User Tag List

Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast

Thread: Who will challenge Trump? Who you like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Who will challenge Trump? Who you like?

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    "...So please stop with the provocations and actually engage in conversation..."
    This is a thread about the upcoming election. There is no need to call anyone names on VSalon. It is unbecoming.
    The utterly predictable "Russia! Russia! Russia!" thing has arisen for yet another round in the media.
    If there is any basis to it, it will be investigated, and there will be consequences to anyone in the administration.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who will challenge Trump? Who you like?

I tend to bring a little bit of a different perspective to the choice of President. A lot of campaigning seems to be based around creating legislative wish lists and trying to appeal to voters along that dimension. Well I do recognize that the modern president does have some ability to shape the types of issues brought forth by the Congress, the president is head of the executive branch, and I assess candidates principally based on who I feel will be the most effective administrator. So fundamental principles such as competence, ethics, and experience are all much more important to me than who has the best health care policy, as that will ultimately be a question for Congress to decide if they so choose to take it up. I would much prefer the debates focus on areas that are squarely within the president's purview such as what the president plans to do to fix the exodus of talent at the state department, the aging workforce at IRS, adapt national security to better address cybersecurity threats, etc.

I recognize that in practice, our political process does not reward candidates who share my set of priorities, so among the viable candidates, I will have to try to pick out the person I think will do the best job once in office, and I will likely live with the legislative accomplishments or lack thereof that go along with him or her.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What bothered me the most about what wasn't said at the last debate: no one mentioned cutting the defense budget to fund anything. The biggest piece of the pie is left intact and they fight over the scraps.

To me that is fundamentally BS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    What bothered me the most about what wasn't said at the last debate: no one mentioned cutting the defense budget to fund anything. The biggest piece of the pie is left intact and they fight over the scraps.

You are paying attention and have a firm grasp of the fundamentals!
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    This is a thread about the upcoming election. There is no need to call anyone names on VSalon. It is unbecoming.
    The utterly predictable "Russia! Russia! Russia!" thing has arisen for yet another round in the media.
    If there is any basis to it, it will be investigated, and there will be consequences to anyone in the administration.
    baby games bro, baby games. you know it, we know it, it is known.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just. Not. True.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fortyfour View Post
    "...So what can come off as bumbling and forgetful, is actually him stuttering. Once I learned this, it made me see Biden in a completely different light. That didn't change who I voted for in the Democratic Primary here in NH, but it did give me a heck of a lot more compassion for him when I listen to him speak..."
    Good article find, @fortyfour. VP Biden is deserving of compassion and grace.
    That now makes complete sense when his recent comments are considered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here, but I just want to interject with an important point: Biden suffers from a stutter. He's battled it his entire life. You'll see him making a point, then appear to forget or stumbled and then he'll pivot to use a different word. That's him working through an active stutter. So what can come off as bumbling and forgetful, is actually him stuttering. Once I learned this, it made me see Biden in a completely different light. That didn't change who I voted for in the Democratic Primary here in NH, but it did give me a heck of a lot more compassion for him when I listen to him speak.

There's a great article in the Atlantic from a month or so ago here.
    The problem with Biden's candidacy ain't his stutter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    The problem with Biden's candidacy ain't his stutter.

However, reading/following some comments here prompted my comment and link to the article via the Atlantic.

His actual candidacy and platform are an entirely different conversation, of which I agree with what you're hinting at.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

However, reading/following some comments here prompted my comment and link to the article via the Atlantic.

His actual candidacy and platform are an entirely different conversation, of which I agree with what you're hinting at.
    I certainly have a lot of sympathy for him as a recovering stutterer who deals with it daily, but the cynic in me wonders if his campaign floated that out there just after the tepid initial debate performances to excuse what appeared to be a guy losing his fastball a little bit. Which is fine when you're pushing 80 after all, but the guy we've seen on stage is not the guy that was debating with Paul Ryan in 2012, or Sarah Palin in 2008.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I've been telling my 21 year-old daughter (and all the young adults who work for me) this since 2016. Get out the vote! Get registered early and exercise your Constitutional right to vote. I won't make any recommendations on who to vote for, but I will be saddened if you don't vote.

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    I certainly have a lot of sympathy for him as a recovering stutterer who deals with it daily, but the cynic in me wonders if his campaign floated that out there just after the tepid initial debate performances to excuse what appeared to be a guy losing his fastball a little bit. Which is fine when you're pushing 80 after all, but the guy we've seen on stage is not the guy that was debating with Paul Ryan in 2012, or Sarah Palin in 2008.
    According to the article, it wasn't a story that he or the campaign actively tried to tell (apparently). From reading the article, it seemed as though it's something he's dealt with all his life and has tried not to let define him.

But I agree, he's pushing 80, like a lot of his fellow statemen/women. It's been time for a lot of them to step aside. But again, that's a whole other conversation and just a small facet of the problem/s we're facing.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Amy kicks ass, but it's more about where she can kick ass. Like in those hallowed halls.

Amy Klobuchar can win where Democrats need to win in 2020 - Kay Steiger
    Last edited by thollandpe; 02-21-2020 at 08:39 PM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to the article, it wasn't a story that he or the campaign actively tried to tell (apparently). From reading the article, it seemed as though it's something he's dealt with all his life and has tried not to let define him.

But I agree, he's pushing 80, like a lot of his fellow statemen/women. It's been time for a lot of them to step aside. But again, that's a whole other conversation and just a small facet of the problem/s we're facing.
    Kris, thanks for the link above. I had read it but it had slipped my mind while watching the town hall. That said, I still think some, or most, of what I was picking up on was him losing his train of thought. That ability to land the punch, so to speak.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Because there are so many examples of the checks and balances working as designed?
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Why do you think the Russian government thinks it’s best for Russia if he’s re-elected?
    This explains...

In one incident, a series of realities about Trump’s presidency seem to be confirmed | Washington Post
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Re: Who will challenge Trump? Who you like?

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    "...Because there are so many examples of the checks and balances working as designed?..."
    Nobody said our system of government is perfect. This grand experiment of the USA is far better than any other systems out there.
    Over passage of time sunlight is a great disinfectant. Reports are now being published Russia is promoting Senator Sanders election.

Other countries are going to attempt do that. It is what they do. We must maintain our safeguards.
    I am sure the USA has had a hand in how other nations select leaders over the past 100+ years, too.