Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 64 of 112 FirstFirst ... 545556575859606162636465666768697071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

i mentioned this a few pages back and believe there will be some alternate world / upside down approach to life for a while. restaurants will advertise their staff is 100% c19 recovered certified. hotels will advertise the same and/or that hotel rooms haven't been opened in 72 hrs. there will probably be 10000 little things like that. doctors offices where there is a c19 recovered and c19 not-recovered areas. different entrances to hospitals. certifications to work.

i half wonder about companies providing dorms, cafeteria, and life services for the duration of a project. imagine building an apartment complex or even a house in the woods. if everyone is living onsite with all the materials, you work until its complete, and then leave the site. there is no c19 because everyone is quarantined together. it probably slows down all kinds of sickness while also increasing all kinds of other problems of a micro-society with loved ones at a distance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gosh and I'll I want for xmaschannukahkwanza is a hug.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A lot of studies about labor costs and social mobility (self-made man etc.) after the peak mortality years of the Black Plague that basically killed off 50% of the population in Europe. Confluence of factors afterward, some directly related to the social shifts from population reduction and others more indirectly, may have led the way to movements such as the fall of the Byzantine Empire, the Italian and Northern Rennaissance, religious reformations in the 14-1500's, etc. Obviously I am over-simplifying, but epidemics definitely leave scars.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johnmdesigner View Post
    The simple solution is not to listen to the NRA crap and make a generous donation to your local food bank.
    Thank you.

My wife - a public school nurse whose workday is dramatically different than usual - has been volunteering to distribute food three mornings each week. The need is large and pervasive and will only grow.

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I was thinking about the serology tests, and if you have the antigens/antibodies you are allowed to go back to work. Fed Gov Bullard is proposing something like this. This introduces an interesting dynamic to the labor market. If I am a minimum wage employee at Amazon, Walmart, a restaurant doing take out, and I have the antibody test, I would demand a raise. It is of incremental benefit to the employer. You are competing in a reduced labor market, a takeaway shop with all cooks being immune is no longer a risk of contaminating the food etc. It's be a marketing boon. I am sure you are immediately employable. Since many corporations refuse to allow unionism, this shifts the negotiating power back to you. You are by default part of a select union.. For large parts of the country not experiencing clusters, this may not be an issue, but for New York, Detroit and other urban areas, definitely an issue.
    There's also a hypothesis that there's some advantageous respiratory microbiome that provides certain people with much better resistance. Thank God for all these smart people pursuing all these possible avenues!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The flip side of everyone suddenly putting their antibodies on their resumes and LinkedIn profiles is beyond dark. At least no one has to get genetic testing to get a job yet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure how many have seen this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The chances of Tesla being able to make these in volume still seems low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question about soap:

When the bar of soap becomes small (yeah, I like bars of soap instead of those liquid thingies that often come in plastic bottles, and I'm not even a boomer), lathering up can be difficult. If it doesn't lather, is it less effective in cleaning your hands?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    A question about soap:

When the bar of soap becomes small (yeah, I like bars of soap instead of those liquid thingies that often come in plastic bottles, and I'm not even a boomer), lathering up can be difficult. If it doesn't lather, is it less effective in cleaning your hands?
    How to Wash Your Hands - The New York Times
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Liquid soap might be better (when they say "best", did they also have powder soap in mind?), but I like bar soap so I still want to know. ;)
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question about soap:

Gawd you are serious and am I the only other one who struggles? Laughing at the two of us. Take a wash cloth, get it soaking wet. Put the too thin to grasp wafer of soap onto the soaking wet cloth. Fold over and rub until you have extracted enough soap to do whatever-it-is-we-do with that. Open the cloth and enjoy.

xxoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A question about soap:

Other than the effect of the hardness or softness of your water, soap lather comes from captured bubbles in the soap. Soap that lathers well is made with a step that increases the porousness of the soap. Dove is made that way. When you get down to the last sliver of soap, there are probably fewer bubbles in the soap and so lathering is subdued. My mother used to leave soap out to dry and the shrinkage in bar size was noticeable. Her contention was that if you dried soap, it lasted longer, which drove my father the chemist to the edge of insanity. He'd say all you were doing was compressing the voids in the soap as it dried and so it lathered less effectively. You were still using soap at the same rate. Anyway....

https://www.instructables.com/id/Reforming-Soap-Scraps/
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-07-2020 at 01:37 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

A question about soap:

When the bar of soap becomes small...
    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Gawd you are serious and am I the only other one who struggles?
    You guys are all honorary Swamp Yankees. A trick I learned from some depression-era Mainers is to put all the soap slivers in an old nylon stocking, tie it off (two knots if there's a hole in the toe) and hang it in the shower.

And ain't it a little heartbreak when you break the soap sliver in half?
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only V Salon could abide, I swear to.....
    Why not melt the scraps and pour yourself a soap Golum?
    Honest Chik we are not taking advantage of your plight or mine. TSIR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My wife the nurse says regular visits to walk in clinics in southwest Michigan are way down because of social distancing. Because people are avoiding each other they aren't getting infected with the normal amounts of colds and regular flu.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

And ain't it a little heartbreak when you break the soap sliver in half?
    That moment when it snaps and you stare in frustration at the sliver on the shower floor. Maddening.
    Will Neide (pronounced Nighty, like the thing worn to bed)

Webpage : : Flickr : : Tumblr : : Facebook
    Instagram: wilco_cycleworks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We use Dr. Bronner's so when you're down to seeds and stems ya gotta find the little pea of soap crust that clogs up the bung and use that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Put it in direct sunlight.
    Could you or Will or maybe someone else speak to thoughts on decontamination that does not include washing. sunlight, simply leaving something and not touching it for x days, heat and/or what temperatures are effective, etc. with all the focus on sanitizing and masks, it seems like the focus on other methods is not as high. the main media reports i see are on UV, which is not 100% practical at home outside of a small phone size box, and how long things live on surfaces. i don't see much information on sunlight etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Gawd you are serious and am I the only other one who struggles? Laughing at the two of us. Take a wash cloth, get it soaking wet. Put the too thin to grasp wafer of soap onto the soaking wet cloth. Fold over and rub until you have extracted enough soap to do whatever-it-is-we-do with that. Open the cloth and enjoy.

xxoo
    As usual and expected, there's too much overthinking VS-style (talc your tubes much?) Just leaving the old soap sliver on top of the new bar of soap while both are wet will result in their being welded together if allowed to dry. Just to add more noise, I've found that inexpensive unscented olive oil based soap is easier on dry hands than bath soap with deodorants, scents, dyes etc. My layman's understanding of the efficacy of soap is that it actually breaks down the virus coating, which is ... oh hell here's a link to a chem major's explanation. Washing hands with soap fights coronavirus. Here’s why it works so well. - Vox

Here's an Amazon source, though shockingly expensive- I usually buy this from a local food co-op for about a buck fiddy a bar. It lasts longer than most commercial soap and the old slivers hold up! But it is V-salon, so the price makes it legit! But is is much nicer for frequent washing than Irish Spring or Dove or whatever. I hate stinky soap

https://www.amazon.com/Olive-Scented.../dp/B07H7XBWZ7

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bar for the shower. Touchless dispenser for the sink.