Thread: Youth Unemployment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Youth Unemployment

Quote Originally Posted by WayneJ View Post
    This is where the virtual world really sucks.
    In real life, this would segway into a fist-fight, followed by beers and apologies - and maybe new friendships.

Call me if there's going to be a rumble, okay?
    My point was that it was a perfect storm high birth rates, technological and scientific advancement, and legal and financial wizardry. It's human nature to do the convenient thing. Would be the same if it happened to any other generation. It's the feet dragging in regards to righting the ship that doesn't sit well with me. I don't blame individuals, because in my eyes, it's too big of an issue.

That's how I would explain myself to you, Josh, David, or any of the others whom I've met and respect.

Hugs,

C
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    My point was that it was a perfect storm high birth rates, technological and scientific advancement, and legal and financial wizardry. It's human nature to do the convenient thing. Would be the same if it happened to any other generation. It's the feet dragging in regards to righting the ship that doesn't sit we'll with me. I don't blame individuals, because in my eyes, it's too big of an issue.

That's how I would explain myself to you, Josh, David, or any of the others whom I've met and respect.

Hugs,

C
    See this is a very adult thing to say that I like. There is no way one could have gleaned this meaning from what you said earlier. Kuddos for nutting up.
    "Old and standing in the way of progress"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My point was that it was a perfect storm high birth rates, technological and scientific advancement, and legal and financial wizardry. It's human nature to do the convenient thing. Would be the same if it happened to any other generation. It's the feet dragging in regards to righting the ship that doesn't sit well with me. I don't blame individuals, because in my eyes, it's too big of an issue.

Hugs,

C
    I agree completely. Having two daughters that did many things in school really well and performed admirably in college, the fact is, they entered the workforce at one of the worst times in modern history. I'm proud they've shrugged it off, looked forward and didn't focus on blaming any one thing. They just went out and made life happen. I spend a lot of time looking in the rearview mirror and trying to place blame where I think it belongs. It's very counter-productive and despite the occasional gratification it brings (when I can say I was right), there's very little value. I'd be better off if I followed the forward-looking path of my kids.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree completely. Having two daughters that did many things in school really well and performed admirably in college, the fact is, they entered the workforce at one of the worst times in modern history. I'm proud they've shrugged it off, looked forward and didn't focus on blaming any one thing. They just went out and made life happen. I spend a lot of time looking in the rearview mirror and trying to place blame where I think it belongs. It's very counter-productive and despite the occasional gratification it brings (when I can say I was right), there's very little value. I'd be better off if I followed the forward-looking path of my kids.
    Waynej, I hear you, but I wish our children didn't shrug it off and became politically more active. I felt people started to try with OWS, but the powers that be used some heavy handed tactics to squelch it before it could become organized. It's a shame.
    Douglas

If you start a rumble sometime, let me know. It'll be just like it was when I was a kid playing hockey. You know the old saying: I went to a fight and a hockey game broke out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My parents are boomers ... and while they are in constant fear of an economic crisis, they sure as fuck don't want to pay more taxes, more for healthcare, or even recycle or ... so there's that.

Kids today ... I know a few in their early twenties entering the job force. The ones who were raised by families with drive are fucking driven and are making places for themselves in society doing good shit. The ones who had lazy/naive parents are standing by waiting for things to happen to them (and boy is shit being thrown upon them). Yes we live in a messed up time these days, but drive is drive and people who can find their roads inward will survive (and that fucking rhymed).

* i've had 4 torpedos. sorry for the language.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    My parents are boomers ... and while they are in constant fear of an economic crisis, they sure as fuck don't want to pay more taxes, more for healthcare, or even recycle or ... so there's that.

Kids today ... I know a few in their early twenties entering the job force. The ones who were raised by families with drive are fucking driven and are making places for themselves in society doing good shit. The ones who had lazy/naive parents are standing by waiting for things to happen to them (and boy is shit being thrown upon them). Yes we live in a messed up time these days, but drive is drive and people who can find their roads inward will survive (and that fucking rhymed).

