User Tag List

Page 116 of 177 FirstFirst ... 106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122123124125126 ... LastLast
Results 2,301 to 2,320 of 3523

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Recent article from the NYT titled “When did dive watches become the watch of the rich?”

Watches Are Yet Another Easy Way Rich People Make Their Money Into More Money - The New York Times
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    Recent article from the NYT titled “When did dive watches become the watch of the rich?”

Watches Are Yet Another Easy Way Rich People Make Their Money Into More Money - The New York Times
    IMHO, watches are not investments. They are expensive toys.

In my case, it was dumb luck that the undesirable 40mm Explorer II Polar I purchased in 1994 is now more in-demand than 25 years ago when I purchased it. There is nothing special about it because Rolex made millions of them even though there were many fewer Polar/White dial versions produced. It is most probably only worth more now because of the vintage Rolex craze but again IMHO a 25 year old watch is hardly vintage. I did not care and gladly sold the watch which ultimately funded most of my new 42mm Explorer II Polar which is by far a technically much better watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Because, as funcrusher noted, there are still some sketchy ADs out there and because there are a lot of customers tempted by the premiums so they flip them. As long as demand is what it is, people will find a way to get them and resell them. Good luck with the warranty, though. And that assuming it's real and unmodified.

here's a nice article about the grey market for watches: RECOMMENDED READING: The watch grey market isn't black and white | Time and Tide Watches

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ashford's "weekly deals" section is always worth watching. Last week, they had some of the Eterna watches on sale so I ordered one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    Funny video. It's about 20% based somewhat in truth and about 80% hogwash and rumor mill perpetuated bs. At least as far as it concerns the two brands they mostly focused on, Rolex and Patek. For a couple of dudes who think they know how it all works, they have a pretty slim inventory of Rolex and Patek on their site for it. They also have a skewed view of Rolex and Patek and how they feel about their customers...but that's probably because they're on the outside looking in.

Now, for some of the other big watch brands out there, this stuff likely (or definitely) happens. Anything from a brand turning a blind eye to a brand who cares about nothing more than total units, regardless of the channel. But Rolex and Patek don't work like that.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Strongin (as I often do when it comes to information about watches). Federico Iossa and John Pietrasz have a relatively new pre-owned online-only watch business, known as Delray Watch, which focuses on $2500-$5000 watches so the information they have is probably limited by their "network" unlike someone who has been in the industry much longer. Their viewpoint is obviously skewed by the part of the market they operate in and think they know best (not meant as a dig). They are not a new authorized dealer, they are not a grey market dealer, and they operate in a very small slice of the pre-owned market. Also, the video is almost 2 years old and much has changed in the watch industry in that time.

In my limited informed opinion, the Quill and Pad article might be a more realistic, but oversimplified, version of the truth.

Funny video. It's about 20% based somewhat in truth and about 80% hogwash and rumor mill perpetuated bs. At least as far as it concerns the two brands they mostly focused on, Rolex and Patek. For a couple of dudes who think they know how it all works, they have a pretty slim inventory of Rolex and Patek on their site for it. They also have a skewed view of Rolex and Patek and how they feel about their customers...but that's probably because they're on the outside looking in.

Now, for some of the other big watch brands out there, this stuff likely (or definitely) happens. Anything from a brand turning a blind eye to a brand who cares about nothing more than total units, regardless of the channel. But Rolex and Patek don't work like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hamtun Kraken H2 finally arrived on Saturday.
    - It looks great.
    - It wears well.
    - It's titanium.
    - It has a 60 click ball bearing bezel action (most watches are 120 and use a cheaper click spring).
    - It comes with a very nice 2 watch leather pouch.
    - Mine has the upgraded swiss Selita sw200 movement (and slimmer case) which was an added cost (about $125US).
    - Mine has the included, on kickstarter only, rubber strap with titanium clasp ($45US extra on the sold out Indiegogo listing)
    - It's for sale (if someone wants it on VSalon before it goes to eBay for much more money) in the brand new, un-adjusted, no links removed or touched, with plastic and stickers still on it state.

I waited so long for it that I am unfortunately already over it. I have just under $500 into it due to the upgraded movement. If you view the Kickstarter campaign you will learn that this was one of the most, if not the most, successful watch campaigns ever. Even the Indiegogo listing (after kickstarter) has sold out and it was listed for $515 (not including extra rubber strap at $45). Again, not trying to make a profit here but rather trying to do something nice for another VSaloner before it goes to eBay. PM if interested.

Attachment 114568Attachment 114569

*****Sticker is still on the face of the watch which is why some dust is showing. The dust is on the sticker and not inside the crystal and/or on the dial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    "... Hamtun Kraken H2..."
    It somewhat reminds me of the great IWC Aquatimer from the late-1990s and early-2000s.
    There is is something about the bezel font that instantly raised it in my memory. GLWTS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Hamtum looks great. I'm a big fan of titanium...two of my three are titanium.

The quick adjust clasp has been ordered for the Oceanus. Looking forward to getting it in and fixing the one minor nit pick I have with that watch.

My Citizen is now about a year old, tho I haven't had it quite a year yet. It's DuraTech surface treatment has held up well, the bracelet, case, and bezel are scratch free. The clasp has a few marks on it, but that's expected. I'm pretty sure the majority of the scratches on the fold over piece are from some ceramic bakeware - we have a few ceramic baking sheets we use a ton, and I know I've heard ceramic on metal while holding them on that forearm and drying them off.

