Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

View Poll Results: COVID19 Poll (anonymous)

Voters
142. You may not vote on this poll
  • Expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

87 61.27%
  • Do not expect to get COVID19 in the next 365 days

51 35.92%
  • Got it

4 2.82%
  • Tested positive for antibodies

0 0%
Page 56 of 112 FirstFirst ... 464748495051525354555657585960616263646566 ... LastLast
Results 1,101 to 1,120 of 2235

Thread: Covid19

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Covid19

Neil Diamond is a national treasure and can still hold a nice tune.

La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    I don't work in healthcare but this is what Dr Fauci said a couple days ago (cue to 10:40):

Perfect. He talks about immune response at around 10:50 and you are correct he says "every virus" not Corona specifically.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    fibro?
    Woy Woy?
    Thunder box?

Please “google translate”

Mike
    I assume that's a joke but will comply.

Fibro was asbestos cement sheeting, every but as deadly as it sounds. Now made with neutral mineral fibre.

Woy Woy was a small coastal town north of Sydney. It's still there but I understand it's now almost a suburb.

A thunderbox was an outside toilet with an exchangeable waste tin which was picked up weekly by the exchange service. The tin had sawdust in it in a vain attempt to mitigate the noisome result. By day six the chokoes got a good watering rather than having to use the box.

Do I have to explain Chokoes?
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Amunrud View Post
    This will happen all over the country, especially in smaller communities and rural settings. I'm dedicated to do my part now, but what about our community needs long-term?

Just some rambling thoughts...
    You could talk to the community about having them buy the clinic and run it as a co-operative. I am a member of a medical co-op, the model works really well, at least in Australia. In the US, with your crazy system, IDK.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Do I have to explain Chokoes?
    Please!

Love the vernacular. It’s like watching Scots get mad and suddenly realizing you don’t speak the same language.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Choko = Chayote (Sechium edule, though the may my grandmother cooked them it should be Sechium inedule)

chayote-jpg.jpg
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the US, with your crazy system...

Yep. Crazy system indeed. We’re about as independent an organization in U.S. healthcare can get. City owned, but chartered to run on our own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kelly View Post
    Choko = Chayote (Sechium edule, though the may my grandmother cooked them it should be Sechium inedule)

chayote-jpg.jpg
    I really don't know why they became a thing. So many nicer fruits/veggies you could grow...
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We're upping our game a bit. I found my box of nitrile gloves, so we'll be using those shopping. Plus hand sanitizer which we are almost out of. Then washing hands as soon as we arrive back home as per usual. And my sister-in-law is sending us some of her handmade masks (made as per health guidelines from some medical authority) that she is sewing and sending to hospitals by the 10's and 20's daily. We'll wear those while out and about (thanks CDC - not.) My father the 87 year old chemist has advised that we should wipe down all boxes and products that enter the house from elsewhere with a dilute bleach solution. Magically I have a sprayer, bleach and a gallon jug.

We already feel like we've been super careful. We basically spend most of the day in the house or out on the back patio, with once a day walks somewhere midday to afternoon. But I think with all this talk about the peak and 3 weeks being a magic number in some people's head, I think some people will start to get sloppy - which is totally understandable. This is a stressful state of mindfulness and it is wearing. But I think these next several weeks to months will actually require some additional rigor to our methods, not less.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, a friend pointed out that if we don't have it, then the game is ours to lose. In our house, we've been pretty diligent. Every time we've let our guard down even a bit, though, it's been more anxiety than it's worth (e.g. our kid winds up riding his strider bike with the neighbor kid and they are parallel to each other for four or five minutes; e.g. a beer run where I forget my mask, etc.). Since about two weeks ago, though, we have been able to do all online shopping and are cloroxing the living daylights out of everything that comes in the house. The mail or carboard package delivers stay outside for 48 hours. Otherwise, we aren't going bloody anywhere.

Oh, and be vigilant about your person and people ... I burned myself on a piece of charcoal from the grill doing something stupid and realized tiny errors can precipitate a guaranteed encounter with a healthcare facility. I might be able to gut out a burn or even give myself stitches, or h*ll, even ride out a snakebite (believe it or not, they say benadryl goes a long way on even a copperhead bite if it's not infected; same goes for dogs, too).. but something happens to one of my kids? That's another story.
    Go time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Re: Covid19

Yep, based on new reports we are going to glove-up for grocery shopping.
    Also will opt for masks for this same public-facing task.
    I will also let mail sit for 48-72 hours...given no true reason to open it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Apologies if asked before. Do you cats with laboratory level best practices expect to make it through the next few months infection free? Or is there a talismanic element to your methodologies. I ask as an individual on the West Coast who isn't familiar with a single household following the rigors outlined in many posts above.

