Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 112 of 353 FirstFirst ... 102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 7056

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    My wife is always talking about a Wrangler. Everything I read says they are junk and will fall apart as I drive off the lot. Anyone care to share experiences?

-Joe
    My 2003 Rubicon was my daily driver for about 7 years. It was awesome and dead reliable up until it spent 2 days half submerged in a flood. And yeah, that's quite a flood to half submerge a lifted Rubicon. I got rid of then so I wouldn't have to deal with water related issues, but had that not happened I'm sure I'd still have it. I don't know if the newer ones are less reliable, but they're so much more complicated than the older straight-6, no power anything I could see it. We got a 2015 Grand Cherokee a few months ago and it hasn't burst into flames yet. In fact, I'm really happy with it and it's a lot of car for the money.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife is always talking about a Wrangler. Everything I read says they are junk and will fall apart as I drive off the lot. Anyone care to share experiences?

-Joe
    Get one of these. I am sure someone in Colorado is doing restorations on classic Land Cruisers.

Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I never thought I'd be a Viper fan but.. that ACR.

Besides the GT4, who else makes a NA manual for track days? We are seeing just how far that thing punches out of the Z06/GT3 class -- more like beating up on 918/P1/Laugh-arris.

Best Vipers ever and they are selling at a rate of less than 500/yr. And 2017 is the last year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Get one of these. I am sure someone in Colorado is doing restorations on classic Land Cruisers.

Just get an Icon FJ43.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those Icon 4x4's are incredible. There is a white FJ40 I see out in Amagansett from time to time. Looks like it gets cleaned with a toothbrush after every trip through the airlock on the garage.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dutchess View Post
    Just get an Icon FJ43.
    I posted this in another thread a couple months ago:

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDangerPants View Post
    I see quite a few exotic cars on my neck of the woods (as well as bikes) but this was the first time I spied one of these. This sweet Icon FJ44 parked next to me while fueling up this morning.

As nice as it was, I think I'd rather have an original.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    for all you know that viper could've clocked the track record there...

Willow Springs lap times - FastestLaps.com
    I found a blurry picture on my phone. Same plate as the car I posted above. It may be the record holder, but the guy driving told me flat out he simply wasn't willing to run it to its full potential - that the aero stuff required you to do things that seem to defy physics and common sense to go fast.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Icons are so over the top insane it's not even funny.
    That matte slate gray they use is the cats pajamas. I want to get my Crown Jewel repainted like that sometime.

So our new (2009) Touareg failed inspection and the dealership is replacing the right front ball joint. Fortunately, my independent mechanic says its in pretty cherry condition bedsides that.
    In the meantime, our loaner is a brand new, loaded Volvo XC60. This car is seriously nice, and doing nothing to dissuade me from my plan to buy an XC90 next year or the year after. The Polestar version would be killer.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    I found a blurry picture on my phone. Same plate as the car I posted above. It may be the record holder, but the guy driving told me flat out he simply wasn't willing to run it to its full potential - that the aero stuff required you to do things that seem to defy physics and common sense to go fast.
    makes sense. also makes sense that some pro drivers were encouraged by chrysler to get some seat time in the car...

2016 Dodge Viper ACR Sets 13 Lap Records, Outmuscles P1 & 918 Spyder: Video

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Joe
    i have a 2015 that i bought to daily drive so as to not relentlessly flog my sports car in eg bad weather.

here's the deal - the chrysler switchgear and electronics seem way better than i remembered. all of it is still plastic-y and whatnot, but it is MORE than acceptable.
    the pentastar seems like a great engine. doesnt have any interesting noise or drama, but come on - it works.
    the suspension (i have a sahara that i lifted and put new suspension on...) was very driveable and satisfactory, even over 2-3 hours of highway driving. after that i'd probably want to just steer into a bridge abutment rather than going on.

bottom line - set your expectations low and you will be impressed and pleased with the quality and useability at this price point, and obviously the capability is off the charts. expect highway cruising to rival a bmw 750il and you will be sorely disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Badonk, I'm glad to hear they didn't refine it too much. My 2003 had a plastic dash and I thought that was still a bit over the top for a wrangler. The new ones have so many bells and whistles by comparison, so it's nice that they still drive like Wranglers. Since I no longer wanted a soft top I moved over to a Toyota FJ and I think it rivals or exceeds my wranglers (2 over a 10+ year stint) in just about every way, and I say that as someone who still love jeeps. I think Toyota is making a mistake taking them out of the lineup. I could see going back to a Jeep once it's time to move the FJ out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Badonk, I'm glad to hear they didn't refine it too much. My 2003 had a plastic dash and I thought that was still a bit over the top for a wrangler. The new ones have so many bells and whistles by comparison, so it's nice that they still drive like Wranglers. Since I no longer wanted a soft top I moved over to a Toyota FJ and I think it rivals or exceeds my wranglers (2 over a 10+ year stint) in just about every way, and I say that as someone who still love jeeps. I think Toyota is making a mistake taking them out of the lineup. I could see going back to a Jeep once it's time to move the FJ out.
    i havent driven one, but just bc it's a toyota product i would imagine the FJ is about 10x the car over the wrangler except perhaps in two distinct respects:
    1) american badge, built in toledo! and
    2) fun filled american stupidity and smiles