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    The Hamtum looks great. I'm a big fan of titanium...two of my three are titanium.

My Citizen is now about a year old, tho I haven't had it quite a year yet. It's DuraTech surface treatment has held up well, the bracelet, case, and bezel are scratch free. The clasp has a few marks on it, but that's expected. I'm pretty sure the majority of the scratches on the fold over piece are from some ceramic bakeware - we have a few ceramic baking sheets we use a ton, and I know I've heard ceramic on metal while holding them on that forearm and drying them off.
    Thanks and those marks are most probably "desk diver" marks. All of my metal bracelet watches tend to get marks on the clasp and the side of the bracelet between the clasp and 12.

I have also heard that drawing with crayons can be dangerous to a watch if you are not careful. Cute kid!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Thanks and those marks are most probably "desk diver" marks. All of my metal bracelet watches tend to get marks on the clasp and the side of the bracelet between the clasp and 12.

I have also heard that drawing with crayons can be dangerous to a watch if you are not careful. Cute kid!
    Some of them are desk diving marks I'm sure, but I also know I've heard that ceramic meets metal sound a few times, and ceramic is HARD. I'm not concerned about it either way. As long as the crystal doesn't scratch I'm good haha, and it's still scratch free as well, and being sapphire I expect it to stay that way unless I do something stupid.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: timepieces

@dgaddis, like you said, I similarly consider clasp marks just the "patina of a life lived well" that just happen.
    If there is anything I consider especially bothersome they are easily removed with a few dabs of polishing compound.
    For the most part I just leave the watches as they accumulate normal wear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sinn just announced yet another Limited Edition watch (what are they trying to be, Omega?)

I like everything about this watch except the "fauxtina" lume. I think it looks unresolved near the all white lettering and I personally think the "fauxtina" trend should stop. Last year's 104 St Sa A G black bezel, green dial, and white Arabic numeral 500 piece limited edition was amazing. This year's 1000 piece blue bezel, blue dial, lumed fauxtina arabic numberals missed the mark IMHO.

Sinn 104 A St Sa A BE Limited Edition $1430

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like that Sinn a lot. 41mm and 20mm lugs is a good reasonable size too.

it's not a big deal, but personally, i think day complications are gimicky and stupid. maybe it happens to some subset of the population, but i've never felt the need to consult my watch to determine what day of the week it is. if you own multiple watches and they are not all on auto winders, this is just another thing to set when you want to wear it. again, not a huge issue, but i would always prefer a watch without the day there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

it's not a big deal, but personally, i think day complications are gimicky and stupid. maybe it happens to some subset of the population, but i've never felt the need to consult my watch to determine what day of the week it is. if you own multiple watches and they are not all on auto winders, this is just another thing to set when you want to wear it. again, not a huge issue, but i would always prefer a watch without the day there.
    Haha, I like having the day on there! I do see the annoying with mechanicals with day/date complications when you don't keep them wound. All my watches are quartz w/perpetual calendars tho so I don't have to worry about setting them.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Haha, I like having the day on there! I do see the annoying with mechanicals with day/date complications when you don't keep them wound. All my watches are quartz w/perpetual calendars tho so I don't have to worry about setting them.

I'll share a third opinion as I am one of those that likes/needs a date (but not always a day) complication on a mechanical watch. After all these years I am use to it and do not always have my smartphone with me or a calendar in front of me. I do not (currently) have any quartz watches and do not mind winding/setting a mechanical watch when I am going to wear. Also, since I am slimming down my "collection" after it grew in 2019 this is not a big issue for me anyway.

@dgaddis I will most probably withdraw my launch day pledge (which a few others have already done) from the Phantom Watch. It's really nice but I am 99% sure I will want to get rid of it within weeks of getting it so I am not sure the hassle of waiting for it, trying it, selling it, and taking a loss on the sale (however small it may be) is worth it.

I'll see how long it lasts but 2020 should be back to basics for me which means many fewer watches...I hope. The one fly in the ointment might be when WatchBuys announces new stock of the all matte brushed case Sinn104. There is even a rumor they might do a white dial version which I'm not sure I could resist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: timepieces

@dgaddis, @NYCfixie, and @AngryScientist -

SINN UX is really compelling as an easy get-up-and-go convenient quartz sports watch that has a date.
    I am tempted by the sturdy SINN U2 automatic yet the red graphics and second timezone clutters the dial.
    The base model IWC Aquatimer is also terrific for clarity (with date) yet at a far different pricepoint.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complications aren't about function, they're about interesting design and engineering. Tiny little marvels on the wrist. How many people wake up and don't know what day of the week it is? That's not the point, though. Like an annual or perpetual calendar...will you really go a lifetime and only rely on your watch to know what day, month or year you're in? But they're so cool and interesting from a design and engineering perspective that I just love 'em. I think the only complication that has real world usage is a twin-time/travel-time. But I'd still love a minute repeater one day. I mean, who wouldn't love the ability to have your wrist watch shout out the time of day through chimes.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Complications aren't about function, they're about interesting design and engineering. .
    while i generally agree with the sentiment, i think for tool watches, divers specifically, should keep it dead simple. function above all else. then again, my favorite watch is the no-date sub; i still think it's an engineering marvel, everything i need, nothing i dont.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this new Sinn reminds me that i want a white dial'ed 'pilots' watch.
    -Dustin