User Tag List

Page 101 of 150 FirstFirst ... 919293949596979899100101102103104105106107108109110111 ... LastLast
Results 2,001 to 2,020 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    If you're talking about Clean Water Act, the senate overruled Nixon's veto.
    Nixon gave us the EPA (yes, I come down on the side of "protecting the environment" = "good"; I know some disagree).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Holy shit, you got all that angst out of my short post? Do you think Biden is a good choice? Have you watched his interviews or read the transcripts? Trump is an idiot, but a coherent idiot, for every good thing he does, he says a dozen stupid things, but he has bullied his way through life and likely will take the same approach with Biden.
    Biden is not a threat to the US democracy and democracy's legitimacy through out the world.

I believe in democracy not oligarchy, and not authoritarianism.

What do you believe in?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    There are many who will support him no matter what. He’s almost a messiah-like figure for many Americans, including many senior senators and representatives.

His party has certainly abandoned their talk of constitutional purity and traditional conservatism to appease him.
    Absolutely, but the question remains whether that base is large enough to win him an election. His base wasn't even really enough to secure the nomination the first time around without some handwringing about a contested convention. And he's done nothing to expand that base. The party lost the suburbs and college-educated voters in droves in the mid-terms, and that was before a pandemic that killed 110,000 and counting Americans and an economic crisis on par with the Great Depression.

He has a rabid fan base, but he's turned off anyone who's not a true believer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Wait, whut?! I agree with the idiot part, but coherent?
    tRump was very coherent when he slammed John Mcain for being a POW

But who really cares about that because he was a Navy Pilot - not like a real pilot from the Airforce - I mean Space Force

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    tRump was very coherent when he slammed John Mcain for being a POW

But who really cares about that because he was a Navy Pilot - not like a real pilot from the Airforce - I mean Space Force
    I mean, sure he occasionally strings together actual words in an order that is comprehensible to those of us reasonably well versed in English, but he spews a pretty good amount of gibberish. Fortunately I understand most of it because I live with a 4 year old so deciphering nonsense is a requirement in my house. But it's not easy.
    "I guess you're some weird relic of an obsolete age." - davids

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I mean, sure he occasionally strings together actual words in an order that is comprehensible to those of us reasonably well versed in English, but he spews a pretty good amount of gibberish. Fortunately I understand most of it because I live with a 4 year old so deciphering nonsense is a requirement in my house. But it's not easy.
    Living with a toddler is like living with a drunk - wild mood swings, strange thoughts, walk funny, talk funny, eat with their hands and wet themselves - Poor Melania and his first two mail orders

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, no. Fuck Melania. She is as complicit as her piece of shit husband. I had a measure of sympathy for her in the beginning. Not anymore. Fuck the whole Trump family, in fact (save, perhaps, Tiffany and Baron). They're all a bunch of tone deaf good-for-nothing mooching assholes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, if the trump supporters in this thread are changing their vote, well all I can say is thank you! As a poc and a son of an immigrant, what I've seen/read the last few years is not an America I’m proud of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Re: debates, my prediction is that Trump is too much of a coward to participate in them.
    Wait, didn't we just do this like, 6 months ago maybe, in this very same thread?!?! And then the consensus was: tRump is too much of a narcissist to turn down an opportunity to appear on TV. His entire support team [sic] could be saying "Mr. Pussydent, you have nothing to gain! Just sit back and cruise to the polls, you're the incumbent, YOU DON'T HAVE TO APPEAR IN A DEBATE!" and he'd be like "ooh, public appearance? sign me up!"

I got $10 sez he shows up for any/all debates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From the Guardian. As much as the protests set out to achieve an important aim, I suspect, combined with re-opening, you'll see spikes in the weeks ahead.
    Cases spike in California and US Southwest

Coronavirus cases and hospitalisations are spiking in parts of California and the US Southwest, prompting Arizona to reactivate its emergency plan for medical facilities and California to place counties where half its population lives on a watch list, Reuters reports.

The uptick in cases, which could lead authorities to reimpose or tighten public health restrictions aimed at slowing the virus’ spread, complicates efforts to reopen the US economy, which has been devastated by shelter-at-home rules.