all summer i kept the soft top on with all the windows out of my wrangler. if it rained, the carpet and insulation got wet. so what? i pulled some of the drain plugs and nothing really pooled or stayed wet, except on top of the subwoofer in the back. i think the bass is better when it's muted by a half pound of water anyway;)

these are not good cars - these are capable and fun cars. the informed buyer will be pleased. some 33s on cool wheels with a 2" lift makes it all worth it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Badonkadonk View Post
    i havent driven one, but just bc it's a toyota product i would imagine the FJ is about 10x the car over the wrangler except perhaps in two distinct respects:
    1) american badge, built in toledo! and
    2) fun filled american stupidity and smiles

all summer i kept the soft top on with all the windows out of my wrangler. if it rained, the carpet and insulation got wet. so what? i pulled some of the drain plugs and nothing really pooled or stayed wet, except on top of the subwoofer in the back. i think the bass is better when it's muted by a half pound of water anyway;)

these are not good cars - these are capable and fun cars. the informed buyer will be pleased. some 33s on cool wheels with a 2" lift makes it all worth it
    A wrangler isn't being used to its full potential without some water pooled somewhere inside. I took the top completely off my Rubicon, removed the carpets, removed the backseat, installed a bikini top, and put wet okole neoprene seat covers on the front seats. Drove it like that for 4 or 5 years rain or shine. It was a hoot. When it came time to sell it, I put everything back and removed the seat covers and it looked brand new inside and out. Sure helped get top dollar on the sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone here own a Honda S2000? Thinking about trying to find a clean low mileage 2003. Last year of the AP1 looks like the sweet spot to me.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-Joe
    I owned a 1997 TJ for nigh on a decade plus. Was dead reliable save for a water pump that failed at 140k (totally normal, its a wear part for Pete's sake).

I loved it desperately. But here are the problems:

1) Its built to excel at 20mph, not 60mph. Highway cruising was agony. Its a box tent going down the road. The new ones are better from what I hear, but no thought was paid to on-road aerodynamics at all. You couldn't pay me to drive one above 75mph.
    2) I had the 2.5L 4-banger. I'd be amazed if the thing hit 70mph being dropped out of an airplane. See above. 60 felt like 100 on the highway. It was insane. As such, gas mileage sucked for something that no oomph at the top end. Its geared super low -- I could just drop my foot off the clutch without my foot on the gas in 4WD Low and it wouldn't stall out. Just creep forward. Stock they're amazingly capable little off-roaders.
    3) I was broken into three separate times, as the plastic windows are just that. I learned my lesson and didn't leave anything valuable in it, but that didn't keep folks from seeing an easy mark.
    4) The storage space in the boot, such as it was, was essentially nonexistent.

I think Jeeps are amazing and would look at one again as a second car in a heartbeat, but they excel off-road and in conditions that other cars can't. It sucks as a daily driver. I'd rather daily a Miata.

Do not get a Wrangler if you're going to spend 90+% of your time on-road.

As my buddy once said, the Jeep is the ideal car for your best friend to have, all the fun with none of the hassle. That being said, I do not love my GTI as much as I loved that Jeep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Does anyone here own a Honda S2000? Thinking about trying to find a clean low mileage 2003. Last year of the AP1 looks like the sweet spot to me.
    The Honda F20 lump is one of the best high-performance 4-cylinder engines ever built, it is the true successor to Toyota's 4AG in my opinion. That said I think the Miata (2003 puts you in a NB) is a better car all around. Its 500 pounds lighter and better balanced...but then again the NB gets the last laugh going up against most cars in anything but a straight line!
    laughter has no foreign accent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Musgrave View Post
    The Honda F20 is imho one of the best high-performance 4-cylinder engines ever built.
    K20 > F20

Neil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My father in law has approximately 8 of them available. If you're truly interested I can pass along his contact info. They are all immaculate. You'd think that with that many he'd give one or two to his 'best' son in law. Go figure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonjr View Post
    My father in law has approximately 8 of them available. If you're truly interested I can pass along his contact info. They are all immaculate. You'd think that with that many he'd give one or two to his 'best' son in law. Go figure.
    8 S2000s?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe that's the current count. He's quite the collector and he really likes S2000s.