User Tag List

Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Petition to expand Medicare to be the Single Payer Healthcare System for the USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Petition to expand Medicare to be the Single Payer Healthcare System for the USA

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Of course Trumps blames the Democrats.
    How is that even possible?
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Petition to expand Medicare to be the Single Payer Healthcare System for the USA

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I’m not saying—no, I’m not blaming. First of all, I put Mike Pompeo in. I put Senator Dan Coats in. These are great people. I think they are great people and they are going to, I have a lot of confidence in them. So hopefully things will straighten out.

But I inherited a mess, I inherited a mess in so many ways. I inherited a mess in the Middle East, and a mess with North Korea, I inherited a mess with jobs, despite the statistics, you know, my statistics are even better, but they are not the real statistics because you have millions of people that can’t get a job, ok. And I inherited a mess on trade. I mean we have many, you can go up and down the ladder. But that’s the story.

Hey look, in the mean time, I guess, I can’t be doing so badly, because I’m president, and you’re not. You know.

Say hello to everybody OK?
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    But that’s the story.
    It's so annoying when people won't stick to the story.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope I don't sound naive but I wish the congressional leadership would craft a health bill that would appeal to the moderate base of the Republicans and Democrats. The extremes will never agree to such a compromise....so what. Does the leadership lack a spine, empathy, or a brain?

Ray

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mbrtool View Post
    I hope I don't sound naive but I wish the congressional leadership would craft a health bill that would appeal to the moderate base of the Republicans and Democrats. The extremes will never agree to such a compromise....so what. Does the leadership lack a spine, empathy, or a brain?

Ray
    I think that's what we're living with.

The hastily-written, poorly-conceived, un-debated, un-vetted replacement did nothing to address the actual problems with ACA. It was a cynical rush-job that deserved to crash and burn. Like a dumpster fire.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Because not a single Republican voted for Obamacare. Just like not a single Democrat would have voted for Trumpcare. That’s his point.

So, if we live with it. You know, the same bill Pelosi said "We have to pass the bill before you can see what's in it”… The same one that insured we all paid MORE, not less like Obama promised. A little detail the left just skips over. Raise your hand if you pay LESS for health insurance.

And she has the sack to call Trump attempt a “rookie move”? He’s a quick study Nancy--I wouldn’t be so glib.

So Obamacare stays. How do you folks who live in Alabama, Alaska, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Wyoming--where you only have one provider. That’s zero choice. So pay what the insurance company demands. Or pay the government the penalty costs. Trumpcare would have changed that.

I love the way the Dem Seth Moultin just said “We fought hard, the American people have spoken and we defeated the bill…”

Yeah, it never went to a vote…so WTF is the Left crowing about? The Republicans defeated themselves.

The Left shouldn’t be so happy. The next time the Right does this, it may not be “Obamacare light”--and the next time the Right won’t lose.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

(1) The Hastert Rule
    (2) Don't equate "the extremes." The CPC and the so-called Freedom Caucus are far from equivalent. The CPC advocated for a public option in the ACA, but ultimately supported the ACA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    Because not a single Republican voted for Obamacare. Just like not a single Democrat would have voted for Trumpcare. That’s his point.

So, if we live with it. You know, the same bill Pelosi said "We have to pass the bill before you can see what's in it”… The same one that insured we all paid MORE, not less like Obama promised. A little detail the left just skips over. Raise your hand if you pay LESS for health insurance.

And she has the sack to call Trump attempt a “rookie move”? He’s a quick study Nancy--I wouldn’t be so glib.

So Obamacare stays. How do you folks who live in Alabama, Alaska, Oklahoma, South Carolina and Wyoming--where you only have one provider. That’s zero choice. So pay what the insurance company demands. Or pay the government the penalty costs. Trumpcare would have changed that.

I love the way the Dem Seth Moultin just said “We fought hard, the American people have spoken and we defeated the bill…”

Yeah, it never went to a vote…so WTF is the Left crowing about? The Republicans defeated themselves.