* i've had 4 torpedos. sorry for the language.
    Torpedos still come in groups of six, right? Don't stop - I like rhymes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hugs,

C

that is spot on
    and i don't even care that you don't respect me for hating dirt roads and having grey hair. i luvs ya the same.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marcelia View Post
    that is spot on
    and i don't even care that you don't respect me for hating dirt roads and having grey hair. i luvs ya the same.
    I dont think it is the grey hair and dirt roads, but the interest in the Fiat 500.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    I dont think it is the grey hair and dirt roads, but the interest in the Fiat 500.
    oof, this internet is tough
    and that car (the abarth) will be well regarded for a long time, mark my words. i still kinda regret not getting one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Torpedos still come in groups of six, right? Don't stop - I like rhymes.
    Wayne - you've raised a fine young lady, right? She rides a Sachs - that is the gateway to opportunity. Tell us the right way to raise them.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is spot on
    You have no idea how bad I want grey hair. So far I only got about a dozen in my beard and one in my right eyebrow. Hoping they migrate north, not south; ya dig?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and that car (the abarth) will be well regarded for a long time, mark my words. i still kinda regret not getting one.
    You haven't told us what you did get, so we can't ridicule about that...yet.

The Abarth is probably a fun car, but the progeny of Mopar and Fiat...

In any event, Chase is going to get grey pubes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maunahaole View Post
    You haven't told us what you did get, so we can't ridicule about that...yet.

The Abarth is probably a fun car, but the progeny of Mopar and Fiat...

In any event, Chase is going to get grey pubes.
    I'm sure the grey hairs make a pit stop at that weird patch on my right shoulder first.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

by people with degrees from clown college maybe.....
    bamboo, aluminum, wood.

My name is Craig Gaulzetti.

www.summercycles.com

www.gaulzetti.co

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I, for one, really do not need to know any of this. Tell these secrets to your dog. You can trust that your dog won't divulge them to anyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    by people with degrees from clown college maybe.....

Put simply, an MX-5 feels more alive at 30mph than most other cars feel at 100.

So, every time Mazda changes something on its little sports car, I’m worried the end result will be a bit more serious, a bit more “driver-oriented”, a bit more ****. And that the original recipe will have been ruined.

I realise, of course, that an original can be improved, no matter how good it may have been. You have only to listen to the Hothouse Flowers’ version of I Can See Clearly Now to understand this. But, for every original that’s improved, there are a thousand that are ruined.
    That’s why I approached the recently facelifted version of the MX-5 with a heavy heart and a sense of foreboding.

Let me give you an example. Mazda has fitted the engine with a forged crankshaft, floating pistons and new valve gear. It all sounds like the wet dream of a diehard, adenoidal car bore. But don’t worry. Despite all the work, the amount of power the engine produces remains exactly as it was before. And it’s the same story with the torque. The only real change is that you can now rev to 7500rpm before you need to change gear. And it all sounds a bit more sporty.

The company has changed the front suspension too, and that worried me as well. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the setup in the old car, so why fiddle? Plainly it was simply to keep the engineers out of Hiroshima’s love hotels, because it is just as sparkling and brilliant as it was before. Maybe it’s a bit more focused, a bit sharper. But only if you concentrate, and that’s the thing about the MX-5. You don’t concentrate: you’re way too busy having a nice time.

Inside, you now get Recaro seats and higher-quality switches, but I didn’t notice these either.

I said recently that the BMW Z4 is the best of the open sports cars, but after a couple of days with the Mazda I realised I was talking nonsense. The BMW is excellent but the MX-5 demonstrates that its extra speed, extra grip and extra size is all a bit wasteful. In the little Japanese car you get exactly what you need, and exactly the space you need, and nothing more.

I realise that the swallow-chested bike racers among you will be scoffing and tutting and heading straight for this column on the internet so you can speak your mind. You will say “girl’s car” and “gay” and all sorts of other things.

Well, that’s fine. You waste your money on a Mustang or a Ferrari. The fact is that if you want a sports car, the MX-5 is perfect. Nothing on the road will give you better value. Nothing will give you so much fun. The only reason I’m giving it five stars is because I can’t give it 14.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jitahs View Post
    an MX-5
    Why not just call it a Miata?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clarkson is a good writer. And that's got to be Clarkson.

Quote Originally Posted by Look585 View Post
    The writer is from the UK, where the car is named the MX-5. Miata is a US-only moniker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Look585 View Post
    That quote was from Jeremy Clarkson, a Brit, whose country is England, where they call it the mx-5 for some reason. Mazda changed the name here to throw the swallow-chested (I added that. Sue me.) off the "gay" image.

I have two: the '96 says Miata, the '06 says mx-5. I call them both Miata and they are fun as hell to drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Clarkson is a good writer. And that's got to be Clarkson.

The writer is from the UK, where the car is named the MX-5. Miata is a US-only moniker.
    Ding! edit to my response: they now call it the mx-5 Miata. Foot in past/foot in present thing.