User Tag List

Thread: COVID19 Donations/Giving consolidated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default COVID19 Donations/Giving consolidated

Getting right to it. Please recommend vetted destinations for donations related to COVID19. Rather than scattershot our recommends we can put this in one thread. In my own estimation, saying "Thanks" or sending well intentions is overshadowed by a need for $$, blood, your time etc.

What to know about the Coronavirus and Blood Donation | American Red Cross

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: COVID19 Donations/Giving consolidated

I think one of the best locations for donation are local food banks. If 250,000 die, how many of those people will be primary breadwinners? Parents? Small business owners? Jobs are going to die too. Food will be needed.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I think one of the best locations for donation are local food banks. If 250,000 die, how many of those people will be primary breadwinners? Parents? Small business owners? Jobs are going to die too. Food will be needed.
    Montgomery County Maryland Food Bank : Manna Food Center | Eliminating hunger in Montgomery County, Maryland since 1983

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

St Mary's Food Bank in Phoenix gets my money. It is a Catholic based charity but they distribute pallets of food to any food bank in need. Here in Kingman, they're supplying the local Catholic church, Seventh Day Adventists, and even the JW's are in it. It isn't based on any church here, the churches are just being used as storage and distribution points.

Home - St. Mary's Food Bank
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent thread TT!

My wife and I gave a big donation to the Boston Resiliency Fund, which is an umbrella fund for the City. Good people making informed decisions about allocating millions of dollars.

And then we spent a few hundred dollars on gift cards to a bunch of our favorite local businesses, restaurants and stores. To be both helpful and (future) self-serving!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Denver Restaurant Workers Fund

I just started a Denver Restaurant Workers Fund. All proceeds will go to restaurant and bar workers to help pay as many bills as possible, food, clothing, whatever they need during these times.

Pre-order a shirt or two or just make a donation on the site.

Denver Restaurant Workers Fund

DRWF SHIRT FINAL-02.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

NYC Rescue Mission
    Bowery Mission of NY
    Food Bank of NY
    City Harvest
    Gods Love We Deliver
    Meals on Wheels
    All were important before. Needed now more than ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love that so many of us are giving locally!

...although johnmdesigner's post reminded me that we gave to God's Love We Deliver in honor of a Brooklyn friend's 60th birthday.

The Boston analog is Community Servings, if you're interested in another amazing essential organization.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also if you have a volunteer fire and rescue company and they send out a plea for funds, give generously. Our local is Hillsdale Fire Company #1. They are first responders, so whenever there is a 911 call, they respond - which means, they are the first people through the door when a covid-19 related call comes in. And they are volunteers.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Below are details confirming your upcoming donation appointment:

Sponsor Name: xx American Red Cross
    Site: xxx Blood Donation Center
    Address: xxx, Rockville, MD 20852
    Room Name:
    Drive Date: 4/25/2020
    Appointment Time: 10:45 AM
    Procedure Type: Blood

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now is a good time to get to know your neighbor (from a safe distance of course).
    If you live in an apartment building help out the elderly.
    Lots of old people in our building and on my floor.
    I have been making a food run once a week. Slip a note under thetr door and ask them to write down what they need.
    Leave it at their front door.
    Your going to the market anyway. It won't kill you to pick up a few things.
    The elderly rabbi and his wife across the hall from me. We have been through 9/11, Blackouts, and Sandy together. I can't think of nicer neighbors.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Hey Mr. Johnmdesigner, I are old people. (not the only one on this forum) I have had several neighbors text me if I needed any help. I guess their eyes see different than mine do in the mirror. And I appreciate their kindness. I also texted and called several people are certainly a tad older than me. Since we have been hunkered down from early in this mess, our exposure potential has been greatly reduced. I am more worried about the folks offering us help. Young with kids one or both parents out of work that has to be tough. When and if this weather improves we plan to hire a few out of work folks to do solo yard work jobs and send them money on PayPal.

Like others have mentioned we are sourcing out our donations to be as local and as grass roots as they can be. Tipping the heck out of people when this clears up is in our strategy. I do think the the number one priority is to help the local food banks. Our little town of under 80,000 pop. has seen a 70% increase in people requesting food help from the bank. A bunch of locals are helping out with the kids on the reduced lunch program and school buses are out delivering bag lunches for kids. If you drive by one of our food stops with your kids in the car they get free lunch bags whether they are enrolled in state/fed programs or not.

This mess is a grim reality folks please do help if nobody else the local food bank folks, they sure need it, bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fell less abused spending at Homeless Despot now. Below, a missive from management:

Dear Valued Customer:

As our communities battle COVID-19, The Home Depot is committed to providing the essential needs required to maintain your homes and businesses while doing our best to protect you, our valued customers, and our associates. This has resulted in several temporary changes to our business as we look out for your safety and the safety of our associates. We appreciate your patience and cooperation as we work through this challenge together.

Operational Changes & Safety Measures
    As we continue to monitor the evolving circumstances surrounding COVID-19, we have been adjusting our operations to support national, state, and local public health guidance. To date, we have taken several measures for your safety and the safety of our associates, including:

Closing stores early at 6:00 p.m. to allow more time for sanitization and restocking

Limiting the number of customers allowed into stores at one time in the U.S. and Canada

Promoting social and physical distancing practices in stores by marking floors and adding signage to help customers and associates maintain safe distances

Eliminating major spring promotions to avoid driving high levels of traffic to stores

Limiting services and installations to those that are essential for maintenance and repair needs in impacted markets

Distributing thermometers to associates in stores and distribution centers and asking them to perform health checks before reporting to work

Asked all support center associates who can work from home to do so while continuing to support our front-line associates
    Supporting Our Associates
    Our associates are important to your shopping experience. We have implemented the following actions to support them during this crisis:

Added 80 hours of paid time off for all full-time hourly associates and 40 hours of paid time off for part-time hourly associates to be used at their discretion at any time in 2020 and paid out at year-end if not used

For associates who are 65 years of age or older, or determined to be at higher risk by the CDC, added 160 hours of paid time off for full-time hourly associates and 80 hours of paid time off for part-time hourly associates to be used at their discretion at any time in 2020 and paid out at year-end if not used

Providing paid time off for any associate who has contracted COVID-19 until released by a doctor

Providing up to 14 days paid time off for any associate required to be quarantined by a public health authority or the CDC

Providing additional bonuses to hourly associates in stores and distribution centers -- $100 per week for full-time hourly associates and $50 per week for part-time hourly associates

Providing double pay for overtime hours worked by hourly associates

Extended dependent care benefits and waived co-pays
    Supporting Communities
    We have taken a number of steps to support you and the healthcare workers and first responders providing patient care in the midst of the COVID-19 crisis, including:

Weeks ago, voluntarily froze pricing nationwide across product categories in high demand due to COVID-19

Redirected all shipments of N95 masks to be donated to hospitals, healthcare providers and first responders around the country as hospitals made the public aware of shortages

Donating millions of dollars in personal protective equipment (PPE) and other products to hospitals, healthcare providers and first responders

Prioritizing order fulfillment for hospitals, healthcare providers and first responders

Marshalling the resources of our merchandising and supply chain teams to globally source quality products and expedite the availability of needed items
    Expanding Online and Delivery Options
    To better serve you, we have expanded our car and delivery services to make it easier for you to have product delivered from our stores to your homes and businesses. In addition, we are always available for you online at homedepot.com, where you will find a wide array of product and delivery options to meet your needs.

Again, we thank you, our valued customers, for your patience and cooperation as we work through the challenges presented by COVID-19.