The Left shouldn’t be so happy. The next time the Right does this, it may not be “Obamacare light”--and the next time the Right won’t lose.
    The problem with that analysis is this whole thing fell apart precisely because the provisions that helped get Freedom Caucus members on board ruined support from the moderate GOP wing. There are districts where the extension of Medicaid and the highly popular portions of Obamacare are, yanno, popular. There are GOP reps from districts that Clinton won that are walking a tightrope with this. There are folks who remember the healthcare market before ACA, with lifetime coverage caps and pre-existing conditions and all those un-fun things.

A more extreme version of their proposal becomes even less likely to survive the House and Senate, not more. Gets back to the central political force of the last decade -- the GOP is schizophrenic with the two sides of the party fighting like hell over the steering wheel. And its easier to ignore that fight and band together when you're the opposition party. Tougher to do that now the party is running things and everyone under the tent wants their say, only to find out there's very little common ground on some of this stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    A more extreme version of their proposal becomes even less likely to survive the House and Senate, not more.
    Unless Trump finds he has to move more towards the far right to get more GOP support.

I agree, the Republican party is all over the place. Out of 17 candidates, look who won.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Freedom Caucus = Blue Dog Democrats

Think coalition government. Both parties have forged allegiances with a more conservative minority in their party that do not reflect the views of the majority of their constituency as a pact with the devil to try to dominate politics. It did not work for the Democrats, it will not work for the Republicans. Wait until the budget and tax reform get debated.

Corso you could defend red is blue. Why you aren't working for the Trump administration is beyond me. You are their missing piece.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ray
    The lack of all three appears widespread.

Yes, it would be nice to find a system that could provide coverage for all and was more cost efficient than our current system. But wait a minute...we could learn from our Canadian neighbours single payer system, but that would be too simple. And come to think of it we could wake up and realize that in Medicare we have a proven single payer system that could be scaled up and improved, benefiting us just as happened for Canadian citizens. But I guess folks enjoy knowing that every cent they and their employers contribute to private health care insurance will evaporate. It's queer though; I can't seem to find any who want the same thing to happen to their investments.

Grab your pay stub. See what's deducted for HC. Figure out how much your employer contributes; for me it was about 3x. Multiply by however many pay periods will be in your working life. If you want to be more sophisticated you can adjust for inflation, lower costs 10 or 20 years ago (whenever you started working) and the arc of other increases in cost, but you don't really need to, to get the drift. Anyway, figure an average and calculate the total. That's MOL what will evaporate when you retire. That's what won't have been growing to augment your HC in old age. Of course, every time you change jobs you'll lose the total to that point and be uncovered when in between jobs. It's a pretty big number, well into six figures for me and I'm pretty average. I don't know many who want to piss that sort of dough away. It certainly doesn't make me smile. Single payer prevents it, lowers overall costs, spreads the risk across the entire population (a very good thing) and by being tax based is less susceptible to "takers", gaming and fraud and has the horsepower to go after fraudsters in a big way. Oh, it also has the most purchasing power possible.

But as I said, it's far too simple.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the Republicans move further right with a plan providing more than the $1Trillion tax cut for the rich, less coverage and higher costs out of pocket than this sorry bill did, they will get blown out off office so fast your head will spin. The Trump disruption will last one House term as everyone finally realizes they were sold a bill of goods.
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the Republicans move further right with a plan providing more than the $1Trillion tax cut for the rich, less coverage and higher costs out of pocket than this sorry bill did, they will get blown out off office so fast your head will spin. The Trump disruption will last one House term as everyone finally realizes they were sold a bill of goods.
    I think very little will dissuade their constituency from voting Republican again. Why? Because while Republicans may not be perfect, they are not Democrats, pure and simple. The only way Democrats will win is by fielding quality candidates in every contest, chipping away at Republican dominance of state governments, and maximizing voter turnout.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Corso you could defend red is blue. Why you aren't working for the Trump administration is beyond me. You are their missing piece.
    Then I’d become a politician. And I’d hate myself!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we always have to knock the rich? I’m far from that, believe me, but I understand that without them, this country goes down the tubes pretty damn fast.

