. For such a small car, the rear seat room is pretty roomy.

Our car is at least one generation old now, I don't know if the current ones have the same rear legroom.
    Hmmm. Not promising, but while the kids are tall, they're skinny and flexible. I'll probably just keep the old rig on the road a few more years. Replacing the radiator this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't get the Wrangler thing at all.
    I had one when I was 19. Tons of torque, fun to drive, can do like a 6 ft. radius 360 and drive over stuff. Here we go to the beach a bit and to friends houses near the beach and kind of tired of the never-ending sand flow through our cars. Having something w/o carpets and essentially weather proof to tool around in would be fun. Maybe I'll splurge for a Geo Tracker.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe I'll splurge for a Geo Tracker.
    go suzuki

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I had one when I was 19. Tons of torque, fun to drive, can do like a 6 ft. radius 360 and drive over stuff. Here we go to the beach a bit and to friends houses near the beach and kind of tired of the never-ending sand flow through our cars. Having something w/o carpets and essentially weather proof to tool around in would be fun. Maybe I'll splurge for a Geo Tracker.
    Yeah, all that I get, for sure. No carpets in my XJ although that's so they don't stay wet all winter and rot the floorboards. I don't get the resale value and the prevalence as daily drivers but who am I to judge?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, all that I get, for sure. No carpets in my XJ although that's so they don't stay wet all winter and rot the floorboards. I don't get the resale value and the prevalence as daily drivers but who am I to judge?
    I drove one as a daily driver for about 8 years. Maybe more. It sucked, but not as much as owning a second car. And the resale sucks for buying used, but it was awesome for selling. I sold it for around 8K less than I paid for it 8 years later. That's just silly. My current FJ Cruiser is even worse (for the buyer). I just checked out some for sale listings online and vehicles with similar mileage are going for only a few thousand less than I paid for mine new. Craziness.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh - I don't get those two things either when it comes to Wranglers. Way overpriced for what they are and I'd hate to commute to work in one. I don't commute though.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh - I don't get those two things either when it comes to Wranglers. Way overpriced for what they are and I'd hate to commute to work in one. I don't commute though.
    It's a great way to avoid work calls from the car. It's impossible to have a conversation in one while driving on a highway.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is very true. I guess my main reason for asking this crew was whether there might be some kind of undiscovered enthusiast car out there that's known for running well, for a long time, that I ought to look at. Something someone has a soft spot for and says, "I have a 199X Studebaker which is a hoot to drive and only needs an oil change occasionally to stay in tip top shape, sport."
    There's not shortage of interesting stuff on Craigslist and Autotrader, but also no shortage of junk. I'm thinking when time comes, I will be doing copious web searching on the reliability of this or that specific model year Edsel/Yugo/Scout that is priced right and available at the time.

I'd love a Wrangler, but for my situation, they're the equivalent of riding in a paceline on an MTB with front suspension. Even if you can lock out the fork and put some slicker tires on it, it's still overkill and wrong for the intended application.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When we were first married I only bought volvos with 100000 plus miles from owners with complete maintenance records never looked back. A well loved 240 sedan with a stick and swaybar is kinda fun and very reliable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    When we were first married I only bought volvos with 100000 plus miles from owners with complete maintenance records never looked back. A well loved 240 sedan with a stick and swaybar is kinda fun and very reliable.
    This is smart advice.

Some dumb(er) advice I've gotten is to find an '88-91 BMW 325ix, and I have been tunneling down that rabbit hole (on the internet), this weekend. You only live once, right?

PC010250.JPG
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a VW Golf. It doesn't snow in Falls Church and if it does, everything will shut down so you won't have to go in to work anyway. Something like a 2005-2007 2.0 GLS 4 dr. Put 4 seasons all weather tires - I think there is a Michelin that's good - and drive it. You won't have to worry about bumps and bonks, bikes inside the car, kids eating pizza in the backseat with their feet, etc.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Get a VW Golf. It doesn't snow in Falls Church and if it does, everything will shut down so you won't have to go in to work anyway. Something like a 2005-2007 2.0 GLS 4 dr. Put 4 seasons all weather tires - I think there is a Michelin that's good - and drive it. You won't have to worry about bumps and bonks, bikes inside the car, kids eating pizza in the backseat with their feet, etc.

I've had one of those.
    An '00 Golf 4-dr, manual. The first car I ever bought new.
    Drove it for ten years and managed to avoid the myriad electrical and other gremlins of that era VW.
    It's definitely on the list, but with our other car being a Jetta wagon, it's kind of a case of been there done that.
    my name is Matt