Mentioned, I'm sure:

Life on Coronavirus Lockdown in China | The New Yorker

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    Apologies if asked before. Do you cats with laboratory level best practices expect to make it through the next few months infection free? Or is there a talismanic element to your methodologies. I ask as an individual on the West Coast who isn't familiar with a single household following the rigors outlined in many posts above.

Mentioned, I'm sure:

Life on Coronavirus Lockdown in China | The New Yorker
    I don’t know what the next few months will hold. I hope I never get this. If I do, I am afraid of my chances of survival. I have asthma and tend to get bronchial infections. I’d rather do what I can to hopefully avoid getting infected or at least delay that point until my chances might be better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

j44ke, two weeks ago, I gave up pleading with my friends to follow some of the obvious procedures which I'm sure will be widely recommended or required by the end of April. Friends who work in hospitals mix their households. Friends who have not left their homes in March order take out daily (and are just beginning to sanitize their boxes, bags and containers). Friends who work from home are riding 2-3 hours daily. And neighbors sit outside in their front yards chatting away with other neighbors with 6 feet of false security.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Yes, a friend pointed out that if we don't have it, then the game is ours to lose. In our house, we've been pretty diligent. Every time we've let our guard down even a bit, though, it's been more anxiety than it's worth (e.g. our kid winds up riding his strider bike with the neighbor kid and they are parallel to each other for four or five minutes; e.g. a beer run where I forget my mask, etc.). Since about two weeks ago, though, we have been able to do all online shopping and are cloroxing the living daylights out of everything that comes in the house. The mail or carboard package delivers stay outside for 48 hours. Otherwise, we aren't going bloody anywhere.

Oh, and be vigilant about your person and people ... I burned myself on a piece of charcoal from the grill doing something stupid and realized tiny errors can precipitate a guaranteed encounter with a healthcare facility. I might be able to gut out a burn or even give myself stitches, or h*ll, even ride out a snakebite (believe it or not, they say benadryl goes a long way on even a copperhead bite if it's not infected; same goes for dogs, too).. but something happens to one of my kids? That's another story.
    Go time.
    Obviously everyone needs to be mindful of their surroundings but at the same time don't overthink this. If you have a second degree burn, a cut significant enough to require stitches, or a venomous snakebite you should still go to the Urgent Care or Emergency Room. Your risk of contracting and dying from covid-19 due to a single hospital visit is a lot lower than having a bad result from self treating a mild to moderate injury.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by beeatnik View Post
    j44ke, two weeks ago, I gave up pleading with my friends to follow some of the obvious procedures which I'm sure will be widely recommended or required by the end of April. Friends who work in hospitals mix their households. Friends who have not left their homes in March order take out daily (and are just beginning to sanitize their boxes, bags and containers). Friends who work from home are riding 2-3 hours daily. And neighbors sit outside in their front yards chatting away with other neighbors with 6 feet of false security.
    The best advice I’ve heard (was it here?) is to act like you have it already and behave in a way that will protect others.

Our friends in Prague say the Czechs have a slogan to go along with mandatory mask wearing in public. It translates roughly as “I wear a mask to protect you. You wear a mask to protect me.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree. But I have little confidence that others will adopt that attitude. I have yet to talk to an acquaintance without a certain cognitive dissonance manifested by a false sense of security: if I stay away from you I won't get sick; because, of course, I'm not infectious. Regional differences, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    The best advice I’ve heard (was it here?) is to act like you have it already and behave in a way that will protect others.

Our friends in Prague say the Czechs have a slogan to go along with mandatory mask wearing in public. It translates roughly as “I wear a mask to protect you. You wear a mask to protect me.”

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Re: Covid19

My sense is that many ostensibly intelligent people still are "not getting it" when it comes to behavior.
    I was walking (alone) and observed what must have been 10-12 kids all getting coached with group tennis lessons.
    Just as if it was another beautiful day in early-springtime. Unsure how the urgent message can be further driven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)