The Clintons are rich. Obama is rich. Elizabeth Warren is rich. Pelosi is rich. The Hollywood elite are rich. Soros is rich. Take away Soros, and say goodbye to all the organized protest worldwide-occupying nada. So why is the left so into bashing themselves? Oh, I forget, only old white guys like Trump are the real evil rich. The rich support the political machine, all sides.

The rich also support Charities, Hospitals, Universities, invest in new business, etc etc. Without them we’d be talking on tin cans with strings.

408chart.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Corso, why was there a Republican plan at all ?
    All those votes to repeal O'BamaCare, didn't include O'CareLite.
    The CBO sort of supported repeal only, 1 million fewer uninsured with a plain repeal than of O'BamaCare Lite,
    even before the last minute changes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do we always have to knock the rich?
    I wasn't knocking the rich at all. I was quoting the CBO analysis of the Trump/Ryan plan and it did in fact have a $1Trillion tax cut for high income tax payers.

If you would like me to attack them I'd be happy to. How about this little factoid about the rich: According to recent research the top 8 most wealthy individuals in the world (6 of them are American) are worth more than the bottom 3.6 Billion people .

To help get a better feeling about these think about it in terms of time. 8 seconds is 8 seconds. 3.6Billion seconds is slightly over 114 years.

Now tell me the rich get picked on too much...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

--- i have paid taxes from 16 yoa onward.. pd into ss too.., along with the corporate contribution.. left my ss roi until 70 yoa..
    the american tax payer dug deep into their pockets put me back together again back in 1969..
    blessed with family, monetarily and within --- smile to help others not having the door openings/success and enjoyments i have had.., but i also busted my ass with endless stress work hours and ass bustings too..
    -- what i feel within knowing my life clock is closing in on the no re-wind mode ----
    soooo much of our time, energy, monies are spent in the defense & security ( reality is offense) --- just think what could be done for health care for all if "power lust and self survival..," both sides of the aisle worked together for this goal we all have a right to..

(oh.., by the way ---- we ole bastards are living much to long and spending mega health care $'s the last months/days trying to dodge the omega & echo Methuselah..)**

** only relates to me

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ron l edmiston View Post
    soooo much of our time, energy, monies are spent in the defense & security ( reality is offense) --- just think what could be done for health care for all if "power lust and self survival..," both sides of the aisle worked together for this goal we all have a right to
    ronnie with a smile
    I get glimmers of hope when I hear combat veterans question our foreign policies and excessive military. We do not need to spend more on the military; we could cut the military by half and have no loss of deterrence by state actors. Terrorism is a different kettle of fish but a good start would be to cease our committing atrocities on others directly, and indirectly by virtue of the despots we've supported. Read Blowback or Spoils of War or any other similar books. We need to take a very good, very long look in the mirror.

As to health care for all, we don't really need to rob the DOD; we need only choose a sensible, cost effective cradle to grave model. There are two from which to choose: fully nationalized (like the UK) and single payer (Canada, France and Medicare here, and there are others). Fully nationalized is obviously a nonstarter in Marlboro Man Country but single payer is possible; well, actually it's here to the tune of approximately 30% of us (Tricare, Medicare, Medicaid). It blends tax based public financing (providing the essential economic and continuous coverage attributes) with private service delivery, medical appliances and pharma (which should please the private sector folks). There is zero question about single payer efficacy or cost efficiencies. Certainly there would be benefit to evaluating other aspects of our medical system but that should be done anyway.

Sadly the larger public is uninformed, disinterested, destracted and deceived by ideological posturing and would prefer a good fight to boring solutions that would have their couple hundred thousand dollars remain in harness for themselves and the greater good. They're also, to their own financial detriment, excessively concerned by "takers" (folks who haven't contributed but get services). Interestingly, a tax based single payer system addresses that too. The solutions are quite simple and proven. We're just too disfunctional to make the necessary changes.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried once, it was hard, I quit.....Prez DT
    ‘The Earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those that are killing it have names and addresses-‘ Utah Phillips