US-VIRUS-HEALTH-NAVAJO-ELDERSBeverly Gorman, a Navajo elder, feeds a newborn lamb with grandchild Nizhoni and daughter Naiyahnikai near the Navajo Nation town of Steamboat in Arizona on 23 May 2020.
    US-VIRUS-HEALTH-NAVAJO-ELDERS
    Beverly Gorman, a Navajo elder, feeds a newborn lamb with grandchild Nizhoni and daughter Naiyahnikai near the Navajo Nation town of Steamboat in Arizona on 23 May 2020. Photograph: Mark Ralston/AFP/Getty Images
    New Jersey, one of the states hit hardest by the pandemic, with over 12,000 deaths, lifted its stay-at-home order on Tuesday.

More than 18 million of California’s 39 million residents live in counties now on the watch list, which includes Los Angeles, Santa Clara and Fresno, a Reuters analysis showed.

“Many of the cases that are showing up in hospitals are linked to gatherings that are taking place in homes - birthday parties and funerals,” said Olivia Kasirye, public health director of Sacramento County, one of the nine counties on the state watch list that may eventually require them to roll back reopening efforts.

Arizona was among the first states to reopen in mid-May and its cases have increased 115% since then, leading a former state health chief to warn that a new stay-at-home order or field hospitals may be needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoonjr View Post
    Wow, if the trump supporters in this thread are changing their vote, well all I can say is thank you! As a poc and a son of an immigrant, what I've seen/read the last few years is not an America I’m proud of.
    right? and now hes back to flaunting DACA as a negotiation piece. forget these are humans that contribute greatly to our society, lets use them as pawns in a stupid game of gimme what i want, not what the people need.
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    From the Guardian. As much as the protests set out to achieve an important aim, I suspect, combined with re-opening, you'll see spikes in the weeks ahead.
    Cases spike in California and US Southwest

Coronavirus cases and hospitalisations are spiking in parts of California and the US Southwest, prompting Arizona to reactivate its emergency plan for medical facilities and California to place counties where half its population lives on a watch list, Reuters reports.

The uptick in cases, which could lead authorities to reimpose or tighten public health restrictions aimed at slowing the virus’ spread, complicates efforts to reopen the US economy, which has been devastated by shelter-at-home rules.

US-VIRUS-HEALTH-NAVAJO-ELDERSBeverly Gorman, a Navajo elder, feeds a newborn lamb with grandchild Nizhoni and daughter Naiyahnikai near the Navajo Nation town of Steamboat in Arizona on 23 May 2020.
    US-VIRUS-HEALTH-NAVAJO-ELDERS
    Beverly Gorman, a Navajo elder, feeds a newborn lamb with grandchild Nizhoni and daughter Naiyahnikai near the Navajo Nation town of Steamboat in Arizona on 23 May 2020. Photograph: Mark Ralston/AFP/Getty Images
    New Jersey, one of the states hit hardest by the pandemic, with over 12,000 deaths, lifted its stay-at-home order on Tuesday.

More than 18 million of California’s 39 million residents live in counties now on the watch list, which includes Los Angeles, Santa Clara and Fresno, a Reuters analysis showed.

“Many of the cases that are showing up in hospitals are linked to gatherings that are taking place in homes - birthday parties and funerals,” said Olivia Kasirye, public health director of Sacramento County, one of the nine counties on the state watch list that may eventually require them to roll back reopening efforts.

Arizona was among the first states to reopen in mid-May and its cases have increased 115% since then, leading a former state health chief to warn that a new stay-at-home order or field hospitals may be needed.
    I'll be a devil's advocate here. A 'spike' of 115% growth sounds bad, however, the larger issue is whether the number was 1% to 2.15% or 3% to 6.45%. You are still bouncing around the 1-2.5% range in a lot of these states. Nothing seems to trend up up and away. (Yet) The issue is with some social distancing, better hygiene, masks, the rate stays in the 1-2.5% long term. If so, not a bad result all things considered when wanting to keep the economy going.

The emphasis needs to be on continued 'easy' measures as noted above. That may be enough... The problem is when MAGA supporters seem to think not wearing a mask is some kind of political statement that has value.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

7 week totals are rising for some states, which is important but some of the states where things are rising did not previously have high totals so the increases, while records, are not all of the same magnitude state to state. That doesn't mean it isn't concerning of course, but most of the professionals have been predicting this.

Looks like North Carolina was smart to stick to their guns on the Republican National Convention.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ations-rising/
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    President Trump just said he “would love to have the country opened up, and just raring to go, by Easter”.

Yes, me too. I would love that.

But I am an adult. I have learned that sometimes I must delay gratification. I have learned that sometimes I must even experience some pain and/or humiliation (vaccines, colonoscopies, etc.) in order to prevent greater future pain (Shingles, flus, colon cancer.)

