User Tag List

Page 112 of 177 FirstFirst ... 102103104105106107108109110111112113114115116117118119120121122 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 3528

Thread: Timepieces

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by bbattle View Post
    After receiving a watch with a bracelet and needing to resize a couple more, I invested in a case holder block, a set of pins and a mallet. Overkill if you have just one bracelet to resize, but I had at least three at my house and a couple more in the family.

But some of the Seiko bracelet pins can be a real bear to remove without proper tools so I plumped down and got some tools from Horotec.

These tools really make it so easy to resize a bracelet. This of course means I'll be on the lookout for some nice bracelet options for my collection.

Esslinger Watchmakers Tools and Watch Parts is a great place to find watch tools.

Perhaps NYCfixie has some other links; I know he's quite the modder. :-)

Strapcode makes very nice bracelets with screws.

I am a "Designer/Planner" not a "Modder". I know what look I want and often where to find the parts but I leave the actual work to an experienced modder (and similar to bike technicians, I am happy to pay for quality services).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW If anyone is after a Breitling Colt Skyracer I have a friend (of my wife) selling one. "Essentially never worn". They don't have an asking price, they're looking for offers. MSRP is $2,000

Colt Skyracer Breitlight(R) - Volcano Black X7432E4/BF87/293S/X2S.1 | Breitling

Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Never mind all that! Let's see that steinhart.
    sunday morning kermit love

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great.

How does your 39mm Steinhart Kermit wear, in terms of overall size and fit, when compared to your 5 digit Sub or (or other Rolex sports watch)?

And how is the cyclops? 1x, 2x, as good as Rolex?

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    sunday morning kermit love

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Looks great.

How does your 39mm Steinhart Kermit wear, in terms of overall size and fit, when compared to your 5 digit Sub or (or other Rolex sports watch)?

And how is the cyclops? 1x, 2x, as good as Rolex?
    I would say it wears very similar to the sub, which is what i was after. a bit taller, but similar. construction of the bracelet is also very good, especially for the price point they hit on this one.

the cyclops is a feature i've never been a fan of. harder to keep the crystal smudge free, and essentially needless for me. neither of my Rolex have one, haha!

overall, i really like the watch, and it will be a daily wearer for the time being.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another (not so expensive) 2 watch collection option: 1 dress and 1 sport.

Sinn 556 Blue dial $1160

Sinn 104 Anthracite dial (fine link bracelet shown but I would get it on the h link instead) $1560

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like that blue dial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a hard time describing anything Sinn makes as dress.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    It's all about context.

That specific 556 blue dial model might be considered "dress" in today's less formal society. Fifty years ago, probably not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's a fun article:

Antiques Road Show Features Man Who Bought Rolex Oyster Paul Newman For $345.97 In The Mid-7s And Never Wore It - HODINKEE

While stationed in Thailand in the 1970s, the gentleman says he traveled on Air America Airlines and Continental Airlines, where he noticed that the pilots routinely wore Rolex watches. Intrigued, he ordered one of his own through his base exchange, paying $345.97, and even received a 10% discount!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hodinkee did a nice piece on the Casio G-Shock GA2100 1-A-1. I have a couple of big dollar watches, but I am less enamored of them and seem to gravitate to these type of watches these days. Of course with the Hodinkee buzz, good luck finding one.

The Value Proposition: The Cult Classic Casio G-Shock GA21 1-A-1 'CasiOak' - HODINKEE

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Sinn Uhren: Kollektion Classic Timepieces
    It's not what they usually do or what they (arguably) do best, but these qualify.
    1736-St-I-4N_V.jpg1736-Classic_V.jpg1746-Classic_V.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish companies would stop assuming dress watches should be larger than 36mm (or 39mm at most) and 10mm thick. I have larger than average wrists at 7.25 but even I think a 39mm (and 12mm thick) watch is pushing the limits of style and what can fit under a dress shirt cuff. I get that styles and trends change over time but the big-watch-thing was not a good one IMHO and I am glad it is coming to an end (or at least watches are not growing in size as fast as they were just a few years ago).

Even if the guy/gal wearing jeans, an open collar shirt, and a blazer is going for "Malibu casual", I am not sure the 44mm and 15mm thick -insert watch model/brand here- looks good with it. There are so many not even that expensive options for a dress watch to match that style outfit.

JLC Reverso $5900

Hamilton IntraMatic $845

Timex Marlin $199

JustBlueFish Watch Reviews

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My comments about the Casio aside, a JLC Reverso is one my list of "grail watches", as the watch boys say. To your point I would prefer the regular not grande versions because the grande are much thicker and wear bigger. The 8-day movement they offered about 10-years ago might be the absolute bomb, but it was grande size only like the N+1 bike, these are not small money decisions.

JLC Reverso $5900

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The correct answer is 40mm with thickness of 11.5mm or less. This ensures that gems like the Patek 5205 make the cut and you can't limit dress watches to only those without complications.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaking of chunky watches, do any of you enthusiasts and collectors know where Franck Muller watches are made? It's a serious question (well, in the sense that I'm not trying to pull anyone's leg). If you are going to say, Genthod, then you know more than anyone in Geneva. If you are going to name another location, you know more than anyone in Geneva.
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: timepieces

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    "...JustBlueFish Watch Reviews...Big v. Small..."
    A pivotal concern that will never go away is clarity and legibility. Unless we find the Fountain of Youth for our eyes, of course!
    To my mind one has to "concentrate" his or her gaze on the watch below 38mm or so. Dial color and marker color is crucial, too.
    For example, that JLC Reverso is very legible. Even a much bigger watch with silver hands on a silver dial might be harder to read.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    A pivotal concern that will never go away is clarity and legibility. Unless we find the Fountain of Youth for our eyes, of course!
    To my mind one has to "concentrate" his or her gaze on the watch below 38mm or so. Dial color and marker color is crucial, too.
    For example, that JLC Reverso is very legible. Even a much bigger watch with silver hands on a silver dial might be harder to read.
    I agree with you 100%

And why even on my 38.5 Seiko SARB035 I had to add a new aftermarket crystal with a cyclops because I could not otherwise read the date (without my reading glasses):

And why my I can still read the date on my 36mm DateJust with stock cyclops:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Re: timepieces

Agreed that the visual "relief" on your three Rolex watches makes them easily very legible.
    In the instance of the Explorer II model, the dark outline on hands and numbers absolutely helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    Agreed that the visual "relief" on your three Rolex watches makes them easily very legible.
    In the instance of the Explorer II model, the dark outline on hands and numbers absolutely helps.
    "blackened" gold hands and markers.

1994 Explorer II 40mm was sold (05/2019) because I got the Submariner Date, was not wearing this one, and was offered ridiculous money for it.
    2018 Submariner Date was sold (11/2019) because I was not wearing it since I never connected with it.
    2009 DateJust is a keeper (my wife got it for me for a significant birthday in 2010).

I missed the Explorer II 40mm so much (had it for 25 years since new), I got the 42mm version (08/2019) and it is even more legible (bigger date wheel than the 40mm version).