Our president has the patience of a small child. He has the entitlement of a small child. He has the empathy of a small child. He has the leadership skills of a small child.

I think we are all probably familiar with the Stanford marshmallow test: You can have one marshmallow now or, if you can wait five minutes, you can have two marshmallows then. President Trump has just demonstrated - as if anyone really needed more evidence - that he would fail a test designed for small children.

I want to scream, but instead I decided I'd rather watch Todd Sanchez, who is not only not President, he's a cartoon character:

It appears that Krugman reads me: Opinion | Coronavirus Reopenings as a Marshmallow Test for Society - The New York Times
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

By my reading of the stats at Worldometer.com, Florida is entering the second wave. The protests might have made this worse but it started too early to have been caused by them.

Florida was always a likely case due to the actions of its governor and his cheer squad.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

O.C. health officer resigns after coronavirus controversy - Los Angeles Times

Orange County’s chief health officer resigned Monday after several intense weeks defending her countywide face mask order in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

The mask order, which requires that people wear face coverings while in public, faced immediate resistance after Dr. Nichole Quick mandated it in late May. Some residents and elected officials have challenged the need for the widespread use of face coverings as businesses in the region reopen. That ire at times was directly aimed at Quick.

The Orange County Sheriff’s Department provided a security detail for Quick after she received what officials deemed to be a death threat during a county Board of Supervisors meeting last month.

During another Board of Supervisors meeting, some members of the public brought a poster with Quick’s photo on it with a Hitler mustache on her face and swastikas.

Coronavirus: 13 new deaths, 147 new cases in Orange County as of June 1 – Orange County Register

The Orange County Health Care Agency reported another 13 deaths attributed to the coronavirus as of Wednesday, June 10.

The county has had 54 people die in the past 14 days, according to a state health department database.

Of the 198 reported deaths since the start of tracking the virus in the county, 92 were among skilled nursing facility residents.

Some 76% of those who have died were older than 65.

The county also noted another 147 new positive tests in the last day, raising the total in the county to 7,737 since the start of testing in March. The average number of new cases for the past seven days is 162 a day.

Of the 7,737 confirmed cases, 833 were residents in skilled nursing facilities and 384 were Orange County Jail inmates.

The county has also started releasing an estimate for the number of recoveries from the virus, which was about 3,511 as of Wednesday’s update.

Orange County population: 3.176 Million

For the 116th United States Congress in the United States House of Representatives, Orange County is split between seven congressional districts:

California's 38th congressional district, represented by Democrat Linda Sánchez,
    California's 39th congressional district, represented by Democrat Gil Cisneros,
    California's 45th congressional district, represented by Democrat Katie Porter,
    California's 46th congressional district, represented by Democrat Lou Correa,
    California's 47th congressional district, represented by Democrat Alan Lowenthal,
    California's 48th congressional district, represented by Democrat Harley Rouda, and
    California's 49th congressional district, represented by Democrat Mike Levin.

Police separate protesters, counter-protesters during Huntington Beach demonstration - ABC7 Los Angeles

All politics are local.

In the California State Senate, Orange County is split into 5 districts:

the 29th Senate District, represented by Republican Ling Ling Chang,
    the 32nd Senate District, represented by Democrat Bob Archuleta,
    the 34th Senate District, represented by Democrat Tom Umberg,
    the 36th Senate District, represented by Republican Patricia Bates, and
    the 37th Senate District, represented by Republican John Moorlach.

In the California State Assembly, Orange County is split into 7 districts:

the 55th Assembly District, represented by Republican Phillip Chen,
    the 65th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Sharon Quirk-Silva,
    the 68th Assembly District, represented by Republican Steven Choi,
    the 69th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Tom Daly,
    the 72nd Assembly District, represented by Republican Tyler Diep,
    the 73rd Assembly District, represented by Republican Bill Brough, and
    the 74th Assembly District, represented by Democrat Cottie Petrie-Norris.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not precisely sure what those stats say, but I would have thought it's a week or two off before the impact of the protests is seen in the figures. That many people in close contact (despite the masks) as well as the physical nature of many of the protests will, regrettably, show up in the figures in due course.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Orange County Total Cases: 7737

Total Cases in states with comparable population

Conn: 44k
    Utah: 12k
    Iowa: 20k
    Nevada: 9k
    Arkansas: 9.1K
    Miss: 18k
    Kansas: 10k

If they're threatening to kill you in one of the least impacted counties in CA....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quarter million dead by the election. It's going to get much worse before it gets better, now that we've waved the white flag on this. Thanks War Time President.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)